Interesting Article

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey everyone. This is a little off topic but I just came across this article and found it pretty interesting.

A death row inmate is lobbying to donate his organs upon his execution. He was denied for many reasons, among which UNOS does not accept organs from inmates who are put to death. They will, however, consider organs donated by inmates who die of other causes while incarcerated.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this...hmmmm. At first I thought they should for sure allow him to donate but after reading the entire article I'm on the fence. What do you guys think?

Link:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42667886/ns/health-health_care/">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42...ns/health-health_care/</a>

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey everyone. This is a little off topic but I just came across this article and found it pretty interesting.

A death row inmate is lobbying to donate his organs upon his execution. He was denied for many reasons, among which UNOS does not accept organs from inmates who are put to death. They will, however, consider organs donated by inmates who die of other causes while incarcerated.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this...hmmmm. At first I thought they should for sure allow him to donate but after reading the entire article I'm on the fence. What do you guys think?

Link:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42667886/ns/health-health_care/">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42...ns/health-health_care/</a>

triples15

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />A death row inmate is lobbying to donate his organs upon his execution. He was denied for many reasons, among which UNOS does not accept organs from inmates who are put to death. They will, however, consider organs donated by inmates who die of other causes while incarcerated.
<br />
<br />To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this...hmmmm. At first I thought they should for sure allow him to donate but after reading the entire article I'm on the fence. What do you guys think?
<br />
<br />Link:
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42667886/ns/health-health_care/">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42...ns/health-health_care/</a>

blundergirl

The best guess I have is that execution, whatever the method, will render the organs less desirable to donate. When someone dies in a hospital setting, the body can be kept functional until the organs can be harvested. But sending electricity or drugs through a body first will not allow, say, a pair of lungs to be preserved properly for transplantation (and Lord forbid the person choose to die by firing squad!!). So that's probably the reasoning.

blundergirl

The best guess I have is that execution, whatever the method, will render the organs less desirable to donate. When someone dies in a hospital setting, the body can be kept functional until the organs can be harvested. But sending electricity or drugs through a body first will not allow, say, a pair of lungs to be preserved properly for transplantation (and Lord forbid the person choose to die by firing squad!!). So that's probably the reasoning.

blundergirl

mom2owen

Hmmm, very interesting. My first thought is why not let them, it's not really about them, it's about saving lives of people who will be around and have not committed crimes! Who cares if they are truly doing it for the "right" reason! Having donor bone in me, I then also think about how I would feel having a criminals bone as part of me. And that kind of grosses me out, especially if it was from someone who did a crime like the man in the article. But, it sure is something to think about!

mom2owen

Hmmm, very interesting. My first thought is why not let them, it's not really about them, it's about saving lives of people who will be around and have not committed crimes! Who cares if they are truly doing it for the "right" reason! Having donor bone in me, I then also think about how I would feel having a criminals bone as part of me. And that kind of grosses me out, especially if it was from someone who did a crime like the man in the article. But, it sure is something to think about!

mom2owen

Jeana

I think the death row inmate should be allowed to donate. Honestly, if I had the lungs of a killer, that would not make me go out and kill someone. I would just be glad to be alive and breathing. And why not allow the killer to feel that he did something right? Even if it does not atone for his crime, is it wrong to allow him to have some peace before he dies? He still has to give up his life. Unless there is some medical reason why the organs would be unacceptable, I say allow those on death row to donate.

Jeana

I think the death row inmate should be allowed to donate. Honestly, if I had the lungs of a killer, that would not make me go out and kill someone. I would just be glad to be alive and breathing. And why not allow the killer to feel that he did something right? Even if it does not atone for his crime, is it wrong to allow him to have some peace before he dies? He still has to give up his life. Unless there is some medical reason why the organs would be unacceptable, I say allow those on death row to donate.

Jeana

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>"I don't think we want to be the kind of society that takes organs from prisoners," said Dr. Paul R. Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics and Indiana University. "To do so would be to use unfree prisoners as a means to an end."</end quote></div>
I don't agree with this line of reasoning. This prisoner is willing to give up his right to further appeal his execution in exchange for the right to donate his organs. How in the world is that the system using the prisoners...?? The prisoner in this case is really going to extreme lengths to bring this to fruition, giving up on some last-ditch efforts to save his life. And giving others the choice- whether they do or not isn't going to change any outcome- isn't USING them. Either way, they are dying in prison as inmates or dying at the hand of the state if on death row.

I would think he'd have to choose a method of execution that would render his organs viable for transplant, and the 'yuck' factor of this is frankly none of the public's business IMO. It's not like they have to watch. He is paying for his crimes with his life. If there is a legal method available to him in his state (there is sometimes an alternate method available other than lethal injection) that would leave his organs viable he has that right.

