medical plan

T

TonyaH

<P>Aside from everything that has already been mentioned, I will add a couple of items I have on Andrew's plan. These really are more 'middle school' needs, but depending on Alyssa's needs, they may help her.</P>
<P>1. Andrew always recieves as 'end' locker so he's not trapped in tight corners when he has a picc line. If Alyssa ever attends school with a picc, she may benefit from an 'end' cubby.</P>
<P>2. Gum or breath mints. When Andrew has an infection, his breath is very unpleasant. I have his 504 noted that he is allowed to use breath mints or gum in school to avoid embarassing issues.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I also wanted to mention that I go a step farther than just requesting he not be placed in class with other CFers. I also am in communication with my daughter's elementary school principal to ensure she is not placed in class with a CF patient, or sibling of a CF patient.(to the best of the school's knowledge) I don't know what your relationship is with your principal, but I'll bet they could make arrangements for your boys as well. Germs travel....and with daily contact with classmates you just never know what ALL of your children are bringing home.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

T

TonyaH

<P><BR>Aside from everything that has already been mentioned, I will add a couple of items I have on Andrew's plan. These really are more 'middle school' needs, but depending on Alyssa's needs, they may help her.</P>
<P>1. Andrew always recieves as 'end' locker so he's not trapped in tight corners when he has a picc line. If Alyssa ever attends school with a picc, she may benefit from an 'end' cubby.</P>
<P>2. Gum or breath mints. When Andrew has an infection, his breath is very unpleasant. I have his 504 noted that he is allowed to use breath mints or gum in school to avoid embarassing issues.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I also wanted to mention that I go a step farther than just requesting he not be placed in class with other CFers. I also am in communication with my daughter's elementary school principal to ensure she is not placed in class with a CF patient, or sibling of a CF patient.(to the best of the school's knowledge) I don't know what your relationship is with your principal, but I'll bet they could make arrangements for your boys as well. Germs travel....and with daily contact with classmates you just never know what ALL of your children are bringing home.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

BarbaraW

Lilly is on a 504, and Jack, who is starting K will be on a medical plan.

Some things ours include are:
changing seats if a classmate is sick
preferred seating near the door of the classroom to allow for easy bathroom access
leaving class early to get meds
still being able to participate in afternoon/evening activities, even if they have missed the day of school due to a doctors appointment
to notify us if one of their classmates have a respitory illness

BarbaraW

Some things ours include are:
changing seats if a classmate is sick
preferred seating near the door of the classroom to allow for easy bathroom access
leaving class early to get meds
still being able to participate in afternoon/evening activities, even if they have missed the day of school due to a doctors appointment
to notify us if one of their classmates have a respitory illness

BarbaraW

<br />
<br />Some things ours include are:
<br />changing seats if a classmate is sick
<br />preferred seating near the door of the classroom to allow for easy bathroom access
<br />leaving class early to get meds
<br />still being able to participate in afternoon/evening activities, even if they have missed the day of school due to a doctors appointment
<br />to notify us if one of their classmates have a respitory illness
<br />

hmw

We were given a very nice letter by our clinic when Emily had her first cf-related health plan.  It summarized the disease and it's need for the various types of tx our kids use at the beginning and then goes on to list the accommodations they suggest for a health plan, 504 or IEP. <br><br>They suggested, among other things (I can only find one page of the letter right now!):<br>Being in AC whenever possible during hot weather.<br>Being allowed extra snacks and to carry a water bottle.<br>When school is missed- limiting make-up work to the essentials and giving extended time to make up work.<br>Waive attendance requirements, and allow participation in activities or privileges that would be possible if at school.<br>Calling me when contagious or serious illness like flu, pneumonia are making the rounds.<br>As already mentioned- arranging for enzymes, inhalers, bathroom privileges, hand washing.<br><br>When it comes to field trips, policies vary from school to school. I'd definitely want to find out in advance how your district does it. I have to go on Emily's trips, but it's not for the enzymes- it's for her emergency seizure med, which is a 'controlled substance.' A parent or the actual school nurse has to go along when a child needs to bring a med in that class, but something like enzymes or inhalers do NOT present that issue. Since you and dh both work, you'll want to know for sure in advance how this works. <br><br>Having the self-administration of enzymes on paper is great, even if you don't utilize it immediately. :) Emily had a fairly good system with her nurse- the nurse shakes them down into the lid and into Emily's hand (so the nurse never even touches the pills) and she takes them right in the doorway. She likes using the nurses' bathroom at this time for round two of... number two. ;-) She doesn't like using the regular girls' room for this because people tend to notice little noises she makes or that it takes her a while and she gets embarrassed. <br><br>We've been doing IEP with attached health plan for 7yrs now. If you have any other questions I'll add what i can. :)<br><br><br>

