Infant CPT

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I was reading thru some info regarding the NACF conference last weekend on someone's blog and I saw mention of new studies regarding newborns who were showing signs of airtrapping and other issues. Will try to find that reference, but I believe it was refering to the importance of being proactive asap before obvious symptoms occur.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I was reading thru some info regarding the NACF conference last weekend on someone's blog and I saw mention of new studies regarding newborns who were showing signs of airtrapping and other issues. Will try to find that reference, but I believe it was refering to the importance of being proactive asap before obvious symptoms occur.

K

Kaethe108

I discussed the topic with our phyiotherapist, because I had the feeling we might "miss" something, not really doing any CPT.
She said that the "percussioning" is not done any more in Germany, because studies showed that it is not so effective like other newer methods. She will first teach us how to do passive exercises (like stretching, holding different positions etc.) as long as Livi is still a baby. This we do mainly hopping on a big gymnastics ball. Later Livia will start to do active exercises on her own like "blowing" different things and also autogene drainage.
So no "beating the child" for us...

What do you think about this?

K

Kaethe108

I discussed the topic with our phyiotherapist, because I had the feeling we might "miss" something, not really doing any CPT.
She said that the "percussioning" is not done any more in Germany, because studies showed that it is not so effective like other newer methods. She will first teach us how to do passive exercises (like stretching, holding different positions etc.) as long as Livi is still a baby. This we do mainly hopping on a big gymnastics ball. Later Livia will start to do active exercises on her own like "blowing" different things and also autogene drainage.

K

Kaethe108

K

Kaethe108

I discussed this topic with our physiotherapist because I had the feeling we might "miss" something not really doing any CPT.
She said that the "percussioning" is not done anymore, because there are newer more effective methods.

K

Kaethe108

I discussed this topic with our physiotherapist because I had the feeling we might "miss" something not really doing any CPT.
She said that the "percussioning" is not done anymore, because there are newer more effective methods.

K

Kaethe108

kitomd21

I disagree. You'll find many people on here with CF actually prefer hand CPT when sick...that alone tells me that manual CPT can be beneficial. The vest and exercise are ultimately the best...but she's too young for these. If you picture what manual CPT does vs simply stretching --- you're trying to loosen up the mucus for improved clearance. I don't see how stretching helps...

kitomd21

I disagree. You'll find many people on here with CF actually prefer hand CPT when sick...that alone tells me that manual CPT can be beneficial. The vest and exercise are ultimately the best...but she's too young for these. If you picture what manual CPT does vs simply stretching --- you're trying to loosen up the mucus for improved clearance. I don't see how stretching helps...

kitomd21

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was hospitalized for a bowel obstruction, during the night time treatments, DH or I would do CPT instead of the vest. One evening one of the RTs let DH listen to DS' lungs with the stethescope and pointed out an area that had some isuses, so DH focused CPT on that spot and then they listened again and it was clear.

Our doctor from day one stressed doing CPT -- when DS got a little wheeze from an upper respiratory bug we were told to increase treatments to beat that cough out of him. Something so easy, so simple IMO keeps those little lungs happy and healthy. It's not going to hurt them

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was hospitalized for a bowel obstruction, during the night time treatments, DH or I would do CPT instead of the vest. One evening one of the RTs let DH listen to DS' lungs with the stethescope and pointed out an area that had some isuses, so DH focused CPT on that spot and then they listened again and it was clear.

Our doctor from day one stressed doing CPT -- when DS got a little wheeze from an upper respiratory bug we were told to increase treatments to beat that cough out of him. Something so easy, so simple IMO keeps those little lungs happy and healthy. It's not going to hurt them

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

K

Kaethe108

Next Week we will Be seeing our Doctor again and will Talk with her about it.
I don't want to miss anything that could Be beneficial.

K

Kaethe108

K

Kaethe108

JennyCoulon

<P>Our oldest CFer is now 12 years old and we were told from day 1 to do CPT 2 times daily. He was in the hospital for the first 2 1/2 months of his life and they did CPT 3 times daily. Once we got home it was ideal in the morning and then at night before bed. Mason used to be a zero cough kid until just this past year so I don't think I would have only wanted to do CPT 1 time for the first 11 years. I guess I would say to be proactive and do it the 2 times per day for 20 mins. Now that he is older and with our 6 year old they do the Vest for 30 mins. 2 times daily and that works well for them. Hope this helps.</P>
<P></P>

JennyCoulon

<P>Our oldest CFer is now 12 years old and we were told from day 1 to do CPT 2 times daily. He was in the hospital for the first 2 1/2 months of his life and they did CPT 3 times daily. Once we got home it was ideal in the morning and then at night before bed. Mason used to be a zero cough kid until just this past year so I don't think I would have only wanted to do CPT 1 time for the first 11 years. I guess I would say to be proactive and do it the 2 times per day for 20 mins. Now that he is older and with our 6 year old they do the Vest for 30 mins. 2 times daily and that works well for them. Hope this helps.</P>
<P></P>

JennyCoulon

<P></P>