Malabsorption? Need some answers?

greenwks

Hello, This sounds exactly like what our daughter went through. She was diagnosed with CF around age 3 and wasn't absorbing hardly anything at that point. She was started on Creon-5 (and Prevacid, etc.) and that seemed to help a little bit. One year later when we took her to Stanford for a liver transplant eval, they said she needed to improve her nutritional status and suggested we discuss a g-tube with her GI doc. Since she had an NG tube at age 3 with no positive results, we didn't think it was a matter of getting MORE food into her tummy, it was absorbing it. They also suggested we switch her to Pancrecarb MS-8 enzymes which are developed to help with the bicarbonate secretion deficiency. We saw an immediate improvement once she switched to Pancrecarb. She had weighed 30 pounds for two years prior to switching, and within 4 months after switching, she gained 6 pounds. Her nutritional status improved immensely and her b.m.'s look great and "normal". This has been our experience and I hope you will soon find a solution to your child's problem. Take Care. Kelli

greenwks

Hello, This sounds exactly like what our daughter went through. She was diagnosed with CF around age 3 and wasn't absorbing hardly anything at that point. She was started on Creon-5 (and Prevacid, etc.) and that seemed to help a little bit. One year later when we took her to Stanford for a liver transplant eval, they said she needed to improve her nutritional status and suggested we discuss a g-tube with her GI doc. Since she had an NG tube at age 3 with no positive results, we didn't think it was a matter of getting MORE food into her tummy, it was absorbing it. They also suggested we switch her to Pancrecarb MS-8 enzymes which are developed to help with the bicarbonate secretion deficiency. We saw an immediate improvement once she switched to Pancrecarb. She had weighed 30 pounds for two years prior to switching, and within 4 months after switching, she gained 6 pounds. Her nutritional status improved immensely and her b.m.'s look great and "normal". This has been our experience and I hope you will soon find a solution to your child's problem. Take Care. Kelli

greenwks

greenwks

greenwks

pjspiegle

I agree with Kelli. Nathan is on the Pancreacarb MS-16, but he is older and I almost forgot about the MS-8's. My friend that has 2 girls with CF also sometimes have problems with weight gain and are also both on Pancreacarb. I know its a pain to keep switching enzymes, we did that for a long time before we found the Pancreacarb, is annoying, but perhaps you could ask about this one, it does seem to be one of the enzymes of choice right now. But don't forget the prevacid, it is an important part of the puzzle.

pjspiegle

I agree with Kelli. Nathan is on the Pancreacarb MS-16, but he is older and I almost forgot about the MS-8's. My friend that has 2 girls with CF also sometimes have problems with weight gain and are also both on Pancreacarb. I know its a pain to keep switching enzymes, we did that for a long time before we found the Pancreacarb, is annoying, but perhaps you could ask about this one, it does seem to be one of the enzymes of choice right now. But don't forget the prevacid, it is an important part of the puzzle.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

R

RiRi

Thanks to each of you for the suggestions. He is taking Prevacid 15 mg per day. We were told this month that the powder form is no longer available and that he is going to be getting the solutabs. Does 15mg sound like the right amount? I am going to ask about the panrecarb at the next clinic vist!!!!

R

RiRi

Thanks to each of you for the suggestions. He is taking Prevacid 15 mg per day. We were told this month that the powder form is no longer available and that he is going to be getting the solutabs. Does 15mg sound like the right amount? I am going to ask about the panrecarb at the next clinic vist!!!!

R

RiRi

R

RiRi

R

RiRi

folione

15mg solutabs are what my boy started at about that age and they worked great (in combination with Creon-10).

folione

15mg solutabs are what my boy started at about that age and they worked great (in combination with Creon-10).

folione

folione

folione