Low oxygen saturation, good pft's?

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 9pt;">My husband is 27, dx at 6 months and hisis opposite too. His FEV1 is in the mid 20s and his O2 sats are between 89-92. He refuses to wear oxygen. I am just curious which has a worse effect, low O2 stats or lowered lung function? I think it is odd how they don't really correspond.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 9pt;">My husband is 27, dx at 6 months and hisis opposite too. His FEV1 is in the mid 20s and his O2 sats are between 89-92. He refuses to wear oxygen. I am just curious which has a worse effect, low O2 stats or lowered lung function? I think it is odd how they don't really correspond.

JennifersHope

Yes I did I had unexplained hopxia. Good Pfts but required oxygen all the time . It was found that I had a hole in my heart with a lot of shunting which caused my blood to mix and give me low oxygen. They recently fixed the hole in my heart and my sats are back to normal....minus the fact I went septic

JennifersHope

Yes I did I had unexplained hopxia. Good Pfts but required oxygen all the time . It was found that I had a hole in my heart with a lot of shunting which caused my blood to mix and give me low oxygen. They recently fixed the hole in my heart and my sats are back to normal....minus the fact I went septic

nocode

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><em>Originally posted by: <strong>enjoylifesunshine</strong></em> <span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 9pt;">My husband is 27, dx at 6 months and hisis opposite too. His FEV1 is in the mid 20s and his O2 sats are between 89-92. He refuses to wear oxygen. I am just curious which has a worse effect, low O2 stats or lowered lung function? I think it is odd how they don't really correspond. </end quote> Wow you opened this thread 3 years later! hehe. But good timing. I am about to do a sleep study to find out if I need night oxygen. My FEV1 is 35% (for many years) and my doctor tells me my heart is still perfectly fine. However, if people who need night oxygen don't go on it, their heart will suffer. My doctor went as far as to say that in the long run, if I don't use night O2 (if the test results indicate that I need it), it'll be my heart that will suffer the MOST. Not sure if I really believe this or if he was just scaring me into going on O2 (I'm having a hard time accepting it)...

nocode

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><em>Originally posted by: <strong>enjoylifesunshine</strong></em> <span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 9pt;">My husband is 27, dx at 6 months and hisis opposite too. His FEV1 is in the mid 20s and his O2 sats are between 89-92. He refuses to wear oxygen. I am just curious which has a worse effect, low O2 stats or lowered lung function? I think it is odd how they don't really correspond. </end quote> Wow you opened this thread 3 years later! hehe. But good timing. I am about to do a sleep study to find out if I need night oxygen. My FEV1 is 35% (for many years) and my doctor tells me my heart is still perfectly fine. However, if people who need night oxygen don't go on it, their heart will suffer. My doctor went as far as to say that in the long run, if I don't use night O2 (if the test results indicate that I need it), it'll be my heart that will suffer the MOST. Not sure if I really believe this or if he was just scaring me into going on O2 (I'm having a hard time accepting it)...

Melissa75

Administrator
I find it interesting that Tumbleweed in this thread has great oxygenation despite a low FEV1 when she posted in April09 and got a transplant in December09 (see sig), eight months later. Seems to indicate what drs say about how things can change quickly, especially as the fev1 is in the lower ranges.

Melissa75

Administrator
I find it interesting that Tumbleweed in this thread has great oxygenation despite a low FEV1 when she posted in April09 and got a transplant in December09 (see sig), eight months later. Seems to indicate what drs say about how things can change quickly, especially as the fev1 is in the lower ranges.

kayers3

Vera - Nighttime O2 isn't that bad. It's a bit annoying to get used to, but pretty soon it'll just be habit. It's definitely better for your heart in the long run. If you find out your desat-ing at night, after you go O2 you'll probably start to notice that you feel better in the mornings. I know I did. I'm on O2 full time now. I was surprised to realize how big a change it made. I don't feel as tired or cough as much since using it regularly.

kayers3

Vera - Nighttime O2 isn't that bad. It's a bit annoying to get used to, but pretty soon it'll just be habit. It's definitely better for your heart in the long run. If you find out your desat-ing at night, after you go O2 you'll probably start to notice that you feel better in the mornings. I know I did. I'm on O2 full time now. I was surprised to realize how big a change it made. I don't feel as tired or cough as much since using it regularly.