just found out my boyfriend has CF - please help

Sakem

Not to be a downer, but not many CF people live to 70s, I would say it is less than 1%...

I have read a lot of peoples stories on this site and they talk about how healthy they were when they were younger then when they got into their 20s, started having symptoms...You say he takes care of himself, which I find troubling why he let u smoke around him.....second hand smoke for CFers is very bad. Does he take his medicene regulary and do CPT religiously?

That being said, a person could take care of their self so good and still their CF is going to be death. 50% will make it to the age of 37, but half won't

Sakem

Not to be a downer, but not many CF people live to 70s, I would say it is less than 1%...

I have read a lot of peoples stories on this site and they talk about how healthy they were when they were younger then when they got into their 20s, started having symptoms...You say he takes care of himself, which I find troubling why he let u smoke around him.....second hand smoke for CFers is very bad. Does he take his medicene regulary and do CPT religiously?

That being said, a person could take care of their self so good and still their CF is going to be death. 50% will make it to the age of 37, but half won't

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

<br />
<br />I have read a lot of peoples stories on this site and they talk about how healthy they were when they were younger then when they got into their 20s, started having symptoms...You say he takes care of himself, which I find troubling why he let u smoke around him.....second hand smoke for CFers is very bad. Does he take his medicene regulary and do CPT religiously?
<br />
<br />That being said, a person could take care of their self so good and still their CF is going to be death. 50% will make it to the age of 37, but half won't
<br />
<br />

lilywing

Hi there,
First of all, I want to say that I understand how difficult this new information is. Anger, fear, resentment, not knowing what the future holds...this is all difficult stuff, especially early on in a relationship. I remember when I first was forced to tell my boyfriend...we had plans, but I had to ditch him for CF clinic instead. I remember that he was mad at me for not telling him sooner; he said that I lied to him and basically tricked him into caring about me (we were together only 4 or 5 months at the time). Anyways, that was over 9 years ago. I was 20. I'm 30 now.
I wish I could say that it gets easier. Unfortunately, we can't predict the future. I, too, was a relatively healthy person with cystic fibrosis. I had only been hospitalized once, at the age of 18 for pneumonia.
The s%$@iest thing about CF is that it is unpredictable. I never thought I would be sick. I thought that I was one of the lucky ones. The last 8 years has proven me wrong. I've been hospitalized 3 times in the last 5 months, more to come.

You and your boyfriend should still be hopeful. It sounds like he takes care of himself, and that is the best news. The best thing he can do is PREVENT getting sick, in order to prevent the progressive deterioration of this disease.

Sometimes, I don't know how my boyfriend does it. I don't know that I could do the same. But that's what makes him awesome. We don't have the most normal relationship. Hanging out doing meds and physio, spending our anniversary in the hospital, having to stay apart when he gets a cold, not every couple has to go through this. But, I bet it makes us stronger.

I wish good luck and good health to you both. Take care.

lilywing

Hi there,
First of all, I want to say that I understand how difficult this new information is. Anger, fear, resentment, not knowing what the future holds...this is all difficult stuff, especially early on in a relationship. I remember when I first was forced to tell my boyfriend...we had plans, but I had to ditch him for CF clinic instead. I remember that he was mad at me for not telling him sooner; he said that I lied to him and basically tricked him into caring about me (we were together only 4 or 5 months at the time). Anyways, that was over 9 years ago. I was 20. I'm 30 now.
I wish I could say that it gets easier. Unfortunately, we can't predict the future. I, too, was a relatively healthy person with cystic fibrosis. I had only been hospitalized once, at the age of 18 for pneumonia.
The s%$@iest thing about CF is that it is unpredictable. I never thought I would be sick. I thought that I was one of the lucky ones. The last 8 years has proven me wrong. I've been hospitalized 3 times in the last 5 months, more to come.

You and your boyfriend should still be hopeful. It sounds like he takes care of himself, and that is the best news. The best thing he can do is PREVENT getting sick, in order to prevent the progressive deterioration of this disease.