Many prisoners 'find religion' or 'become believers' or believe that they are 'saved' before death. Some mock this, some believe this is a legitimate way for them to come to terms with what is to come, and some believe that yes, these criminals ARE capable of feeling remorse and regret for what they have done. His desire to 'give back' may well express something similar and I think he should have this chance to do something meaningful.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>"I don't think we want to be the kind of society that takes organs from prisoners," said Dr. Paul R. Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics and Indiana University. "To do so would be to use unfree prisoners as a means to an end."</end quote>
I don't agree with this line of reasoning. This prisoner is willing to give up his right to further appeal his execution in exchange for the right to donate his organs. How in the world is that the system using the prisoners...?? The prisoner in this case is really going to extreme lengths to bring this to fruition, giving up on some last-ditch efforts to save his life. And giving others the choice- whether they do or not isn't going to change any outcome- isn't USING them. Either way, they are dying in prison as inmates or dying at the hand of the state if on death row.

I would think he'd have to choose a method of execution that would render his organs viable for transplant, and the 'yuck' factor of this is frankly none of the public's business IMO. It's not like they have to watch. He is paying for his crimes with his life. If there is a legal method available to him in his state (there is sometimes an alternate method available other than lethal injection) that would leave his organs viable he has that right.

Many prisoners 'find religion' or 'become believers' or believe that they are 'saved' before death. Some mock this, some believe this is a legitimate way for them to come to terms with what is to come, and some believe that yes, these criminals ARE capable of feeling remorse and regret for what they have done. His desire to 'give back' may well express something similar and I think he should have this chance to do something meaningful.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>"I don't think we want to be the kind of society that takes organs from prisoners," said Dr. Paul R. Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics and Indiana University. "To do so would be to use unfree prisoners as a means to an end."</end quote>
<br />I don't agree with this line of reasoning. This prisoner is willing to give up his right to further appeal his execution in exchange for the right to donate his organs. How in the world is that the system using the prisoners...?? The prisoner in this case is really going to extreme lengths to bring this to fruition, giving up on some last-ditch efforts to save his life. And giving others the choice- whether they do or not isn't going to change any outcome- isn't USING them. Either way, they are dying in prison as inmates or dying at the hand of the state if on death row.
<br />
<br />I would think he'd have to choose a method of execution that would render his organs viable for transplant, and the 'yuck' factor of this is frankly none of the public's business IMO. It's not like they have to watch. He is paying for his crimes with his life. If there is a legal method available to him in his state (there is sometimes an alternate method available other than lethal injection) that would leave his organs viable he has that right.
<br />
<br />Many prisoners 'find religion' or 'become believers' or believe that they are 'saved' before death. Some mock this, some believe this is a legitimate way for them to come to terms with what is to come, and some believe that yes, these criminals ARE capable of feeling remorse and regret for what they have done. His desire to 'give back' may well express something similar and I think he should have this chance to do something meaningful.

blundergirl

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hmw</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>"I don't think we want to be the kind of society that takes organs from prisoners," said Dr. Paul R. Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics and Indiana University. "To do so would be to use unfree prisoners as a means to an end."</end quote></div>

I interpreted this quote to be along the lines of: if we get into the business of using prisoner organs, it will be a slippery slope towards the ethical dilemma of hastening death row sentences because of the organ need. - We would all like to believe that wouldn't happen, but there is a serious conflict of interest that prevents us from even 'going there'.

blundergirl

I interpreted this quote to be along the lines of: if we get into the business of using prisoner organs, it will be a slippery slope towards the ethical dilemma of hastening death row sentences because of the organ need. - We would all like to believe that wouldn't happen, but there is a serious conflict of interest that prevents us from even 'going there'.

blundergirl

<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>"I don't think we want to be the kind of society that takes organs from prisoners," said Dr. Paul R. Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics and Indiana University. "To do so would be to use unfree prisoners as a means to an end."</end quote>
<br />
<br />I interpreted this quote to be along the lines of: if we get into the business of using prisoner organs, it will be a slippery slope towards the ethical dilemma of hastening death row sentences because of the organ need. - We would all like to believe that wouldn't happen, but there is a serious conflict of interest that prevents us from even 'going there'.

hmw

There is a point there. However, I think there are pretty serious ethical, moral and societal concerns involved when someone on death row ends up languishing in prison for the better part of a couple decades before finally being put to death as well. I think organ harvesting should be the least of their concerns when it comes to the way the 'system' works for these prisoners.

hmw

There is a point there. However, I think there are pretty serious ethical, moral and societal concerns involved when someone on death row ends up languishing in prison for the better part of a couple decades before finally being put to death as well. I think organ harvesting should be the least of their concerns when it comes to the way the 'system' works for these prisoners.