Infant CPT

briarrose

I have a 5-month-old diagnosed with CF when he was born. Our clinic has us doing manual CPT on him once a day for 20 minutes. They keep saying they won't add a second time until he starts coughing during it.<div><br></div><div>Does this sound right? Everything I'm reading says twice a day is normal, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial in the long-run to start twice a day anyway. I find that I'm more aggressive than our clinic, so I wanted to get some feedback from others living through this.</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you!</div><div><br></div><div>Erin</div>

briarrose

I have a 5-month-old diagnosed with CF when he was born. Our clinic has us doing manual CPT on him once a day for 20 minutes. They keep saying they won't add a second time until he starts coughing during it.<br>Does this sound right? Everything I'm reading says twice a day is normal, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial in the long-run to start twice a day anyway. I find that I'm more aggressive than our clinic, so I wanted to get some feedback from others living through this.<br>Thank you!<br>Erin

briarrose

I have a 5-month-old diagnosed with CF when he was born. Our clinic has us doing manual CPT on him once a day for 20 minutes. They keep saying they won't add a second time until he starts coughing during it.<br>Does this sound right? Everything I'm reading says twice a day is normal, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial in the long-run to start twice a day anyway. I find that I'm more aggressive than our clinic, so I wanted to get some feedback from others living through this.<br>Thank you!<br>Erin

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We were always told minimum of twice a day. Our doctor told us 3 times was ideal, more if DS develops a cough or wheeze. You want to keep those lungs happy and healthy, so IMO, why wait for symptoms to occur.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We were always told minimum of twice a day. Our doctor told us 3 times was ideal, more if DS develops a cough or wheeze. You want to keep those lungs happy and healthy, so IMO, why wait for symptoms to occur.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

M

mom2mason

We have always done twice a day since he was 1 month old. We didn't wait until he "needed" it.  IMO it helps your baby (and you) get used to the treatments & the lungs will benefit from additional CPT. <br>

M

mom2mason

We have always done twice a day since he was 1 month old. We didn't wait until he "needed" it. IMO it helps your baby (and you) get used to the treatments & the lungs will benefit from additional CPT. <br>

M

mom2mason

We have always done twice a day since he was 1 month old. We didn't wait until he "needed" it. IMO it helps your baby (and you) get used to the treatments & the lungs will benefit from additional CPT. <br>

briarrose

Thank you for your responses. This is what I thought.

So, as a follow-up, do you give your child albuterol before each treatment or only once? I'm just worried about an increase of the medicine, but I'm assuming that we need the bronchial tubes to be open with each treatment.

For people who do it three or four times a day, do you do albuterol before each treatment?

briarrose

So, as a follow-up, do you give your child albuterol before each treatment or only once? I'm just worried about an increase of the medicine, but I'm assuming that we need the bronchial tubes to be open with each treatment.

For people who do it three or four times a day, do you do albuterol before each treatment?

briarrose

<br />
<br />So, as a follow-up, do you give your child albuterol before each treatment or only once? I'm just worried about an increase of the medicine, but I'm assuming that we need the bronchial tubes to be open with each treatment.
<br />
<br />For people who do it three or four times a day, do you do albuterol before each treatment?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is on albuterol/atrovent nebs with each treatment -- done either before or during CPT to open up the airways.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is on albuterol/atrovent nebs with each treatment -- done either before or during CPT to open up the airways.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to add, that because we'd been doing cpt on ds 4 times a day since he was only a few days old, it actually calmed him and he would fall asleep or sleep thru his treatments. A friend of mine whose daughter was diagnosed until she was 18 months old struggled with CPT treatments -- she would scream and struggle the entire time.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to add, that because we'd been doing cpt on ds 4 times a day since he was only a few days old, it actually calmed him and he would fall asleep or sleep thru his treatments. A friend of mine whose daughter was diagnosed until she was 18 months old struggled with CPT treatments -- she would scream and struggle the entire time.