In the hospital again...advice needed

Kerryann

My son, Anthony, is 3 years old and had a Nissen three weeks ago at CHOP after recurrent bouts with aspiration pneumonia over the past several months. Although he did experience wretching the first weeks after surgery, he is now doing great. He is now gaining significant weight for the first time in over one year!

We had the same issue- pulmonary was all for the surgery and GI was reluctant. However, when GI/Surgery saw his CT reports and realized what a hit his lungs were taking from recurrent aspiration, we all decided that the surgery was the best way to preserve his lung function.

So far, so good for us!

Please contact me if you need any other help or have any other questions!

Kerryann

My son, Anthony, is 3 years old and had a Nissen three weeks ago at CHOP after recurrent bouts with aspiration pneumonia over the past several months. Although he did experience wretching the first weeks after surgery, he is now doing great. He is now gaining significant weight for the first time in over one year!

We had the same issue- pulmonary was all for the surgery and GI was reluctant. However, when GI/Surgery saw his CT reports and realized what a hit his lungs were taking from recurrent aspiration, we all decided that the surgery was the best way to preserve his lung function.

So far, so good for us!

Kerryann

So far, so good for us!

Kerryann

So far, so good for us!

Kerryann

<br />
<br />We had the same issue- pulmonary was all for the surgery and GI was reluctant. However, when GI/Surgery saw his CT reports and realized what a hit his lungs were taking from recurrent aspiration, we all decided that the surgery was the best way to preserve his lung function.
<br />
<br />So far, so good for us!
<br />
<br />Please contact me if you need any other help or have any other questions!
<br />
<br />

rcq925

My daughter Hayley had an open Nissen at 3 months old because she was aspriating into her lungs and she actually stopped breathing on a few occasions, very scary! She has had no problems with the Nissen and it was literally a life saver for us. She cannot could not throw up at all for quite some time, but can vomit a little now (Nissen may be loosening a little) and she cannot or does not burp. Sharon is right the absolute key to a successful Nissen is the experience of the surgeon. Find one who has done hundreds if not thousands of Nissens and let the surgeon choose which type of procedure (laprscopically or open) THey know the best way to do it on each specific child. Probably due to Ellie's age, they will have to do it open because she is so little. Hayley also had a G-Tube put in for venting air/gas only. We never used it for feeding and it was pulled out about 2-3 months after the Nissen, once her body adjusted. The scar has really lightened, I barely even notice it anymore. Let me know if you have any other questions!

rcq925

My daughter Hayley had an open Nissen at 3 months old because she was aspriating into her lungs and she actually stopped breathing on a few occasions, very scary! She has had no problems with the Nissen and it was literally a life saver for us. She cannot could not throw up at all for quite some time, but can vomit a little now (Nissen may be loosening a little) and she cannot or does not burp. Sharon is right the absolute key to a successful Nissen is the experience of the surgeon. Find one who has done hundreds if not thousands of Nissens and let the surgeon choose which type of procedure (laprscopically or open) THey know the best way to do it on each specific child. Probably due to Ellie's age, they will have to do it open because she is so little. Hayley also had a G-Tube put in for venting air/gas only. We never used it for feeding and it was pulled out about 2-3 months after the Nissen, once her body adjusted. The scar has really lightened, I barely even notice it anymore. Let me know if you have any other questions!

rcq925

rcq925

rcq925

shimmereestar

We are still debating, her are some of my concerns...

1. What happens if she accidentally eats a posionous plant (like I did when I was a baby) or swallows something that could hurt her and needs to throuw up?

2. What if she gets a stomach virus and cant' throw up?

3. What if she gets food poisoning and can't throw up?

4. Will she burp? How uncomfortable will it be not to be able to burp?

5. Okay and for when she gets older...what if she gets a bit silly with the old bottle (you know those college years) and gets alcohol poisoning?

6. And what about morning sickness?

Obviously I know these are all big what ifs, but I'm really concerned about her not being able to throw up. Any more input? She is gaining weight, skowly at her last doctor visit she sounded clear but she refluxes all the time (but not really projectile (maybe once a week).

Now my peditrician and gastroenterolgist are saying wait... but her pulmonologists are really pushing for it...UGH what do I do?

shimmereestar

1. What happens if she accidentally eats a posionous plant (like I did when I was a baby) or swallows something that could hurt her and needs to throuw up?

5. Okay and for when she gets older...what if she gets a bit silly with the old bottle (you know those college years) and gets alcohol poisoning?

Obviously I know these are all big what ifs, but I'm really concerned about her not being able to throw up. Any more input? She is gaining weight, skowly at her last doctor visit she sounded clear but she refluxes all the time (but not really projectile (maybe once a week).

Now my peditrician and gastroenterolgist are saying wait... but her pulmonologists are really pushing for it...UGH what do I do?

shimmereestar

shimmereestar

shimmereestar

<br />
<br />1. What happens if she accidentally eats a posionous plant (like I did when I was a baby) or swallows something that could hurt her and needs to throuw up?
<br />
<br />2. What if she gets a stomach virus and cant' throw up?
<br />
<br />3. What if she gets food poisoning and can't throw up?
<br />
<br />4. Will she burp? How uncomfortable will it be not to be able to burp?
<br />
<br />5. Okay and for when she gets older...what if she gets a bit silly with the old bottle (you know those college years) and gets alcohol poisoning?
<br />
<br />6. And what about morning sickness?
<br />
<br />Obviously I know these are all big what ifs, but I'm really concerned about her not being able to throw up. Any more input? She is gaining weight, skowly at her last doctor visit she sounded clear but she refluxes all the time (but not really projectile (maybe once a week).
<br />
<br />Now my peditrician and gastroenterolgist are saying wait... but her pulmonologists are really pushing for it...UGH what do I do?

S

sdelorenzo

Is she getting a g-tube or does she already have one? I thought everyone got a button at least for a little while with the nissan. Then the food can be taken out of the g-tube if she gets food poisoning, etc. Also, some like my daughter have never had a problem throwing up with it. My daughter has always been able to burp with it. The g-button allows for the air to leave it necessary.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Is she getting a g-tube or does she already have one? I thought everyone got a button at least for a little while with the nissan. Then the food can be taken out of the g-tube if she gets food poisoning, etc. Also, some like my daughter have never had a problem throwing up with it. My daughter has always been able to burp with it. The g-button allows for the air to leave it necessary.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf