Marriage and CF

stackyshorty

We both went to college. He has a really good job; he's an IT manager for several hospitals here, so he would make too much for me to stay on Medicaid. Still, the insurance does not have a max co-pay for medications. They would write off any hospital stays, but fortunately I don't stay in the hospital much. I'm still trying to find a job. I have a music education license. I've been looking for four years now and have been substitute teaching in the meantime. Subbing doesn't have benefits though. If I could get a contract teaching position we would probably be set. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a music position here.

stackyshorty

We both went to college. He has a really good job; he's an IT manager for several hospitals here, so he would make too much for me to stay on Medicaid. Still, the insurance does not have a max co-pay for medications. They would write off any hospital stays, but fortunately I don't stay in the hospital much. I'm still trying to find a job. I have a music education license. I've been looking for four years now and have been substitute teaching in the meantime. Subbing doesn't have benefits though. If I could get a contract teaching position we would probably be set. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a music position here.

stackyshorty

stackyshorty

stackyshorty

stackyshorty

stackyshorty

stackyshorty

stackyshorty

julie

<P>@ Stephen, if you aren't diabetic, I'd honestly look into hospital indemnity policies and major medical/ICU care through combined insurance company.  My policy on my ex husband pays $50,000 if he has to have an organ transplant.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>If anyone has more questions about SSI/SSDI and insurance, marriage/medicaid, medicare... please feel free to shoot me an email, <A href="mailto:<A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A>"><A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A></A>  I'm happy to answer them</P>

julie

<P>@ Stephen, if you aren't diabetic, I'd honestly look into hospital indemnity policies and major medical/ICU care through combined insurance company. My policy on my ex husband pays $50,000 if he has to have an organ transplant.</P>
<P></P>
<P>If anyone has more questions about SSI/SSDI and insurance, marriage/medicaid, medicare... please feel free to shoot me an email, <A href="mailto:<A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A>"><A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A></A> I'm happy to answer them</P>

julie

<P><BR>@ Stephen, if you aren't diabetic, I'd honestly look into hospital indemnity policies and major medical/ICU care through combined insurance company. My policy on my ex husband pays $50,000 if he has to have an organ transplant.</P>
<P></P>
<P>If anyone has more questions about SSI/SSDI and insurance, marriage/medicaid, medicare... please feel free to shoot me an email, <A href="mailto:<A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A>"><A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A></A> I'm happy to answer them</P>

C

cindylou

I got married almost 3 years ago (next month!). My whole engagement was a nightmare of trying to figure out how on earth we'd have medical coverage, since at the time we were both students and the student insurance had no prescription coverage. (A CFer CANNOT qualify to be on private insurance - so Sue, if your fiance went into business for himself, no you could not be covered on his private policy. My husband has also wanted to start his own business, but it's something he's agreed is impossible unless health care laws change. Insurance is our #1 priority.)

I spent a lot of time talking with Beth Sufian (a CF lawyer and founder of the CF legal hotline). She was VERY helpful. I highly recommend that anyone in this situation talk to her!!! Now my husband and I have great insurance through his job. We were told by almost everyone to get married only religiously and not legally, but that wasn't an option for us. So I'm here to say - it IS possible to be married with CF, and even to have great insurance. It is just tough, and takes a lot of footwork!!!

If anyone would like to contact me privately with specific questions I'd be happy to help. It is such a frustrating situation to be in. I remember it all too well!

C

cindylou

I got married almost 3 years ago (next month!). My whole engagement was a nightmare of trying to figure out how on earth we'd have medical coverage, since at the time we were both students and the student insurance had no prescription coverage. (A CFer CANNOT qualify to be on private insurance - so Sue, if your fiance went into business for himself, no you could not be covered on his private policy. My husband has also wanted to start his own business, but it's something he's agreed is impossible unless health care laws change. Insurance is our #1 priority.)

I spent a lot of time talking with Beth Sufian (a CF lawyer and founder of the CF legal hotline). She was VERY helpful. I highly recommend that anyone in this situation talk to her!!! Now my husband and I have great insurance through his job. We were told by almost everyone to get married only religiously and not legally, but that wasn't an option for us. So I'm here to say - it IS possible to be married with CF, and even to have great insurance. It is just tough, and takes a lot of footwork!!!

If anyone would like to contact me privately with specific questions I'd be happy to help. It is such a frustrating situation to be in. I remember it all too well!

