just some questions

S

sdelorenzo

Hello. Both of my kids started cpt and the nebulizer (pulmozyme for my son and both albuterol) at 4-5 weeks of age. The have each had pneumonia once, both around 3-4 months of age. It can be hard for little babies with cf to clear their lungs, so I would think cpt would be helpful. I have never heard that dr. wait for cpt because of injuring the ribs. CPT shouldn't be done that hard. One thing that I have learned through the years is to talk with your doctor when you have other suggestion or ideas that they didn't suggest. I think these boards are very helpful in identifying how other cf clinics and drs treat their patients. In my opinion you have right to start cpt on your child if you think that is the way to go. I have always just explained to my kids dr why I want to do something and and he has always let me go ahead with what I wanted after we discussed it (except one time - re: IV antibotics vs. Tobi for my son's 1st psuedomonas culture).

Also, my son did culture e.coli for a lot of his first year. Never after that. I remember asking others about it on-line and only a few other cf kids had cultured it. My son's doctors did not treat him for the e.coli.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Hello. Both of my kids started cpt and the nebulizer (pulmozyme for my son and both albuterol) at 4-5 weeks of age. The have each had pneumonia once, both around 3-4 months of age. It can be hard for little babies with cf to clear their lungs, so I would think cpt would be helpful. I have never heard that dr. wait for cpt because of injuring the ribs. CPT shouldn't be done that hard. One thing that I have learned through the years is to talk with your doctor when you have other suggestion or ideas that they didn't suggest. I think these boards are very helpful in identifying how other cf clinics and drs treat their patients. In my opinion you have right to start cpt on your child if you think that is the way to go. I have always just explained to my kids dr why I want to do something and and he has always let me go ahead with what I wanted after we discussed it (except one time - re: IV antibotics vs. Tobi for my son's 1st psuedomonas culture).

Also, my son did culture e.coli for a lot of his first year. Never after that. I remember asking others about it on-line and only a few other cf kids had cultured it. My son's doctors did not treat him for the e.coli.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf

O

Olymama

We started CPT when River was diagnosed at 2 1/2 weeks. He just turned five months and I asked our CF doctor about starting nebs at his last visit because they haven't brought it up yet and he said they don't useally start them until they are two, just in rare cases saying there's not enough info to support it being all that beneficial to start that early. I went along with that but reading all the responses here I just don't know. Part of me thinks I should press it another part wants to spare River starting something else that could have side effects and he'll hate. He useally does not like CPT.
good luck

O

Olymama

We started CPT when River was diagnosed at 2 1/2 weeks. He just turned five months and I asked our CF doctor about starting nebs at his last visit because they haven't brought it up yet and he said they don't useally start them until they are two, just in rare cases saying there's not enough info to support it being all that beneficial to start that early. I went along with that but reading all the responses here I just don't know. Part of me thinks I should press it another part wants to spare River starting something else that could have side effects and he'll hate. He useally does not like CPT.
good luck

O

Olymama

good luck

O

Olymama

good luck

O

Olymama

good luck

O

Olymama

good luck

texascfdad

my kids started cpt and nebs as soon as they were diagnosed about 2 weeks after birth. my first was in the hospital at 4 months with pneumonia. so waiting a few months to start cpt doesnt make sense to me. since the catch bugs and get sick before that. my sone loves his cpt. thats how he goes to sleep at night. hes three now. he tells me "daddy, beat me harder" you wont break there ribs if you do it right. an RT showed us how to take a infant O2 mask and tape it to a tongue depressor and beat them with that. i would start treatments as soon as possible. they may not be sick now, but it is preventative maintenance.

texascfdad

my kids started cpt and nebs as soon as they were diagnosed about 2 weeks after birth. my first was in the hospital at 4 months with pneumonia. so waiting a few months to start cpt doesnt make sense to me. since the catch bugs and get sick before that. my sone loves his cpt. thats how he goes to sleep at night. hes three now. he tells me "daddy, beat me harder" you wont break there ribs if you do it right. an RT showed us how to take a infant O2 mask and tape it to a tongue depressor and beat them with that. i would start treatments as soon as possible. they may not be sick now, but it is preventative maintenance.

texascfdad

texascfdad

texascfdad

texascfdad

AshleysMom

Our daughter was dx at 1 day old because of meconium ileus, and had to have an immediate surgery. However we did not have to start treatments and CPT until she was 4 months old, when she started having more issues like colds. She also would often fall asleep while we were doing her CPT, until she got a little older and wanted to be crawling around. She has cultured e coli several times, but they never treat her for it. We were told that many young children (even those without CF) often have e coli, but that our bodies can fight it off. It hasn't seemed to given her problems in the past.

AshleysMom

Our daughter was dx at 1 day old because of meconium ileus, and had to have an immediate surgery. However we did not have to start treatments and CPT until she was 4 months old, when she started having more issues like colds. She also would often fall asleep while we were doing her CPT, until she got a little older and wanted to be crawling around. She has cultured e coli several times, but they never treat her for it. We were told that many young children (even those without CF) often have e coli, but that our bodies can fight it off. It hasn't seemed to given her problems in the past.

AshleysMom

AshleysMom

AshleysMom

AshleysMom