Just asthma? or could it be CF?

JORDYSMOM

Hi Miranda and welcome. My son wasn't diagnosed until 15 because of docs telling me it was asthma and allergies. Granted, CF can be pretty obvious in it's presentation. However, there are more and more people with rare mutations, who present with mild or a-typical symptoms. What would it hurt to test for it? Push the doctor to do the testing. You may have to push hard, but do it. Also, make sure they test for ALL known mutations, not just the 40 most common.

It doesn't matter that you have no family history. Most people on this site don't have a history either. I know how tough it is to watch your baby struggle and not to be able to do much about it. Remember that the sqeeky wheel gets the grease. Make all the noise you need to until the docs listen to you.

Your son probably does have asthma, but you can have both asthma and CF. My son does. Don't kick yourself for doing this or not doing that. Just kick that doctor for being so closed minded! lol Let us know what happens.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Miranda and welcome. My son wasn't diagnosed until 15 because of docs telling me it was asthma and allergies. Granted, CF can be pretty obvious in it's presentation. However, there are more and more people with rare mutations, who present with mild or a-typical symptoms. What would it hurt to test for it? Push the doctor to do the testing. You may have to push hard, but do it. Also, make sure they test for ALL known mutations, not just the 40 most common.

It doesn't matter that you have no family history. Most people on this site don't have a history either. I know how tough it is to watch your baby struggle and not to be able to do much about it. Remember that the sqeeky wheel gets the grease. Make all the noise you need to until the docs listen to you.

Your son probably does have asthma, but you can have both asthma and CF. My son does. Don't kick yourself for doing this or not doing that. Just kick that doctor for being so closed minded! lol Let us know what happens.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

clawson5104

Hi, sorry for your frustrations....hopefully you will get answers soon. your story sounds alot like my son's. i was always told it's a virus.....then asthma...then both...and i was persistant that "something wasn't right"...so they finally sent my son to pulmonologist, who preceded with testing for CF. yeah there may be a chance your son only has asthma, we hope, but it won't hurt to test for sure, and give you peace of mind if it is only asthma. if it's cf, then he can start proper meds and start preventing cf damage. as far as family history......there isn't any in my family that i am aware of....and i also turned down carrier testing when i was pregnant, because there wasn't any family history, and my other 3 kids were "fine".
so definitely push for testing...better safe than sorry. good luck and keep us posted!

clawson5104

Hi, sorry for your frustrations....hopefully you will get answers soon. your story sounds alot like my son's. i was always told it's a virus.....then asthma...then both...and i was persistant that "something wasn't right"...so they finally sent my son to pulmonologist, who preceded with testing for CF. yeah there may be a chance your son only has asthma, we hope, but it won't hurt to test for sure, and give you peace of mind if it is only asthma. if it's cf, then he can start proper meds and start preventing cf damage. as far as family history......there isn't any in my family that i am aware of....and i also turned down carrier testing when i was pregnant, because there wasn't any family history, and my other 3 kids were "fine".
so definitely push for testing...better safe than sorry. good luck and keep us posted!

clawson5104

clawson5104

clawson5104