Mild and Rare Cases...where are you?

lmattaway

Nicole,
Thanks for your honesty, it's much appreciated. And also, thanks for getting the high-jacked thread back on track!

lmattaway

Nicole,
Thanks for your honesty, it's much appreciated. And also, thanks for getting the high-jacked thread back on track!

rvm1212

Hi,

My boyfriend is also a "mild" case. Diagnosed this year at 35. PS for the moment. Bronchiectasies. FEV95%. Staphyloccocus in sputum. Not psudomona yet.
Just have to do chest theraphy and take inhaled corticoesteroids and oral NAC. He is not in hypertonic saline yet, (they say he is too mild ). Anyway i´m not sure about this, and i´ll ask about it in our next visit. He doesn´t have much symptons, just a little cough in the morning when he wakes up. They told him he would probably live to be 50-60. And maybe a normal life spam if he was lucky enough and complient with his treatments. What have your doctors told you about your prognosis??
Rita.

rvm1212

Hi,

My boyfriend is also a "mild" case. Diagnosed this year at 35. PS for the moment. Bronchiectasies. FEV95%. Staphyloccocus in sputum. Not psudomona yet.
Just have to do chest theraphy and take inhaled corticoesteroids and oral NAC. He is not in hypertonic saline yet, (they say he is too mild ). Anyway i´m not sure about this, and i´ll ask about it in our next visit. He doesn´t have much symptons, just a little cough in the morning when he wakes up. They told him he would probably live to be 50-60. And maybe a normal life spam if he was lucky enough and complient with his treatments. What have your doctors told you about your prognosis??
Rita.

rvm1212

Hi,

Rita.

rvm1212

Hi,

Rita.

rvm1212

Hi,

Rita.

rvm1212

Hi,

Rita.

lmattaway

Rita,
My docs think my prognosis is good, but it's really hard for anyone to know. All my stats (PFTs to xrays) haven't changed in the past 10-15 years. I think if I can stay away from contracting any of the bacterias and just stick with Staph I may very well have a "normal" life span as well. As long as I can keep my FEV1s up and stay on top of any new treatments (preventative care) I think my future is just as bright as the next guy!

lmattaway

Rita,
My docs think my prognosis is good, but it's really hard for anyone to know. All my stats (PFTs to xrays) haven't changed in the past 10-15 years. I think if I can stay away from contracting any of the bacterias and just stick with Staph I may very well have a "normal" life span as well. As long as I can keep my FEV1s up and stay on top of any new treatments (preventative care) I think my future is just as bright as the next guy!

lmattaway

Rita,

lmattaway

Rita,

lmattaway

Rita,

lmattaway

Rita,

jdubbs

SWIM!

PFTs above 100%. FEV1/FVC ratio is slightly low. Culture PA. Take enzymes. 4 polypectomies, no sense of smell. PFTs dropped during college when I did little exercise and no physiotherapy. Since then I've exercised regularly (but no physio) and PFTs have remained stable.

The best exercise, hands down, for my lungs is swimming. 1.5 hours of pretty vigorous (albeit slow) swimming for 6 months boosted my pfts by 10 points, after having been stable for about 5 years. If you want to boost your lung capacity, swim. Having said that, I should probably get back in the pool.

Quick search found: (of course maybe people with large lungs are better at swimming to begin with, but hey)

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/6/2/237
">http://www.erj.ersjournals.com...tent/abstract/6/2/237
</a>
Best wishes

-James

31/w cf

jdubbs

SWIM!

PFTs above 100%. FEV1/FVC ratio is slightly low. Culture PA. Take enzymes. 4 polypectomies, no sense of smell. PFTs dropped during college when I did little exercise and no physiotherapy. Since then I've exercised regularly (but no physio) and PFTs have remained stable.

The best exercise, hands down, for my lungs is swimming. 1.5 hours of pretty vigorous (albeit slow) swimming for 6 months boosted my pfts by 10 points, after having been stable for about 5 years. If you want to boost your lung capacity, swim. Having said that, I should probably get back in the pool.

Quick search found: (of course maybe people with large lungs are better at swimming to begin with, but hey)

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/6/2/237
</a>
Best wishes

-James

31/w cf

jdubbs

SWIM!

</a>
Best wishes

-James

31/w cf

jdubbs

SWIM!

</a>
Best wishes

-James

31/w cf

jdubbs

SWIM!

</a>
Best wishes

-James

31/w cf

jdubbs

SWIM!

</a>
Best wishes

-James

31/w cf