Life Insurance

B

ByGrace

My son was just diagnosed with CF and my husband and I are trying to look ahead to what that might mean for his future.  We wondered if he might have trouble getting a life insurance policy as an adult with CF, and if so, we could get him a policy now that he can carry over as an adult.  Has anyone been denied a policy or had any troubles in this area?<br>

B

ByGrace

My son was just diagnosed with CF and my husband and I are trying to look ahead to what that might mean for his future. We wondered if he might have trouble getting a life insurance policy as an adult with CF, and if so, we could get him a policy now that he can carry over as an adult. Has anyone been denied a policy or had any troubles in this area?<br>

B

ByGrace

My son was just diagnosed with CF and my husband and I are trying to look ahead to what that might mean for his future. We wondered if he might have trouble getting a life insurance policy as an adult with CF, and if so, we could get him a policy now that he can carry over as an adult. Has anyone been denied a policy or had any troubles in this area?<br>

mccaff

My husband has had CF since he was born -
He has a wonderful job and can only get it through them ( And they don't know ), no life ins. company will ever carry him -
Go see if you can get it today before it's out of the bag -
Also can go sign him up for the " Gerber " Life ins. Wish I had don't that for my kids!

Good Luck with everything, it becomes a very hard road as they get older. My husband is now 43 and it's all coming to a head now -

mccaff

He has a wonderful job and can only get it through them ( And they don't know ), no life ins. company will ever carry him -
Go see if you can get it today before it's out of the bag -
Also can go sign him up for the " Gerber " Life ins. Wish I had don't that for my kids!

Good Luck with everything, it becomes a very hard road as they get older. My husband is now 43 and it's all coming to a head now -

mccaff

<br />He has a wonderful job and can only get it through them ( And they don't know ), no life ins. company will ever carry him -
<br />Go see if you can get it today before it's out of the bag -
<br />Also can go sign him up for the " Gerber " Life ins. Wish I had don't that for my kids!
<br />
<br />Good Luck with everything, it becomes a very hard road as they get older. My husband is now 43 and it's all coming to a head now -

jpburkeiii

Hi Pam,

Here is my experience. When I was 20 my father who worked in the life insurance business for 30 years purchased me a term life policy with the same thought in mind. I canceled it after I realized that I had to pay the premium every month and my resources were limited. So I went several years w/o it until I landed a job that provided group term insurance. I think group term is the only realistic policy option for the CF community. Given the unrealistic premium and exclusions associated with a whole life policy for someone with CF, a whole life policy is out of reach for most, if not all of the CF population.

jpburkeiii

Hi Pam,

Here is my experience. When I was 20 my father who worked in the life insurance business for 30 years purchased me a term life policy with the same thought in mind. I canceled it after I realized that I had to pay the premium every month and my resources were limited. So I went several years w/o it until I landed a job that provided group term insurance. I think group term is the only realistic policy option for the CF community. Given the unrealistic premium and exclusions associated with a whole life policy for someone with CF, a whole life policy is out of reach for most, if not all of the CF population.

jpburkeiii

Hi Pam,
<br />
<br />Here is my experience. When I was 20 my father who worked in the life insurance business for 30 years purchased me a term life policy with the same thought in mind. I canceled it after I realized that I had to pay the premium every month and my resources were limited. So I went several years w/o it until I landed a job that provided group term insurance. I think group term is the only realistic policy option for the CF community. Given the unrealistic premium and exclusions associated with a whole life policy for someone with CF, a whole life policy is out of reach for most, if not all of the CF population.
<br />

hmw

The Gerber insurance plans will not accept your child once any major medical dx has been made~ even if you already have it they've been known to cancel it once they get wind of a medical condition. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm almost positive this is the case.)

All of my kids have been covered at various times by different policies through my husband's benefits- they are pretty much no questions asked- but are rather small and cannot be carried over once they are off his benefits. Once he's grown, hopefully he'll be able to get something like that through his employer (as posted above.) If past threads here and in the adult forum about this issue are any indication, this is, unfortunately, not going to be easy.

hmw

The Gerber insurance plans will not accept your child once any major medical dx has been made~ even if you already have it they've been known to cancel it once they get wind of a medical condition. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm almost positive this is the case.)

All of my kids have been covered at various times by different policies through my husband's benefits- they are pretty much no questions asked- but are rather small and cannot be carried over once they are off his benefits. Once he's grown, hopefully he'll be able to get something like that through his employer (as posted above.) If past threads here and in the adult forum about this issue are any indication, this is, unfortunately, not going to be easy.

hmw

<br />
<br />All of my kids have been covered at various times by different policies through my husband's benefits- they are pretty much no questions asked- but are rather small and cannot be carried over once they are off his benefits. Once he's grown, hopefully he'll be able to get something like that through his employer (as posted above.) If past threads here and in the adult forum about this issue are any indication, this is, unfortunately, not going to be easy.

petnurse

Harriett is right. We had a policy on my son right after he was born. Paperwork in hand. After he was diagnosed (6 days old), my stepmother in law applied and disclosed his CF. They denied her and canceled his policy! We currently have a small policy through my husband's work, but that is all we can get :-(

petnurse

Harriett is right. We had a policy on my son right after he was born. Paperwork in hand. After he was diagnosed (6 days old), my stepmother in law applied and disclosed his CF. They denied her and canceled his policy! We currently have a small policy through my husband's work, but that is all we can get :-(

petnurse

IVWinchester79

It's too bad you don't live in Florida. You could easily sign him up for Medicaid if he is a citizen, and when he is close to turning 21, he can sign up for the Florida CF Med Waver, which will pay for everything that Medicaid won't pay for once you're 21. I am currently in the process of signing up for the waver. Possibly one of the best things I've been recommended to do. Good luck, I hope you find a way to help him.

IVWinchester79

It's too bad you don't live in Florida. You could easily sign him up for Medicaid if he is a citizen, and when he is close to turning 21, he can sign up for the Florida CF Med Waver, which will pay for everything that Medicaid won't pay for once you're 21. I am currently in the process of signing up for the waver. Possibly one of the best things I've been recommended to do. Good luck, I hope you find a way to help him.

IVWinchester79

T

tammykrumrey

I was so fortunate in that I purchased my older daughter, Kayla's, life ins policy in November when she was 6 months old. My agent had recommended it after I asked why on earth someone would purchase life ins on a baby. She was dx with CF at 14 months old.

When I was about to give birth to my second daughter, Hannah, my agent had me sign all the paperwork so that when she was born, he could submit her policy. We did NOT know whether she had CF or not. We just didn't want to take any chances. Our ins agent was called within minutes of Hannah being born, and the agent paid the first year premium as a gift. She was dx at 1 month old.

So both of my girls have life ins. I am so thankful my agent recommended it. It was really in thought of if they were to get cancer of something...not CF, of course! But at least there will be something down the road for them.

T

tammykrumrey

I was so fortunate in that I purchased my older daughter, Kayla's, life ins policy in November when she was 6 months old. My agent had recommended it after I asked why on earth someone would purchase life ins on a baby. She was dx with CF at 14 months old.

When I was about to give birth to my second daughter, Hannah, my agent had me sign all the paperwork so that when she was born, he could submit her policy. We did NOT know whether she had CF or not. We just didn't want to take any chances. Our ins agent was called within minutes of Hannah being born, and the agent paid the first year premium as a gift. She was dx at 1 month old.

So both of my girls have life ins. I am so thankful my agent recommended it. It was really in thought of if they were to get cancer of something...not CF, of course! But at least there will be something down the road for them.