Longest time on iv's

jdprecious

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sevenstars</b></i>

I think I've been on IVs consecutively for 6 or 8 weeks.

There are a lot of reasons they don't leave people on IVs that long. First, after a bug is exposed to a med repeatedly, it eventually develops resistance to it. I'm not sure how this comes into play with just KEEPING someone on a medicine, but I know that doing things like stopping a med before you are done with the course is very bad. Next, IV drugs are very potent and especially harsh on the liver, kidneys, and even your hearing (Cowtown just posted about this). So leaving someone on IVs indefinitely would probably nuke their other organs which is never a good thing. The side effects can be tiring and wear a person down, as well. So eventually, even if they are "helping" the lungs, they might lose weight and just become weak due to the tummy problems that frequently accompany IVs.

I'm sure there are more reasons but those are the most obvious ones to me.</end quote></div>

Yes the cf'er did experience hearing loss and experienced liver/kidney inflammation. I read it as a side effect from the toxins of the meds. I thought it might have been due to the amount of iv's at once, sometimes up to 4 different iv meds for the cf'er.

It is amazing what the body can handle at one time. But at some point I have to wonder when it becomes medicinal overload and more meds is actually doing more harm than good for the internal organs. Just thinking out loud here guys! Keep posting your experiences.

jdprecious

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sevenstars</b></i>

There are a lot of reasons they don't leave people on IVs that long. First, after a bug is exposed to a med repeatedly, it eventually develops resistance to it. I'm not sure how this comes into play with just KEEPING someone on a medicine, but I know that doing things like stopping a med before you are done with the course is very bad. Next, IV drugs are very potent and especially harsh on the liver, kidneys, and even your hearing (Cowtown just posted about this). So leaving someone on IVs indefinitely would probably nuke their other organs which is never a good thing. The side effects can be tiring and wear a person down, as well. So eventually, even if they are "helping" the lungs, they might lose weight and just become weak due to the tummy problems that frequently accompany IVs.

I'm sure there are more reasons but those are the most obvious ones to me.</end quote></div>

Yes the cf'er did experience hearing loss and experienced liver/kidney inflammation. I read it as a side effect from the toxins of the meds. I thought it might have been due to the amount of iv's at once, sometimes up to 4 different iv meds for the cf'er.

It is amazing what the body can handle at one time. But at some point I have to wonder when it becomes medicinal overload and more meds is actually doing more harm than good for the internal organs. Just thinking out loud here guys! Keep posting your experiences.

jdprecious

jdprecious

I'm sure there are more reasons but those are the most obvious ones to me.</end quote>

jdprecious

<br />
<br />I think I've been on IVs consecutively for 6 or 8 weeks.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />There are a lot of reasons they don't leave people on IVs that long. First, after a bug is exposed to a med repeatedly, it eventually develops resistance to it. I'm not sure how this comes into play with just KEEPING someone on a medicine, but I know that doing things like stopping a med before you are done with the course is very bad. Next, IV drugs are very potent and especially harsh on the liver, kidneys, and even your hearing (Cowtown just posted about this). So leaving someone on IVs indefinitely would probably nuke their other organs which is never a good thing. The side effects can be tiring and wear a person down, as well. So eventually, even if they are "helping" the lungs, they might lose weight and just become weak due to the tummy problems that frequently accompany IVs.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I'm sure there are more reasons but those are the most obvious ones to me.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Yes the cf'er did experience hearing loss and experienced liver/kidney inflammation. I read it as a side effect from the toxins of the meds. I thought it might have been due to the amount of iv's at once, sometimes up to 4 different iv meds for the cf'er.
<br />
<br />It is amazing what the body can handle at one time. But at some point I have to wonder when it becomes medicinal overload and more meds is actually doing more harm than good for the internal organs. Just thinking out loud here guys! Keep posting your experiences.
<br />

Jane

Digital opinion leader
6 months for my boys (also to treat mycobacteria). They did blodwork every week and hearing tests as well. It took a lot out of them but not as much as the bug they had.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
6 months for my boys (also to treat mycobacteria). They did blodwork every week and hearing tests as well. It took a lot out of them but not as much as the bug they had.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

catboogie

The longest I have consecutively been on IVs is 3 weeks. I don't have MAC or anything like that. The doctors have told me that your chance of your bugs developing resistance increases at that time relative to the benefit you get from the meds.

catboogie

The longest I have consecutively been on IVs is 3 weeks. I don't have MAC or anything like that. The doctors have told me that your chance of your bugs developing resistance increases at that time relative to the benefit you get from the meds.

catboogie

catboogie

catboogie

<br />
<br />