Men with CF

C

cfgf28

Are there any men on this site with CF that have had children without assisted reproduction, IVF etc...?And if so, do you know what your mutation is? How long were you trying before your significant other conceived??

C

cfgf28

Are there any men on this site with CF that have had children without assisted reproduction, IVF etc...?And if so, do you know what your mutation is? How long were you trying before your significant other conceived??

C

cfgf28

Printer

I am male 71 w/o children but I am 100% convinced that my dad had CF (not just a carrier). So much of my current condition (with treatment) is similar to his condition, w/o dx or CF treatment. He was hospitalized several times with a dx of TB.

He had four children so it is possible.

Bill

Printer

I am male 71 w/o children but I am 100% convinced that my dad had CF (not just a carrier). So much of my current condition (with treatment) is similar to his condition, w/o dx or CF treatment. He was hospitalized several times with a dx of TB.

Bill

Printer

Bill

C

cfgf28

Why do you say not advisable? If I'm not a cf carrier....which yes I know they don't screen for each of the thousands of mutations... But I wouldn't do IVF and have them select only the embryo's without cf mutations, Im not up for that much playing god....But If I was a CF carrier I wouldn't try to have kids naturally or with assistance...

C

cfgf28

Why do you say not advisable? If I'm not a cf carrier....which yes I know they don't screen for each of the thousands of mutations... But I wouldn't do IVF and have them select only the embryo's without cf mutations, Im not up for that much playing god....But If I was a CF carrier I wouldn't try to have kids naturally or with assistance...

C

cfgf28

Printer

ALL of your children will be CF carriers. Just stating a fact not commenting on any decision that you would make,

Bill

Printer

ALL of your children will be CF carriers. Just stating a fact not commenting on any decision that you would make,

Bill

Printer

Bill

C

cfgf28

I know they would be carriers... and if I am a carrier, I think the child has a %50 chance of having CF, but if Im not a carrier than the child will not have CF but will be a carrier no matter what, unlike when both parents are just carriers, then its 1 in 4 the child will have it, 1 in 4 they will be a carrier, 1 in 4 they won't have it or be a carrier... at least that's what I think I read....

C

cfgf28

I know they would be carriers... and if I am a carrier, I think the child has a %50 chance of having CF, but if Im not a carrier than the child will not have CF but will be a carrier no matter what, unlike when both parents are just carriers, then its 1 in 4 the child will have it, 1 in 4 they will be a carrier, 1 in 4 they won't have it or be a carrier... at least that's what I think I read....

C

cfgf28

Havoc

Yes, as Bill said, all of your children will be carriers. There is some evidence that carriers can exhibit some of the symptoms of CF, particularly digestive and sinus issues. It also may put them in a sticky situation if they decide to have children of their own. Finally, although it's not as risky as a female with CF reproducing, you have to consider what effect having children will have on his health. Kids bring home germs from school, they require a lot of attention and energy etc. Sure, it's possible and many choose to go down that road. However, sometimes the biological desire to reproduce masks risk factors and there are those on this forum who have unfortunately paid with their lives.

In the end, it's your choice, I would just prefer it to be a very informed one.

Havoc

Yes, as Bill said, all of your children will be carriers. There is some evidence that carriers can exhibit some of the symptoms of CF, particularly digestive and sinus issues. It also may put them in a sticky situation if they decide to have children of their own. Finally, although it's not as risky as a female with CF reproducing, you have to consider what effect having children will have on his health. Kids bring home germs from school, they require a lot of attention and energy etc. Sure, it's possible and many choose to go down that road. However, sometimes the biological desire to reproduce masks risk factors and there are those on this forum who have unfortunately paid with their lives.

In the end, it's your choice, I would just prefer it to be a very informed one.