IVs necessary before sinus surgery?

M

mneville

Have IV antibiotics been able to get rid of your MRSA? We thought we had a good chance to eradicate it b/c we did a comprehensive treatment plan at the first culture. But a year later, it still shows up on just about every gag culture and bronch. He had major sinus problems before MRSA as well. Maybe I should talk to his doctor again. I really talked him out of IVs but if it better in the long run? Do you think there is a problem using IVs so often though? His sinus problems do not seem to get better despite everything we do. Every time I get nervous about the use of IVs though, I think how in Sweden they do them routinely 4x a year and live the longest. Ughh, too many decisions! Thanks for your insight!

Megan, mom to Aidan 4 with CF and Gavin 2 no CF

M

mneville

Have IV antibiotics been able to get rid of your MRSA? We thought we had a good chance to eradicate it b/c we did a comprehensive treatment plan at the first culture. But a year later, it still shows up on just about every gag culture and bronch. He had major sinus problems before MRSA as well. Maybe I should talk to his doctor again. I really talked him out of IVs but if it better in the long run? Do you think there is a problem using IVs so often though? His sinus problems do not seem to get better despite everything we do. Every time I get nervous about the use of IVs though, I think how in Sweden they do them routinely 4x a year and live the longest. Ughh, too many decisions! Thanks for your insight!

M

mneville

M

mneville

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Megan, mom to Aidan 4 with CF and Gavin 2 no CF

AndyB

Wow, best of luck to you and to Aidan. My 7-year-old niece had a ct scan last week and they are weighing her options. In her case it looks like a (supposed to be less invasive) treatment called 'balloon sinuplasty'.

Anyway sorry can't really weigh in on the IV question but thought I'd share anyway. Have a great day.

AndyB

Wow, best of luck to you and to Aidan. My 7-year-old niece had a ct scan last week and they are weighing her options. In her case it looks like a (supposed to be less invasive) treatment called 'balloon sinuplasty'.

Anyway sorry can't really weigh in on the IV question but thought I'd share anyway. Have a great day.

AndyB

AndyB

AndyB

<br />
<br />Anyway sorry can't really weigh in on the IV question but thought I'd share anyway. Have a great day.

Havoc

I think oral abx would suffice. They can always given him IV abx during his procedure when he's going to have to have a peripheral line anyway.

Havoc

I think oral abx would suffice. They can always given him IV abx during his procedure when he's going to have to have a peripheral line anyway.

Havoc

Havoc

Havoc

ReneeP

My daughter has had 6 sinus surgeries and has never had IV antibiotics at all (not pre-surgery or any other time). She doesn't culture anything other than staph so that might make a big difference... not sure... but I thought I'd answer your question that it isn't always necessary. I would think it would depend on whether there is an active infection but again, I don't know that for sure... Good luck!!! Sorry your are having to go through this (you and Aidan). Take Care!

ReneeP

My daughter has had 6 sinus surgeries and has never had IV antibiotics at all (not pre-surgery or any other time). She doesn't culture anything other than staph so that might make a big difference... not sure... but I thought I'd answer your question that it isn't always necessary. I would think it would depend on whether there is an active infection but again, I don't know that for sure... Good luck!!! Sorry your are having to go through this (you and Aidan). Take Care!

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP