Men with CF who have had children using ICSI

blackchameleon

My wife and i went through the IVF process, using ICSI to 'harvest' my sperm, and have two sons aged 14 and 12 as of August this year. I am wondering about there chances of being infertile as we were told it may be an issue. It seemed a long way off back then however now puberty has arrived and i am just wondering if there is anyone out there who knows if sons of men with CF, conceived artificially, who know for sure if they have sperm naturally in there semen or not? Thanks heaps, Blacky

blackchameleon

My wife and i went through the IVF process, using ICSI to 'harvest' my sperm, and have two sons aged 14 and 12 as of August this year. I am wondering about there chances of being infertile as we were told it may be an issue. It seemed a long way off back then however now puberty has arrived and i am just wondering if there is anyone out there who knows if sons of men with CF, conceived artificially, who know for sure if they have sperm naturally in there semen or not? Thanks heaps, Blacky

blackchameleon

Havoc

I would think that everything should be fine, however you may want to broach the subject when they are a little older and perhaps have a sperm count done.

Havoc

I would think that everything should be fine, however you may want to broach the subject when they are a little older and perhaps have a sperm count done.

Havoc

julie

Being that they are carriers, there is always a *chance* that they could have CBAVD. It's HIGHLY unlikely, but there is more and more coming out about "symptomatic carriers".

I think it's something you should discuss with them, and sooner than later.

julie

Being that they are carriers, there is always a *chance* that they could have CBAVD. It's HIGHLY unlikely, but there is more and more coming out about "symptomatic carriers".

I think it's something you should discuss with them, and sooner than later.

julie

<br />
<br />I think it's something you should discuss with them, and sooner than later.

Lex

Are you suggesting that there is an inherent flaw in ICSI or that sons of CF'ers may develop an issue or that sons of CF'ers concieced from ICSI will have an issue? Thanks.

Lex

Are you suggesting that there is an inherent flaw in ICSI or that sons of CF'ers may develop an issue or that sons of CF'ers concieced from ICSI will have an issue? Thanks.

Lex

blackchameleon

Not suggesting there is an inherent flaw with ICSI Lex, it worked perfectly for us!
CBVAS is a genetic issue and affects men without CF too, it was made clear to us at the time there is a chance they may have CBVAS even though will only be carriers of one of my CF mutations. In Australia i was the first man by some time to use this technique to have children by some years and so as teen years loom large i thought it would be good to know if any man in the world with CF had fathered sons the way way i did, and who may have already reached an age where a sperm count was sort. Just trying to gain as much info as possible before we talk with the when we feel the time is right, and i love to copare apples with apples.
Interested why you said you 'think' everything should be fine Havoc? I'm after the marrow of truth mate, however you state it as though you have clear knowledge and authority on the matter, thats why i'm interested to hear if you have clinical proof for the statement or if it is just a presumption? Thanks Blacky

blackchameleon

Not suggesting there is an inherent flaw with ICSI Lex, it worked perfectly for us!
CBVAS is a genetic issue and affects men without CF too, it was made clear to us at the time there is a chance they may have CBVAS even though will only be carriers of one of my CF mutations. In Australia i was the first man by some time to use this technique to have children by some years and so as teen years loom large i thought it would be good to know if any man in the world with CF had fathered sons the way way i did, and who may have already reached an age where a sperm count was sort. Just trying to gain as much info as possible before we talk with the when we feel the time is right, and i love to copare apples with apples.
Interested why you said you 'think' everything should be fine Havoc? I'm after the marrow of truth mate, however you state it as though you have clear knowledge and authority on the matter, thats why i'm interested to hear if you have clinical proof for the statement or if it is just a presumption? Thanks Blacky

blackchameleon

<br />CBVAS is a genetic issue and affects men without CF too, it was made clear to us at the time there is a chance they may have CBVAS even though will only be carriers of one of my CF mutations. In Australia i was the first man by some time to use this technique to have children by some years and so as teen years loom large i thought it would be good to know if any man in the world with CF had fathered sons the way way i did, and who may have already reached an age where a sperm count was sort. Just trying to gain as much info as possible before we talk with the when we feel the time is right, and i love to copare apples with apples.
<br />Interested why you said you 'think' everything should be fine Havoc? I'm after the marrow of truth mate, however you state it as though you have clear knowledge and authority on the matter, thats why i'm interested to hear if you have clinical proof for the statement or if it is just a presumption? Thanks Blacky

Twistofchaos

I would think the genetic/DNA makeup of your children would go unaffected by ICSI, why or how would it change? And so they will grow and develop as they would with other methods of conception. So if they do not have CF then I don't think there's any reason why they would develop this inability, think of it this way, the genes for the rest of their body are "fine" too even though comming from a CF male as well.

Twistofchaos

I would think the genetic/DNA makeup of your children would go unaffected by ICSI, why or how would it change? And so they will grow and develop as they would with other methods of conception. So if they do not have CF then I don't think there's any reason why they would develop this inability, think of it this way, the genes for the rest of their body are "fine" too even though comming from a CF male as well.

Twistofchaos

julie

Twist... ICSI is actually a "manipulation" technique, so by all means, it's not unreasonable to fathom that something could have been affected/changed by the use of the ICSI procedure. However, that's not what he's asking here.

Blacky, honestly I think AU's medical expertise is WAY ahead of the US'. IVF has been around a while for us, but ICSI is really only in the last decade or so. Those of us with little boys (and I've got two) will probably be contacting you in our boys' teen years to see the outcome for your boys (does that make sense?).

julie

Twist... ICSI is actually a "manipulation" technique, so by all means, it's not unreasonable to fathom that something could have been affected/changed by the use of the ICSI procedure. However, that's not what he's asking here.

Blacky, honestly I think AU's medical expertise is WAY ahead of the US'. IVF has been around a while for us, but ICSI is really only in the last decade or so. Those of us with little boys (and I've got two) will probably be contacting you in our boys' teen years to see the outcome for your boys (does that make sense?).