Meconium Ileus and CF and Gene Question

M

Mommafirst

I would think you should be monitored more frequently than what you are saying. My daughter had a meconium plug (lower in the bowels) and was born via scheduled c-section at 36 weeks (I know -- early because I was being watched for something completely irrelevant to this). Anyway, my OB said that there was soooo much amniotic fluid, she had never seen such a wave. The plug meant my daughter wasn't ingesting and processing the amniotic fluid and thus it built up -- I'm guessing my water would have broken shortly thereafter if I hadn't had a scheduled C.

As for the fact that you both carry one copy of DF508, yes if your child has CF (which seems likely with the MI) they will have double deltaF508.

M

Mommafirst

I would think you should be monitored more frequently than what you are saying. My daughter had a meconium plug (lower in the bowels) and was born via scheduled c-section at 36 weeks (I know -- early because I was being watched for something completely irrelevant to this). Anyway, my OB said that there was soooo much amniotic fluid, she had never seen such a wave. The plug meant my daughter wasn't ingesting and processing the amniotic fluid and thus it built up -- I'm guessing my water would have broken shortly thereafter if I hadn't had a scheduled C.

As for the fact that you both carry one copy of DF508, yes if your child has CF (which seems likely with the MI) they will have double deltaF508.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />As for the fact that you both carry one copy of DF508, yes if your child has CF (which seems likely with the MI) they will have double deltaF508.

Alyssa

I have zero experience with MI and pregnancy... but at 27 weeks it seems to me that they should be monitoring more often than 5 weeks.... I would be for sure asking for another opinion on that and lining up where the delivery will be - to make sure they are skilled at handling this type of delivery.

As mommafirst already stated -- yes with the MI and knowing that you both carry the Delta F508, once confirmed (if not already done) your child will have two copies of the Delta F508 gene... which is usually referred to as double Delta F508 or to shorten some people do DDF508

Alyssa

I have zero experience with MI and pregnancy... but at 27 weeks it seems to me that they should be monitoring more often than 5 weeks.... I would be for sure asking for another opinion on that and lining up where the delivery will be - to make sure they are skilled at handling this type of delivery.

As mommafirst already stated -- yes with the MI and knowing that you both carry the Delta F508, once confirmed (if not already done) your child will have two copies of the Delta F508 gene... which is usually referred to as double Delta F508 or to shorten some people do DDF508

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />As mommafirst already stated -- yes with the MI and knowing that you both carry the Delta F508, once confirmed (if not already done) your child will have two copies of the Delta F508 gene... which is usually referred to as double Delta F508 or to shorten some people do DDF508

Nicole

I was around 20 weeks pregnant with my son when the dr spotted MI. My care was transferred immediately to a preinatologist and I was seen and had an ultrasound (not just the quickie kind in the drs office, but the ones you get when you are high risk, called "level II") about every 2 weeks. For about the last month or so I had ultrasounds and stress tests done weekly. I was induced at 39 weeks--mostly because I was induced with my other two and wanted to be induced again and because the dr wanted me to deliver at a hospital with the best NICU and pediatric surgeons.

Nicole

I was around 20 weeks pregnant with my son when the dr spotted MI. My care was transferred immediately to a preinatologist and I was seen and had an ultrasound (not just the quickie kind in the drs office, but the ones you get when you are high risk, called "level II") about every 2 weeks. For about the last month or so I had ultrasounds and stress tests done weekly. I was induced at 39 weeks--mostly because I was induced with my other two and wanted to be induced again and because the dr wanted me to deliver at a hospital with the best NICU and pediatric surgeons.

Nicole

Nicole

Nicole

westonsmom

I don't want to scare you either, but I had a similar experience with other moms on here. Weston was born at 36 weeks (still considered full term). He had an MI and went into surgery after 8 hrs. We didn't know we were carriers or that he had any problems. The MI caused his small intestine to not develop and connect to his large intestine. We only had an ultrasound at around 20 weeks, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Weston was in the hospital for 3 months and in and out about every month afterwards. This is worse case scenario. I know there are others who didn't need surgery and were out of the hospital in a few days to week. Weston also is homogenous delta 508. That is the gene your baby will have if both you and your husband are 508. I think you should get on them to monitor you more. I often wonder if anything could have been prevented if we had known about Weston's problem. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me anything.

westonsmom

I don't want to scare you either, but I had a similar experience with other moms on here. Weston was born at 36 weeks (still considered full term). He had an MI and went into surgery after 8 hrs. We didn't know we were carriers or that he had any problems. The MI caused his small intestine to not develop and connect to his large intestine. We only had an ultrasound at around 20 weeks, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Weston was in the hospital for 3 months and in and out about every month afterwards. This is worse case scenario. I know there are others who didn't need surgery and were out of the hospital in a few days to week. Weston also is homogenous delta 508. That is the gene your baby will have if both you and your husband are 508. I think you should get on them to monitor you more. I often wonder if anything could have been prevented if we had known about Weston's problem. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me anything.

westonsmom

westonsmom

westonsmom