Learning to blow noses!

gr33nie

Does your son use sinus rinses? We were able to teach our son how to blow his nose during the sinus rinses. Having such a large volume of water coming out of his nose with gravity helped give him a really good feeling of what 'out' was. Much easier to blow out the water than to suck it back in. He still is kind of a 'wimpy' blower. Not much force behind it but it's a start.

I've also heard of putting a feather on a table and having them try to make it move with just their nose.

gr33nie

Does your son use sinus rinses? We were able to teach our son how to blow his nose during the sinus rinses. Having such a large volume of water coming out of his nose with gravity helped give him a really good feeling of what 'out' was. Much easier to blow out the water than to suck it back in. He still is kind of a 'wimpy' blower. Not much force behind it but it's a start.

I've also heard of putting a feather on a table and having them try to make it move with just their nose.

gr33nie

gr33nie

gr33nie

dyza

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Rebjane</b></i>

I taught Maggie similar to the way Melissa describes. Told her to blow out birthday candles with her nose instead of her mouth. She thought it was funny.)</end quote></div>

I,ve got a picture in my head of Maggie at her next birthday party blowing out her candles using this method.
''Who wants a bit of cake?''

Craig

dyza

I taught Maggie similar to the way Melissa describes. Told her to blow out birthday candles with her nose instead of her mouth. She thought it was funny.)</end quote></div>

I,ve got a picture in my head of Maggie at her next birthday party blowing out her candles using this method.

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

I taught Maggie similar to the way Melissa describes. Told her to blow out birthday candles with her nose instead of her mouth. She thought it was funny.)</end quote>

Craig

dyza

<br />
<br />I taught Maggie similar to the way Melissa describes. Told her to blow out birthday candles with her nose instead of her mouth. She thought it was funny.)</end quote>
<br />
<br />I,ve got a picture in my head of Maggie at her next birthday party blowing out her candles using this method.
<br />''Who wants a bit of cake?''
<br />
<br />Craig
<br />
<br />

LouLou

According to my mom, she was so frustrated with the fact that I couldn't blow my nose (at age 2) that she one day put her mouth to mine and slowly blew in and I learned to blow my nose. She said snot got all over her face and she knew she'd been successful. 6 mo later I was diagnosed w cf.

Now because of the cross contamination issues (my son and I both have cf) I couldn't teach my son this way. I use one of the hospital nasal suctions with lots of saline. I also encourage him to take a tissue and blow. He gets it and does it but it's nothing compared to the suction.

For the age of the poster's child I think Melissa's idea is a good one.

LouLou

According to my mom, she was so frustrated with the fact that I couldn't blow my nose (at age 2) that she one day put her mouth to mine and slowly blew in and I learned to blow my nose. She said snot got all over her face and she knew she'd been successful. 6 mo later I was diagnosed w cf.

Now because of the cross contamination issues (my son and I both have cf) I couldn't teach my son this way. I use one of the hospital nasal suctions with lots of saline. I also encourage him to take a tissue and blow. He gets it and does it but it's nothing compared to the suction.

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

<br />
<br />Now because of the cross contamination issues (my son and I both have cf) I couldn't teach my son this way. I use one of the hospital nasal suctions with lots of saline. I also encourage him to take a tissue and blow. He gets it and does it but it's nothing compared to the suction.
<br />
<br />For the age of the poster's child I think Melissa's idea is a good one.

folione

Adding to the good suggestions above, I think it was helpful that we held the tissue for our son and as soon as he got a blow out we pinched his nose shut with the tissue and wiped it away at the same time. This prevented him a bit from immediately snorfling the goo back up.

folione

Adding to the good suggestions above, I think it was helpful that we held the tissue for our son and as soon as he got a blow out we pinched his nose shut with the tissue and wiped it away at the same time. This prevented him a bit from immediately snorfling the goo back up.

folione

folione

folione