Many questions about sinuses

fourkidsmom

Donna: Sorry to hear about your 6 yr old. I know those polyps & sinuses can get pretty nasty. My now 6 yr old son with cf had his first nose polyp/sinus surgery at age 5 --he was getting no air thru his nose, a few months later they were back again, not as bad but bad enough for surgery again. So we had another surgery and then another debriment and so far for the last 4-5 months we have been ok. I do have to say we have slacked off the nose washes, we need to get back at that just to keep things good up there. He hated those at first, but now we make a game out of it, I tell him its time for snotty, snotty it is time to come out and play- we do this when he showers- sick I know but it works and we make a big deal out of yucky gunk coming out. He was on the nose steriod- dexamethosone (sp?) for about 6 months total- 2 times a day . He also went to a doctor that handles alot of CF patients. He also did the ocean nasal spray about 6 times a day. I hope that helps you in some way and good luck with your little guy.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Donna: Sorry to hear about your 6 yr old. I know those polyps & sinuses can get pretty nasty. My now 6 yr old son with cf had his first nose polyp/sinus surgery at age 5 --he was getting no air thru his nose, a few months later they were back again, not as bad but bad enough for surgery again. So we had another surgery and then another debriment and so far for the last 4-5 months we have been ok. I do have to say we have slacked off the nose washes, we need to get back at that just to keep things good up there. He hated those at first, but now we make a game out of it, I tell him its time for snotty, snotty it is time to come out and play- we do this when he showers- sick I know but it works and we make a big deal out of yucky gunk coming out. He was on the nose steriod- dexamethosone (sp?) for about 6 months total- 2 times a day . He also went to a doctor that handles alot of CF patients. He also did the ocean nasal spray about 6 times a day. I hope that helps you in some way and good luck with your little guy.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

MightyMikeyDMom

Thanks to all of you. We use rhinocort and saline sprays. If we keep up on the washes he should do better? He's on cipro, TOBI, albuterol, pulmicort, pulmozyne,Creon 5, ADEK's, reglan, and the nasal sprays mentioned before. He has pretty bad headaches most of the time, I hope he will do better after Friday. It seems that he's probably going to have a long road ahead of him before it gets better. His ENT does work with alot of CF patients. I'm worried about the fact he is developing a cough now, hope it's not working it's way down to his lungs.

Donna mom to
Mikey 6 w/ CF
Hannah 9 w/o CF

MightyMikeyDMom

Thanks to all of you. We use rhinocort and saline sprays. If we keep up on the washes he should do better? He's on cipro, TOBI, albuterol, pulmicort, pulmozyne,Creon 5, ADEK's, reglan, and the nasal sprays mentioned before. He has pretty bad headaches most of the time, I hope he will do better after Friday. It seems that he's probably going to have a long road ahead of him before it gets better. His ENT does work with alot of CF patients. I'm worried about the fact he is developing a cough now, hope it's not working it's way down to his lungs.

Donna mom to
Mikey 6 w/ CF
Hannah 9 w/o CF

MightyMikeyDMom

Donna mom to
Mikey 6 w/ CF
Hannah 9 w/o CF

MightyMikeyDMom

Donna mom to
Mikey 6 w/ CF
Hannah 9 w/o CF

MightyMikeyDMom

Donna mom to
Mikey 6 w/ CF
Hannah 9 w/o CF

MightyMikeyDMom

Donna mom to
Mikey 6 w/ CF
Hannah 9 w/o CF

PACmommy

Ainsley has had problems breathing since she was a baby. She has no polyps as of yet but she will probably be having her adenoids removed in a couple months. They start enlarging at 3 and get thier largest around 6 yrs.
She also has a cough, her CF doc thinks that it's due to a post nasal drip, related with the sinus condition.

PACmommy

Ainsley has had problems breathing since she was a baby. She has no polyps as of yet but she will probably be having her adenoids removed in a couple months. They start enlarging at 3 and get thier largest around 6 yrs.
She also has a cough, her CF doc thinks that it's due to a post nasal drip, related with the sinus condition.

PACmommy

PACmommy

PACmommy

PACmommy

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MightyMikeyDMom</b></i>

We use rhinocort and saline sprays. </end quote></div>

Rhinocort is an extremely weak intranasal steroid.

Of all the branded meds, between Flonase, Nasonex, Nasacort AQ, Rhinocort is the weakest.

Head to head studies of Flonase vs. Nasacort show that they are equally as effective. Head to head studies of Flonase vs. Nasonex demonstrate that Nasonex is weaker.

Since Flonase and nasacort are equally efficacious, we can move to side effect profile. FLonase contains alcohol which causes headaches and nose bleeds, whereas Nasacort lacks alcohol.

Ask your doctor for a better intranasal steroid. I bet you'll see improved results!

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MightyMikeyDMom</b></i>

Of all the branded meds, between Flonase, Nasonex, Nasacort AQ, Rhinocort is the weakest.

Head to head studies of Flonase vs. Nasacort show that they are equally as effective. Head to head studies of Flonase vs. Nasonex demonstrate that Nasonex is weaker.

Since Flonase and nasacort are equally efficacious, we can move to side effect profile. FLonase contains alcohol which causes headaches and nose bleeds, whereas Nasacort lacks alcohol.

Ask your doctor for a better intranasal steroid. I bet you'll see improved results!

NoExcuses

NoExcuses