Itchy Skin

coltsfan715

Hey guys.

I just had a port placed at the end of January. I have had the stitches out for about 1 month (maybe 6 weeks) now. Things have been well for the most part. The area is still slightly tender at times but this new issue has arose in the past few days. The skin around and on top of the port is extremely itchy. I am afraid to scratch the skin with the vigor that I would scratch another area that itches this much. The port is so "right there" under the skin I feel like if I scratch I will tear the skin and poof there it will be. lol I KNOW that sounds silly but it is how I feel because I am so small and there is little "meat" on me where they placed this thing.

My question is does anyone else have or has anyone else had this issue with the itchiness around the port site before? I am hoping that you can recommend something to use on the area that will help keep it moisturized and not itchy lol.

Thanks for any recommendations and tips.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey guys.

I just had a port placed at the end of January. I have had the stitches out for about 1 month (maybe 6 weeks) now. Things have been well for the most part. The area is still slightly tender at times but this new issue has arose in the past few days. The skin around and on top of the port is extremely itchy. I am afraid to scratch the skin with the vigor that I would scratch another area that itches this much. The port is so "right there" under the skin I feel like if I scratch I will tear the skin and poof there it will be. lol I KNOW that sounds silly but it is how I feel because I am so small and there is little "meat" on me where they placed this thing.

My question is does anyone else have or has anyone else had this issue with the itchiness around the port site before? I am hoping that you can recommend something to use on the area that will help keep it moisturized and not itchy lol.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey guys.

Take Care,
Lindsey

blindhearted

I have always been told that when something itches it is healing. Maybe that is what is going on with your stitches. I have used Aveno 24 hr mosturizer lotion, if I know it is caused by dry skin. If it is an open wound, put Neosporin on it and cover it. If there is no open wound and it's just red (like a bug bite), Hydrocortisone cream should help. If it keeps on or gets worse, see your doctor.

blindhearted

I have always been told that when something itches it is healing. Maybe that is what is going on with your stitches. I have used Aveno 24 hr mosturizer lotion, if I know it is caused by dry skin. If it is an open wound, put Neosporin on it and cover it. If there is no open wound and it's just red (like a bug bite), Hydrocortisone cream should help. If it keeps on or gets worse, see your doctor.

blindhearted

kybert

my old ones used to itch like hell. they didnt have much fat and skin covering it too. i havent had a problem with itching with my latest one thats pretty much buried in my boob.

kybert

my old ones used to itch like hell. they didnt have much fat and skin covering it too. i havent had a problem with itching with my latest one thats pretty much buried in my boob.

kybert

kitersmom

maybe the itchy skin is because it is stretching to cover the port. Although from experience I know that whenever I have stitches they always itch like heck once they are healed and ready to come out. 6 weeks seems like it should be healed by now...just my personal experiences.

kitersmom

maybe the itchy skin is because it is stretching to cover the port. Although from experience I know that whenever I have stitches they always itch like heck once they are healed and ready to come out. 6 weeks seems like it should be healed by now...just my personal experiences.

kitersmom

Kelli

My port is in my chest and it sometimes itches, never constantly though. I usually scratch lightly, or I'll wear a sweatshirt and pinch the sweatshirt and used it to 'rub' my port. That way it is soft and I'm not doing damage. Or you could gently tap it.
I don't know of any lotion that you could use to take the itch away. I just got Gold Bon Ulitmate w/Aloe. It is WONDERFUL. I love this lotion. You might want to try something like that in case it is just your skin bothering you.
Good luck.

Kelli

My port is in my chest and it sometimes itches, never constantly though. I usually scratch lightly, or I'll wear a sweatshirt and pinch the sweatshirt and used it to 'rub' my port. That way it is soft and I'm not doing damage. Or you could gently tap it.
I don't know of any lotion that you could use to take the itch away. I just got Gold Bon Ulitmate w/Aloe. It is WONDERFUL. I love this lotion. You might want to try something like that in case it is just your skin bothering you.
Good luck.

Kelli

Good luck.

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Thank you for the advice on the lotions I will try those. I don't know if it is a dry skin thing or not - I have some minor issues with dry skin this time of year mainly on my arms and face and the itching that causes is frustrating, that is why I thought that may be the problem.

It is very possible though that this is related to my skin stretching to cover the port and or the healing process. I have had the stitches out for a while now, but it is definitely still healing (still getting over the soreness and all).

Thank you all for your thoughts. I will let you know if I have any other problems with it.

Thanks a ton,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Thank you for the advice on the lotions I will try those. I don't know if it is a dry skin thing or not - I have some minor issues with dry skin this time of year mainly on my arms and face and the itching that causes is frustrating, that is why I thought that may be the problem.

It is very possible though that this is related to my skin stretching to cover the port and or the healing process. I have had the stitches out for a while now, but it is definitely still healing (still getting over the soreness and all).

Thank you all for your thoughts. I will let you know if I have any other problems with it.

Thanks a ton,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Thanks a ton,
Lindsey

kybert

also the pocket the port is in will also go through a phase of scarring over so that could be why its itchy too. is the skin over the port starting to become crunchy and bumpy? if so thats the pocket developing scar tissue. yummy *puke*

kybert

also the pocket the port is in will also go through a phase of scarring over so that could be why its itchy too. is the skin over the port starting to become crunchy and bumpy? if so thats the pocket developing scar tissue. yummy *puke*