Many questions about sinuses

MightyMikeyDMom

My son just turned 6 a few weeks ago. He has been suffering with sinus problems for over 8 months now. He 's been on multiple antibiotics, nasal washes , and nose sprays. He sounds like he is snoring, while awake. He had surgery on April 13 they removed polyops, and opend/drained what was up there, thick greenish,pus,and awful looking stuff. He did well at home for about 2 weeks and now is right back where we started. He is scheduled for another surgery for this Friday to try it agin. Is this pretty common?
Donna Mom to MikeyD 6 w/ cf and Hannah 9 no cf.

MightyMikeyDMom

My son just turned 6 a few weeks ago. He has been suffering with sinus problems for over 8 months now. He 's been on multiple antibiotics, nasal washes , and nose sprays. He sounds like he is snoring, while awake. He had surgery on April 13 they removed polyops, and opend/drained what was up there, thick greenish,pus,and awful looking stuff. He did well at home for about 2 weeks and now is right back where we started. He is scheduled for another surgery for this Friday to try it agin. Is this pretty common?

MightyMikeyDMom

MightyMikeyDMom

MightyMikeyDMom

MightyMikeyDMom

ReneeP

Unfortunately I think it is pretty common. My daughter started having sinus problems also when she was 6. She ended up having 5 sinus surgeries within a year. It was a miserable year...constant sinus infections and nasal washes.

I assume they have you doing nasal washes. That's one thing I would recommend, though I will be the first to admit I hated them almost as much as Kacie did. They are necessary to keeping them as cleaned out as possible.

Also I would recommend making sure that the dr who is caring for him is familiar with CF patients. Our first four surgeries were done by a reguler pediatric ENT with no CF eperience. Wonderful doctor, but just didn't see much CF. For Kacie's last surgery we drove her 4 hours to San Antonio to a dr who cared for more CF patients. That surgery was almost a year ago and she hasn't seen an ENT since then. She has not needed a nasal wash either (other than immediately following the surgery). We also moved from where we were living to a much dryer area so that probably also helped so I can't say for sure how much of it was the dr. But I do know he did things differently because he was familiar with CF.

I certainly hope your son gets to feeling better and doesn't spend another year like that. It is so miserable. I wish you the best.

ReneeP

Unfortunately I think it is pretty common. My daughter started having sinus problems also when she was 6. She ended up having 5 sinus surgeries within a year. It was a miserable year...constant sinus infections and nasal washes.

I assume they have you doing nasal washes. That's one thing I would recommend, though I will be the first to admit I hated them almost as much as Kacie did. They are necessary to keeping them as cleaned out as possible.

Also I would recommend making sure that the dr who is caring for him is familiar with CF patients. Our first four surgeries were done by a reguler pediatric ENT with no CF eperience. Wonderful doctor, but just didn't see much CF. For Kacie's last surgery we drove her 4 hours to San Antonio to a dr who cared for more CF patients. That surgery was almost a year ago and she hasn't seen an ENT since then. She has not needed a nasal wash either (other than immediately following the surgery). We also moved from where we were living to a much dryer area so that probably also helped so I can't say for sure how much of it was the dr. But I do know he did things differently because he was familiar with CF.

I certainly hope your son gets to feeling better and doesn't spend another year like that. It is so miserable. I wish you the best.

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

fourkidsmom

Donna: Sorry to hear about your 6 yr old. I know those polyps & sinuses can get pretty nasty. My now 6 yr old son with cf had his first nose polyp/sinus surgery at age 5 --he was getting no air thru his nose, a few months later they were back again, not as bad but bad enough for surgery again. So we had another surgery and then another debriment and so far for the last 4-5 months we have been ok. I do have to say we have slacked off the nose washes, we need to get back at that just to keep things good up there. He hated those at first, but now we make a game out of it, I tell him its time for snotty, snotty it is time to come out and play- we do this when he showers- sick I know but it works and we make a big deal out of yucky gunk coming out. He was on the nose steriod- dexamethosone (sp?) for about 6 months total- 2 times a day . He also went to a doctor that handles alot of CF patients. He also did the ocean nasal spray about 6 times a day. I hope that helps you in some way and good luck with your little guy.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Donna: Sorry to hear about your 6 yr old. I know those polyps & sinuses can get pretty nasty. My now 6 yr old son with cf had his first nose polyp/sinus surgery at age 5 --he was getting no air thru his nose, a few months later they were back again, not as bad but bad enough for surgery again. So we had another surgery and then another debriment and so far for the last 4-5 months we have been ok. I do have to say we have slacked off the nose washes, we need to get back at that just to keep things good up there. He hated those at first, but now we make a game out of it, I tell him its time for snotty, snotty it is time to come out and play- we do this when he showers- sick I know but it works and we make a big deal out of yucky gunk coming out. He was on the nose steriod- dexamethosone (sp?) for about 6 months total- 2 times a day . He also went to a doctor that handles alot of CF patients. He also did the ocean nasal spray about 6 times a day. I hope that helps you in some way and good luck with your little guy.

Fourkidsmom