JUST REFERRED

MomMomx2

Alyssa,

Thank you for responding. My granddaughter doesn't have any signs of CF, her skin isn't salty, she doesn't have congestion, her weight is good, however, my grandson has very salty skin, taste like someone poured a gallon of salt on him, his stools are greasy and he's a little peanut, who eats constantly.

I'm a concerne about how high his results are and now I'm concerned about Ci's results, just in case they are wrong.

My grandson has an appointment at The Neumors Children's Clinic, which is a certified testing CF lab, so I am going to have my daughter request a full genetic screening on both children.

Since both your children are carries of the gene, does this mean they will have to go through genetic screening with their partners when and if they decide to marry and have children??? Also, is it possible that my granddaughter will be a carrier as well??

Do you and your husband have any of the CF genes?? WE have never had anyone in our family have this, so we don't know where it came from or if my daughter and her husband created their own strand??

Look forward to hearing from you.

Michelle

Proud MomMom to CiCi & Seth

MomMomx2

Alyssa,

Thank you for responding. My granddaughter doesn't have any signs of CF, her skin isn't salty, she doesn't have congestion, her weight is good, however, my grandson has very salty skin, taste like someone poured a gallon of salt on him, his stools are greasy and he's a little peanut, who eats constantly.

I'm a concerne about how high his results are and now I'm concerned about Ci's results, just in case they are wrong.

My grandson has an appointment at The Neumors Children's Clinic, which is a certified testing CF lab, so I am going to have my daughter request a full genetic screening on both children.

Since both your children are carries of the gene, does this mean they will have to go through genetic screening with their partners when and if they decide to marry and have children??? Also, is it possible that my granddaughter will be a carrier as well??

Do you and your husband have any of the CF genes?? WE have never had anyone in our family have this, so we don't know where it came from or if my daughter and her husband created their own strand??

Michelle

MomMomx2

Alyssa,

Michelle

MomMomx2

Alyssa,

Michelle

MomMomx2

Alyssa,

Michelle

JazzysMom

I dont have much else to offer that others havent said. Just know that we are here for your concerns, ?? & support no matter what!

JazzysMom

I dont have much else to offer that others havent said. Just know that we are here for your concerns, ?? & support no matter what!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JORDYSMOM

Michelle- If your children are yours biologically, then you do carry the gene. A person who has CF has two CF gene mutations. If you have one mutation, you are a carrier. Your daughter and her husband did not create their own strand. You or your husband gave your daughter her gene, and her husb parents gave him his. Together, they gave your grandchild one each. There is a 25% chance everytime they have a child that it will have CF.

Since both of your children carry a CF gene, when they marry/have kids their spouse should be tested. A family can go for many generations carrying a CF gene and not have CF show up. That is because both parents must supply a gene in order for a baby to have CF. There is no history of CF in my family either, but my son has it. It rears it's ugly head out of nowhere.

Sweat tests can be misleading. It certainly sounds like your grandson is presenting with typical CF symptoms. The greasy stools, etc. My son never had typical symptoms, so he was not diagnosed until he was 15 yo. Salty skin is not always present either. The only way to be sure is to run a full Ambry genetic panel. If they find your grandson's mutations, then the other child can be checked just for those mutations. (I'm assuming here that they are from the same parents.) Your granddaughter may well be a carrier.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Let us know what you find out.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Michelle- If your children are yours biologically, then you do carry the gene. A person who has CF has two CF gene mutations. If you have one mutation, you are a carrier. Your daughter and her husband did not create their own strand. You or your husband gave your daughter her gene, and her husb parents gave him his. Together, they gave your grandchild one each. There is a 25% chance everytime they have a child that it will have CF.

Since both of your children carry a CF gene, when they marry/have kids their spouse should be tested. A family can go for many generations carrying a CF gene and not have CF show up. That is because both parents must supply a gene in order for a baby to have CF. There is no history of CF in my family either, but my son has it. It rears it's ugly head out of nowhere.

Sweat tests can be misleading. It certainly sounds like your grandson is presenting with typical CF symptoms. The greasy stools, etc. My son never had typical symptoms, so he was not diagnosed until he was 15 yo. Salty skin is not always present either. The only way to be sure is to run a full Ambry genetic panel. If they find your grandson's mutations, then the other child can be checked just for those mutations. (I'm assuming here that they are from the same parents.) Your granddaughter may well be a carrier.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

MomMomx2

Stacey,

You have definitely answered my questions and I really appreciate your input.

So, let me ask you this, should my sister have her grandchildren checked as well.

I mean, should I be checked and my other daughter's as well?? This is all confusing and frustrating at the same time. I mean you think your having healthy children and they are having healthy children and then something like this happens.

Does it just rear it's ugly head (CF that is) at any time or are there circumstances and illness that cause the Gene to surface??

Thank you for your help and support.

Michelle

MomMomx2

Stacey,

So, let me ask you this, should my sister have her grandchildren checked as well.

I mean, should I be checked and my other daughter's as well?? This is all confusing and frustrating at the same time. I mean you think your having healthy children and they are having healthy children and then something like this happens.

Does it just rear it's ugly head (CF that is) at any time or are there circumstances and illness that cause the Gene to surface??

Michelle

MomMomx2

Stacey,

Michelle

MomMomx2

Stacey,

Michelle

MomMomx2

Stacey,

Michelle