Sometimes, I don't know how my boyfriend does it. I don't know that I could do the same. But that's what makes him awesome. We don't have the most normal relationship. Hanging out doing meds and physio, spending our anniversary in the hospital, having to stay apart when he gets a cold, not every couple has to go through this. But, I bet it makes us stronger.

lilywing

Hi there,

lilywing

Hi there,

lilywing

Hi there,
<br />First of all, I want to say that I understand how difficult this new information is. Anger, fear, resentment, not knowing what the future holds...this is all difficult stuff, especially early on in a relationship. I remember when I first was forced to tell my boyfriend...we had plans, but I had to ditch him for CF clinic instead. I remember that he was mad at me for not telling him sooner; he said that I lied to him and basically tricked him into caring about me (we were together only 4 or 5 months at the time). Anyways, that was over 9 years ago. I was 20. I'm 30 now.
<br />I wish I could say that it gets easier. Unfortunately, we can't predict the future. I, too, was a relatively healthy person with cystic fibrosis. I had only been hospitalized once, at the age of 18 for pneumonia.
<br />The s%$@iest thing about CF is that it is unpredictable. I never thought I would be sick. I thought that I was one of the lucky ones. The last 8 years has proven me wrong. I've been hospitalized 3 times in the last 5 months, more to come.
<br />
<br />You and your boyfriend should still be hopeful. It sounds like he takes care of himself, and that is the best news. The best thing he can do is PREVENT getting sick, in order to prevent the progressive deterioration of this disease.
<br />
<br />Sometimes, I don't know how my boyfriend does it. I don't know that I could do the same. But that's what makes him awesome. We don't have the most normal relationship. Hanging out doing meds and physio, spending our anniversary in the hospital, having to stay apart when he gets a cold, not every couple has to go through this. But, I bet it makes us stronger.
<br />
<br />I wish good luck and good health to you both. Take care.

marmarmar

i'm not going to give up on him. as far as the second hand smoking - obviously it's horrible. i think he just really loves me and didn't want to seem like a burden.

marmarmar

i'm not going to give up on him. as far as the second hand smoking - obviously it's horrible. i think he just really loves me and didn't want to seem like a burden.

marmarmar

marmarmar

marmarmar

<br />

marmarmar

lilywing - thank you so much for your message. when i try to imagine being in your position, or in my boyfriends position, i completely understand why you would not reveal your condition right away. to not get a chance with someone because of this horrible thing that you were born with - it makes me sick.

i was only told this morning, and obviously am not comfortable with it yet and don't think i ever will be. but as my mum told me when i confronted her with this, "it doesn't matter. we're all dying, and we don't know when. the only difference is that he can probably predict his death with a greater percentage of accuracy than you can." or something online those lines. and yeah, it's true.

i feel selfish, though, and it bothers me. because amidst all of the chaos and shock that comes with this news, i am thinking awful things - thinking that i am more of a victim than he is, because he's had his life to get used to it and because i might be the one left alone. it's probably normal, but i hate being like that. you know?

how did your boyfriend cope?

marmarmar

lilywing - thank you so much for your message. when i try to imagine being in your position, or in my boyfriends position, i completely understand why you would not reveal your condition right away. to not get a chance with someone because of this horrible thing that you were born with - it makes me sick.

i was only told this morning, and obviously am not comfortable with it yet and don't think i ever will be. but as my mum told me when i confronted her with this, "it doesn't matter. we're all dying, and we don't know when. the only difference is that he can probably predict his death with a greater percentage of accuracy than you can." or something online those lines. and yeah, it's true.

i feel selfish, though, and it bothers me. because amidst all of the chaos and shock that comes with this news, i am thinking awful things - thinking that i am more of a victim than he is, because he's had his life to get used to it and because i might be the one left alone. it's probably normal, but i hate being like that. you know?

marmarmar

marmarmar

marmarmar

<br />
<br />i was only told this morning, and obviously am not comfortable with it yet and don't think i ever will be. but as my mum told me when i confronted her with this, "it doesn't matter. we're all dying, and we don't know when. the only difference is that he can probably predict his death with a greater percentage of accuracy than you can." or something online those lines. and yeah, it's true.
<br />
<br />i feel selfish, though, and it bothers me. because amidst all of the chaos and shock that comes with this news, i am thinking awful things - thinking that i am more of a victim than he is, because he's had his life to get used to it and because i might be the one left alone. it's probably normal, but i hate being like that. you know?
<br />
<br />how did your boyfriend cope?