Insurance limits on lung tx

SuzyQ

This is my first time posting. Hope I am doing it right! Ok, my insurance limits its benefits for lung transplants to 250,000. Duke has told me this will not be enough and they will need a deposit. They will get back to me with a number, but I am wondering if my insurance is just terrible or this is normal. I was also wondering what kind of number to expect. Duke asked my insurer to raise their limit by 500k, and they refused, not surprisingly. What kinds of numbers have others heard? Thanks guys!

Susannah

SuzyQ

This is my first time posting. Hope I am doing it right! Ok, my insurance limits its benefits for lung transplants to 250,000. Duke has told me this will not be enough and they will need a deposit. They will get back to me with a number, but I am wondering if my insurance is just terrible or this is normal. I was also wondering what kind of number to expect. Duke asked my insurer to raise their limit by 500k, and they refused, not surprisingly. What kinds of numbers have others heard? Thanks guys!

Susannah

SuzyQ

Susannah

SuzyQ

Susannah

SuzyQ

<br />
<br />Susannah

Skye

no limit on mine. Is there a possibility for you to get on Medicare or Medicaid? Medicaid is income based...but, Medicare is disability and work history based. There is a 2 year wait for Medicare based on a disability; but, when you apply you can back date to when your FEV1 was in a qualifying range and bypass a lot of that wait time. Just some thoughts and I am sorry you are dealing with insurance hassles on top of the stress of CF.

Skye

no limit on mine. Is there a possibility for you to get on Medicare or Medicaid? Medicaid is income based...but, Medicare is disability and work history based. There is a 2 year wait for Medicare based on a disability; but, when you apply you can back date to when your FEV1 was in a qualifying range and bypass a lot of that wait time. Just some thoughts and I am sorry you are dealing with insurance hassles on top of the stress of CF.

Skye

Skye

Skye

SuzyQ

Thanks, Skye! I had heard about the wait time for Medicare after disability, but I didn't know you could get back credit with an eligible FEV1. I will definitely look into that.

SuzyQ

Thanks, Skye! I had heard about the wait time for Medicare after disability, but I didn't know you could get back credit with an eligible FEV1. I will definitely look into that.

SuzyQ

SuzyQ

SuzyQ

Skye

Contact Julie from this forum!! She has started a non-profit for CF advocacy. She helped me and I was able to get on in a few months.....a lot of back pay and I am eligible for Medicare in Feb. Her PM is "Julie". Please PM me if you have any more questions....I have been through the application process and you are very smart to be looking into how to cover a transplant before you get to it. Medicare as a secondary insurance covers a lot of the transplant meds IF you are on it when you are transplanted....that is awesome in my book. I have not had a transplant; but, feel a little more covered now should I ever have to go there.

Skye

Contact Julie from this forum!! She has started a non-profit for CF advocacy. She helped me and I was able to get on in a few months.....a lot of back pay and I am eligible for Medicare in Feb. Her PM is "Julie". Please PM me if you have any more questions....I have been through the application process and you are very smart to be looking into how to cover a transplant before you get to it. Medicare as a secondary insurance covers a lot of the transplant meds IF you are on it when you are transplanted....that is awesome in my book. I have not had a transplant; but, feel a little more covered now should I ever have to go there.

Skye

Skye

Skye