hmw

We were given a very nice letter by our clinic when Emily had her first cf-related health plan. It summarized the disease and it's need for the various types of tx our kids use at the beginning and then goes on to list the accommodations they suggest for a health plan, 504 or IEP. <br><br>They suggested, among other things (I can only find one page of the letter right now!):<br>Being in AC whenever possible during hot weather.<br>Being allowed extra snacks and to carry a water bottle.<br>When school is missed- limiting make-up work to the essentials and giving extended time to make up work.<br>Waive attendance requirements, and allow participation in activities or privileges that would be possible if at school.<br>Calling me when contagious or serious illness like flu, pneumonia are making the rounds.<br>As already mentioned- arranging for enzymes, inhalers, bathroom privileges, hand washing.<br><br>When it comes to field trips, policies vary from school to school. I'd definitely want to find out in advance how your district does it. I have to go on Emily's trips, but it's not for the enzymes- it's for her emergency seizure med, which is a 'controlled substance.' A parent or the actual school nurse has to go along when a child needs to bring a med in that class, but something like enzymes or inhalers do NOT present that issue. Since you and dh both work, you'll want to know for sure in advance how this works. <br><br>Having the self-administration of enzymes on paper is great, even if you don't utilize it immediately. :) Emily had a fairly good system with her nurse- the nurse shakes them down into the lid and into Emily's hand (so the nurse never even touches the pills) and she takes them right in the doorway. She likes using the nurses' bathroom at this time for round two of... number two. ;-) She doesn't like using the regular girls' room for this because people tend to notice little noises she makes or that it takes her a while and she gets embarrassed. <br><br>We've been doing IEP with attached health plan for 7yrs now. If you have any other questions I'll add what i can. :)<br><br><br>

hmw

We were given a very nice letter by our clinic when Emily had her first cf-related health plan. It summarized the disease and it's need for the various types of tx our kids use at the beginning and then goes on to list the accommodations they suggest for a health plan, 504 or IEP. <br><br>They suggested, among other things (I can only find one page of the letter right now!):<br>Being in AC whenever possible during hot weather.<br>Being allowed extra snacks and to carry a water bottle.<br>When school is missed- limiting make-up work to the essentials and giving extended time to make up work.<br>Waive attendance requirements, and allow participation in activities or privileges that would be possible if at school.<br>Calling me when contagious or serious illness like flu, pneumonia are making the rounds.<br>As already mentioned- arranging for enzymes, inhalers, bathroom privileges, hand washing.<br><br>When it comes to field trips, policies vary from school to school. I'd definitely want to find out in advance how your district does it. I have to go on Emily's trips, but it's not for the enzymes- it's for her emergency seizure med, which is a 'controlled substance.' A parent or the actual school nurse has to go along when a child needs to bring a med in that class, but something like enzymes or inhalers do NOT present that issue. Since you and dh both work, you'll want to know for sure in advance how this works. <br><br>Having the self-administration of enzymes on paper is great, even if you don't utilize it immediately. :) Emily had a fairly good system with her nurse- the nurse shakes them down into the lid and into Emily's hand (so the nurse never even touches the pills) and she takes them right in the doorway. She likes using the nurses' bathroom at this time for round two of... number two. ;-) She doesn't like using the regular girls' room for this because people tend to notice little noises she makes or that it takes her a while and she gets embarrassed. <br><br>We've been doing IEP with attached health plan for 7yrs now. If you have any other questions I'll add what i can. :)<br><br><br>

hmw

This is a fantastic resource. I printed it out for Emily's school a couple years ago and they really found it informative.
<A HREF="http://www.cfri.org/pdf/2008CFintheClassroomEnglish.pdf">http://www.cfri.org/pdf/2008CFintheClassroomEnglish.pdf</A>

hmw

This is a fantastic resource. I printed it out for Emily's school a couple years ago and they really found it informative.
<A HREF="http://www.cfri.org/pdf/2008CFintheClassroomEnglish.pdf">http://www.cfri.org/pdf/2008CFintheClassroomEnglish.pdf</A>

hmw

<br /><A HREF="http://www.cfri.org/pdf/2008CFintheClassroomEnglish.pdf">http://www.cfri.org/pdf/2008CFintheClassroomEnglish.pdf</A>

izemmom

Shoot. I just sent our begining of the year letter, and wish I had been able to read this first! There are lots of good ideas here!

I send a letter to the principal, teacher and nurse in advance of our health plan meeting so they have a heads up before we go in. I detail the needs Emily has and the requests we will make. I am going to make notes of changes and re-do the letter now, based on these ideas. I love the 'locker or cubby away from other kids" idea.

ALso love the "be allowed to participate in after school activities if our for dr. appt, during the day."

izemmom

Shoot. I just sent our begining of the year letter, and wish I had been able to read this first! There are lots of good ideas here!

I send a letter to the principal, teacher and nurse in advance of our health plan meeting so they have a heads up before we go in. I detail the needs Emily has and the requests we will make. I am going to make notes of changes and re-do the letter now, based on these ideas. I love the 'locker or cubby away from other kids" idea.

ALso love the "be allowed to participate in after school activities if our for dr. appt, during the day."

izemmom

<br />
<br />I send a letter to the principal, teacher and nurse in advance of our health plan meeting so they have a heads up before we go in. I detail the needs Emily has and the requests we will make. I am going to make notes of changes and re-do the letter now, based on these ideas. I love the 'locker or cubby away from other kids" idea.
<br />
<br />ALso love the "be allowed to participate in after school activities if our for dr. appt, during the day."