Kerosene Heater and Cigarette Smoke :/

BethanyAnne

Hey everyone! I have 2 questions:

First, I have researched the use and effects of kerosene heaters, but I feel like I need more information. I am 22 and living back with my parents till the fall. My family does not have very much money and my dad is using a kerosene heater to heat up the house. The rest of the family and myself feel like it smells very badly, and personally I feel like it is hurting my lungs with every breath. Can anyone tell me any more information they may have with the information I just gave.

Second, My dad is a smoker and though he smokes outside, (well, RIGHT outside the garage door so that when we walk out there we have to take it all in) he wreaks of smoke ALL THE TIME and it makes me very angry with him. I have lost a lot of respect for him and I'm very hurt. We have a poor relationship because it makes me feel so sad. How could a father knowingly decrease his daughters (2 w/cf and 1 a carrier of the gene) years of life. Does anyone else have this happening to them?

Bethany - 22 yrs. old w/ CF & CFRD

BethanyAnne

First, I have researched the use and effects of kerosene heaters, but I feel like I need more information. I am 22 and living back with my parents till the fall. My family does not have very much money and my dad is using a kerosene heater to heat up the house. The rest of the family and myself feel like it smells very badly, and personally I feel like it is hurting my lungs with every breath. Can anyone tell me any more information they may have with the information I just gave.

Second, My dad is a smoker and though he smokes outside, (well, RIGHT outside the garage door so that when we walk out there we have to take it all in) he wreaks of smoke ALL THE TIME and it makes me very angry with him. I have lost a lot of respect for him and I'm very hurt. We have a poor relationship because it makes me feel so sad. How could a father knowingly decrease his daughters (2 w/cf and 1 a carrier of the gene) years of life. Does anyone else have this happening to them?

BethanyAnne

BethanyAnne

BethanyAnne

<br />
<br />First, I have researched the use and effects of kerosene heaters, but I feel like I need more information. I am 22 and living back with my parents till the fall. My family does not have very much money and my dad is using a kerosene heater to heat up the house. The rest of the family and myself feel like it smells very badly, and personally I feel like it is hurting my lungs with every breath. Can anyone tell me any more information they may have with the information I just gave.
<br />
<br />Second, My dad is a smoker and though he smokes outside, (well, RIGHT outside the garage door so that when we walk out there we have to take it all in) he wreaks of smoke ALL THE TIME and it makes me very angry with him. I have lost a lot of respect for him and I'm very hurt. We have a poor relationship because it makes me feel so sad. How could a father knowingly decrease his daughters (2 w/cf and 1 a carrier of the gene) years of life. Does anyone else have this happening to them?
<br />
<br />Bethany - 22 yrs. old w/ CF & CFRD

JORDYSMOM

Hi Bethany, and welcome.

Kerosene heaters are not for inside the house. They are for use in shops/garages & only with good ventilation. There has to be another way to heat your house. Kerosene fumes are harmful to EVERYONE; CF or not. There is also the danger of a fire with this type of heater. This is not a safe situation for your family at all! Whatever it takes, your family must find another heat source.

As for the smoking. Well, my opinion is a harsh one. It's his habit, so he should have to go ALL THE WAY OUTSIDE into the cold if he insists on smoking. It's still not good for you guys when he comes back into the house with smoke particles stuck to his hair & clothing, but it's better than smoking in an area where you have to walk through it.

Cigs are very expensive, and if your father is smoking a pack a day, he could afford an electric space heater in a WEEK if he didn't buy cigs. If money is tight, and his family is in need of heat, then he should give up whatever he needs to in order for them to be safe & warm.

I'm very sorry that you and your sisters are in this situation. I hope that you can convince your father to make some changes.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Bethany, and welcome.

Kerosene heaters are not for inside the house. They are for use in shops/garages & only with good ventilation. There has to be another way to heat your house. Kerosene fumes are harmful to EVERYONE; CF or not. There is also the danger of a fire with this type of heater. This is not a safe situation for your family at all! Whatever it takes, your family must find another heat source.

As for the smoking. Well, my opinion is a harsh one. It's his habit, so he should have to go ALL THE WAY OUTSIDE into the cold if he insists on smoking. It's still not good for you guys when he comes back into the house with smoke particles stuck to his hair & clothing, but it's better than smoking in an area where you have to walk through it.

Cigs are very expensive, and if your father is smoking a pack a day, he could afford an electric space heater in a WEEK if he didn't buy cigs. If money is tight, and his family is in need of heat, then he should give up whatever he needs to in order for them to be safe & warm.

I'm very sorry that you and your sisters are in this situation. I hope that you can convince your father to make some changes.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Bethany, and welcome.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Bethany, and welcome.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Bethany, and welcome.
<br />
<br />Kerosene heaters are not for inside the house. They are for use in shops/garages & only with good ventilation. There has to be another way to heat your house. Kerosene fumes are harmful to EVERYONE; CF or not. There is also the danger of a fire with this type of heater. This is not a safe situation for your family at all! Whatever it takes, your family must find another heat source.
<br />
<br />As for the smoking. Well, my opinion is a harsh one. It's his habit, so he should have to go ALL THE WAY OUTSIDE into the cold if he insists on smoking. It's still not good for you guys when he comes back into the house with smoke particles stuck to his hair & clothing, but it's better than smoking in an area where you have to walk through it.
<br />
<br />Cigs are very expensive, and if your father is smoking a pack a day, he could afford an electric space heater in a WEEK if he didn't buy cigs. If money is tight, and his family is in need of heat, then he should give up whatever he needs to in order for them to be safe & warm.
<br />
<br />I'm very sorry that you and your sisters are in this situation. I hope that you can convince your father to make some changes.
<br />
<br />Stacey

debs2girls

For what it is worth...I agree with everything Stacey said.

Is there someone else you could stay with till the fall?

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

<br />
<br />Is there someone else you could stay with till the fall?

petnurse

I agree too! Cigarette issues in our family have ended my husband's relationship with his father due to ignorance with our CF baby. As far as heaters, wood stoves, etc, our dr told us anything that puts particles into the air gets into your lungs and is potentially harmful. So sorry you are going through this with your dad! (((HUGS))

petnurse

I agree too! Cigarette issues in our family have ended my husband's relationship with his father due to ignorance with our CF baby. As far as heaters, wood stoves, etc, our dr told us anything that puts particles into the air gets into your lungs and is potentially harmful. So sorry you are going through this with your dad! (((HUGS))

petnurse

petnurse

petnurse