C

cindylou

<br />
<br />I spent a lot of time talking with Beth Sufian (a CF lawyer and founder of the CF legal hotline). She was VERY helpful. I highly recommend that anyone in this situation talk to her!!! Now my husband and I have great insurance through his job. We were told by almost everyone to get married only religiously and not legally, but that wasn't an option for us. So I'm here to say - it IS possible to be married with CF, and even to have great insurance. It is just tough, and takes a lot of footwork!!!
<br />
<br />If anyone would like to contact me privately with specific questions I'd be happy to help. It is such a frustrating situation to be in. I remember it all too well!

julie

Yes, a CF CAN too be on a private insurance policy. It's just expensive and hard to do, and some companies DO refuse to cover them. But it is not impossible

julie

Yes, a CF CAN too be on a private insurance policy. It's just expensive and hard to do, and some companies DO refuse to cover them. But it is not impossible

julie

<br />

ltlhook

I was married at 18 and my husband (now ex) was in college. I was receiving SSI and the amount I received was determined by how much he brought in each month. I had it figured out down to a the dollar how much he could make in order for me to still receive my SSI. The reason I was able to be on state medicaid was because of the SSI I was receiving. So I had it figured out how much he could make that would still allow me to still get at least a $1 of SSI which in turn means i would still get my medicaid. We made it work but then he quit school and started working more. I then started working in order to get medical insurance for myself to elminate the financial limitations we had. I worked for abotu 5 years and then quit. During this time my ex was self employed. We were NOT able to get insurance because of my pre-exisiting condition of CF. I then applied for disabilty and got denied and then filed an appeal with a lawyers aide and was awarded disability. That meant I got state medicaid once again. After a certain time (can't remember how long it is) medicare kicked in. I forgot to mention I got divorced after I quit working and was finally approved for diabilty. Fast forward 5 years, I married my sweetheart husband last year, whom I have known for 15+ years mind you, our paths met back up in life. He is in the Air Force. I now have yet another government insurance...haha. When we got married we I lost my medicaid but gained the Tricare. I have Medicare as primary and Tricare as secondary now. It has been a headache with the changes with billing issues. We had to try a few different things to try and cut our out of pocket costs. Yes I have "good" insurance but I still have out of pocket cost expecially since I have a lot of doc appts, am in the hospital and on home IV's often along with blood work, port flushes, etc.

With all that said I think you need to look at EVERY outcome possible to see if it is a good decision to get married, financially. Me myself I could care less what people say if they think I am living in sin because I "cant'" get married due to financial/healthcare reasons. I had enough people asking when we were getting married and I would say maybe never, who cares! Love is love wheather you are married or not, commited relationships are where it is. I know from experience that a marriage cert does not make your marriage/relationship fool proof, hence getting divorced at age 25 because of my ex cheating multiple times. So nothing is a guarentee.

Wow I think I went off on a tangent, sorry about that.

ltlhook

I was married at 18 and my husband (now ex) was in college. I was receiving SSI and the amount I received was determined by how much he brought in each month. I had it figured out down to a the dollar how much he could make in order for me to still receive my SSI. The reason I was able to be on state medicaid was because of the SSI I was receiving. So I had it figured out how much he could make that would still allow me to still get at least a $1 of SSI which in turn means i would still get my medicaid. We made it work but then he quit school and started working more. I then started working in order to get medical insurance for myself to elminate the financial limitations we had. I worked for abotu 5 years and then quit. During this time my ex was self employed. We were NOT able to get insurance because of my pre-exisiting condition of CF. I then applied for disabilty and got denied and then filed an appeal with a lawyers aide and was awarded disability. That meant I got state medicaid once again. After a certain time (can't remember how long it is) medicare kicked in. I forgot to mention I got divorced after I quit working and was finally approved for diabilty. Fast forward 5 years, I married my sweetheart husband last year, whom I have known for 15+ years mind you, our paths met back up in life. He is in the Air Force. I now have yet another government insurance...haha. When we got married we I lost my medicaid but gained the Tricare. I have Medicare as primary and Tricare as secondary now. It has been a headache with the changes with billing issues. We had to try a few different things to try and cut our out of pocket costs. Yes I have "good" insurance but I still have out of pocket cost expecially since I have a lot of doc appts, am in the hospital and on home IV's often along with blood work, port flushes, etc.

With all that said I think you need to look at EVERY outcome possible to see if it is a good decision to get married, financially. Me myself I could care less what people say if they think I am living in sin because I "cant'" get married due to financial/healthcare reasons. I had enough people asking when we were getting married and I would say maybe never, who cares! Love is love wheather you are married or not, commited relationships are where it is. I know from experience that a marriage cert does not make your marriage/relationship fool proof, hence getting divorced at age 25 because of my ex cheating multiple times. So nothing is a guarentee.

Wow I think I went off on a tangent, sorry about that.