lung transplants

Liamsmommy

I just thought you might like to read something about a little guy who has just had a Lung trasplant this is from The Hospital For Sick Childrens website in Toronto

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.sickkidsfoundation.com/OurKids/brandon.asp
">http://www.sickkidsfoundation.com/OurKids/brandon.asp
</a>
Hes not that old and was placed on the wait list in October 2005 and just recived his new Lungs December 2006 and is doing very well

Shawna

skyler

Thank you for your info. taking care of kid who has CF is not easy, but you guys are really helping me a lot. Thank you so much !!
Skyler's mom

skyler

Thank you for your info. taking care of kid who has CF is not easy, but you guys are really helping me a lot. Thank you so much !!
Skyler's mom

skyler

Skyler's mom

farbeyond1

There is a guy in my area that is now 27 years old. He has CF, and got his transplant 15 years ago at age 12! He's still doing great.

farbeyond1

There is a guy in my area that is now 27 years old. He has CF, and got his transplant 15 years ago at age 12! He's still doing great.

farbeyond1

Joanne

Sklar,
Most likely your son's CF doctor is just preparing you for the possible choice of lung transplant.

Do you know his FEV1? Is he on oxygen? Does he get IV's often? How would you rate his quality of life?

Yes, lung tx's are done on very young children. There are a couple of babies who had their tx down in Florida, and they were 2-3 months old. And the ages just keep moving on up.

Ask his doctor why he feels that lung tx is now needed? or is he talking the future.

A big process and mental work is involved, but knowing your son will be healthy, there is no other option, more than likley you will choose it.

Had my tx about 9 years ago, wrote a book with 265 stories of lung tx in it, and I know there were about 10 very young people who have their story in the book.

Email me if you like.
Joanne Schum
luckylungsforjo@aol.com

Joanne

Sklar,
Most likely your son's CF doctor is just preparing you for the possible choice of lung transplant.

Do you know his FEV1? Is he on oxygen? Does he get IV's often? How would you rate his quality of life?

Yes, lung tx's are done on very young children. There are a couple of babies who had their tx down in Florida, and they were 2-3 months old. And the ages just keep moving on up.

Ask his doctor why he feels that lung tx is now needed? or is he talking the future.

A big process and mental work is involved, but knowing your son will be healthy, there is no other option, more than likley you will choose it.

Had my tx about 9 years ago, wrote a book with 265 stories of lung tx in it, and I know there were about 10 very young people who have their story in the book.

Email me if you like.
Joanne Schum
luckylungsforjo@aol.com

Joanne

Sklar,

Email me if you like.
Joanne Schum
luckylungsforjo@aol.com

skyler

Hi everybody
Thank you for your responses. I have a question for Joanne. what is FEV1 ? , 2 weeks ago Skyler's lung function test was 23 and he is on OX . he is struggling to breath. I wish I can take away CF from him. he is very skinny and he does not eat well, so he got G-tube last summer. he is getting a lot of tests, so he can go to CA for an evaluation.
thanks, Skyler's mom

skyler

Hi everybody
Thank you for your responses. I have a question for Joanne. what is FEV1 ? , 2 weeks ago Skyler's lung function test was 23 and he is on OX . he is struggling to breath. I wish I can take away CF from him. he is very skinny and he does not eat well, so he got G-tube last summer. he is getting a lot of tests, so he can go to CA for an evaluation.
thanks, Skyler's mom

skyler

Hi everybody
thanks, Skyler's mom

Joanne

Skylar's mom,

FEV1 is one of the tests when they do pulmonary function tests. They show a great deal of how well or bad the lungs are functioning. FEV1 measures how much air you can blow out in the first second of the blow. An indicator of lung damage.

If he blew 23, that is not a good number, but I am not sure how a 6 year old blows either. They are not as well trained as an adult. I am also assuming 23 is the %. Meaning he has a lung function of 23%. You want 100%. It means that 23% of his lungs are working. BUT PLEASE, THESE ARE GUESSES ON MY PART. Ask the docs.

He is on oxygen.... another sign that lung tx is needed. Do look into it, the centers, the stats, the reputation. What part of the U.S. do you live in?

Joanne Schum

Joanne

Skylar's mom,

FEV1 is one of the tests when they do pulmonary function tests. They show a great deal of how well or bad the lungs are functioning. FEV1 measures how much air you can blow out in the first second of the blow. An indicator of lung damage.

If he blew 23, that is not a good number, but I am not sure how a 6 year old blows either. They are not as well trained as an adult. I am also assuming 23 is the %. Meaning he has a lung function of 23%. You want 100%. It means that 23% of his lungs are working. BUT PLEASE, THESE ARE GUESSES ON MY PART. Ask the docs.

He is on oxygen.... another sign that lung tx is needed. Do look into it, the centers, the stats, the reputation. What part of the U.S. do you live in?

Joanne Schum

Joanne

Skylar's mom,

Joanne Schum