milk does not increase mucous?

sweetwhite32

I know if i drink alot of dairy or eat alot of dairy,my mucus does increase and wheezing begins ......But everyone is different so this may not be the case for everyone...

sweetwhite32

I know if i drink alot of dairy or eat alot of dairy,my mucus does increase and wheezing begins ......But everyone is different so this may not be the case for everyone...

sweetwhite32

sweetwhite32

sweetwhite32

Liza

Hi, We have heard yes and no on this issue. I have two girls w/CF. The oldest, Anna, doesn't drink milk because she says it makes her mouth slimmy and feels like she has more mucus. She will however eat ice cream and milk shakes, but not on a regular basis. She used to drink milk and didn't start complaining about his problem until she was in her teens. On the other hand, my younger daughter, Rachel, loves milk and drinks two or three tall glasses daily. Never has had a complaint that it makes her mouth slimmy or feels more mucusy.

I say, if he loves milk, especially chocolate milk, then let him have as much as he wants. He is getting good calories, and if you can find chocolate milk made with whole milk (impossible I'm sure) or he makes his own all the better. Plus he's getting Vit. D and Calcium which he needs even more so with CF.

Liza

Hi, We have heard yes and no on this issue. I have two girls w/CF. The oldest, Anna, doesn't drink milk because she says it makes her mouth slimmy and feels like she has more mucus. She will however eat ice cream and milk shakes, but not on a regular basis. She used to drink milk and didn't start complaining about his problem until she was in her teens. On the other hand, my younger daughter, Rachel, loves milk and drinks two or three tall glasses daily. Never has had a complaint that it makes her mouth slimmy or feels more mucusy.

I say, if he loves milk, especially chocolate milk, then let him have as much as he wants. He is getting good calories, and if you can find chocolate milk made with whole milk (impossible I'm sure) or he makes his own all the better. Plus he's getting Vit. D and Calcium which he needs even more so with CF.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />I say, if he loves milk, especially chocolate milk, then let him have as much as he wants. He is getting good calories, and if you can find chocolate milk made with whole milk (impossible I'm sure) or he makes his own all the better. Plus he's getting Vit. D and Calcium which he needs even more so with CF.
<br />
<br />

Foody

From what I understand the mucus response is often due to undetected milk sensativities or mild allergies to the milk proteins (particularly casein). Pastuerized milk removes all the natural enzymes in cow's milk which are suppose to be present to aid in the digestion of the milk proteins (like human breast milk - it provides enzymes for the digestion of fat and protein in the milk itself). When milk is heated, the enzymes are killed. The undigested proteins are sometimes seen by the body as a foreign invader, causing an allergy response of increased mucus production in varying degrees. Over time this can create a true milk allergy in some people.

So, some people have issues with dairy right away and can not digest the protein or have a problem with the lactose. Others may have a mild reaction, while others have no issues at all. This can change over time as one ages, especially if our diet is not particularly diverse (over-dependence on one type of food can lead to food allergies).

So fresh, non-pastuerized milk can be an option for some because the natural occuring enzymes will help in digestion. A true mild allergy (mild or severe) can benefit from allergy elimination treatments (NAET) to desensatize the person from reacting to the undigested milk proteins. For some , avoiding it is sometimes the only option. Some states allow unpastuerized or "fresh" milk, other do not unless you own a herd share or your own cow. We have a herd share and get unpastuerized milk, cream and buttermilk. We are starting to make our own butter and it seems to be working so far.

I developed a milk allergy over time and my son couldn't have any until we treated his allergies with the NAET technique. Now both of us can have some but I still notice extra congestion if I over do it (but it doesn't hurt my stomach anymore). Just as the body can learn to react to the allergen, it can "unlearn."

Most doctors are highly unaware of food sensativities and allergies in general. I think testing and treating allergies (food and environmental) is important in CF care. You can get traditional blood tests to confirm your allergies and/or be tested and treated with NAET. I know parents of children who had severe peanut allergies and others who had many behavioral and learning issues which resolved after NAET. Our experience had been great and we just go back once a year to check that nothing else is happening or that retreatment isn't warranted (as is often the case for seasonal...but one treatment a year and no drugs ain't to shabby).

Hope this helps...

Foody

From what I understand the mucus response is often due to undetected milk sensativities or mild allergies to the milk proteins (particularly casein). Pastuerized milk removes all the natural enzymes in cow's milk which are suppose to be present to aid in the digestion of the milk proteins (like human breast milk - it provides enzymes for the digestion of fat and protein in the milk itself). When milk is heated, the enzymes are killed. The undigested proteins are sometimes seen by the body as a foreign invader, causing an allergy response of increased mucus production in varying degrees. Over time this can create a true milk allergy in some people.

So, some people have issues with dairy right away and can not digest the protein or have a problem with the lactose. Others may have a mild reaction, while others have no issues at all. This can change over time as one ages, especially if our diet is not particularly diverse (over-dependence on one type of food can lead to food allergies).

So fresh, non-pastuerized milk can be an option for some because the natural occuring enzymes will help in digestion. A true mild allergy (mild or severe) can benefit from allergy elimination treatments (NAET) to desensatize the person from reacting to the undigested milk proteins. For some , avoiding it is sometimes the only option. Some states allow unpastuerized or "fresh" milk, other do not unless you own a herd share or your own cow. We have a herd share and get unpastuerized milk, cream and buttermilk. We are starting to make our own butter and it seems to be working so far.

I developed a milk allergy over time and my son couldn't have any until we treated his allergies with the NAET technique. Now both of us can have some but I still notice extra congestion if I over do it (but it doesn't hurt my stomach anymore). Just as the body can learn to react to the allergen, it can "unlearn."

Most doctors are highly unaware of food sensativities and allergies in general. I think testing and treating allergies (food and environmental) is important in CF care. You can get traditional blood tests to confirm your allergies and/or be tested and treated with NAET. I know parents of children who had severe peanut allergies and others who had many behavioral and learning issues which resolved after NAET. Our experience had been great and we just go back once a year to check that nothing else is happening or that retreatment isn't warranted (as is often the case for seasonal...but one treatment a year and no drugs ain't to shabby).

Hope this helps...

Foody

Hope this helps...

Foody

Hope this helps...

Foody

<br />
<br />So, some people have issues with dairy right away and can not digest the protein or have a problem with the lactose. Others may have a mild reaction, while others have no issues at all. This can change over time as one ages, especially if our diet is not particularly diverse (over-dependence on one type of food can lead to food allergies).
<br />
<br />So fresh, non-pastuerized milk can be an option for some because the natural occuring enzymes will help in digestion. A true mild allergy (mild or severe) can benefit from allergy elimination treatments (NAET) to desensatize the person from reacting to the undigested milk proteins. For some , avoiding it is sometimes the only option. Some states allow unpastuerized or "fresh" milk, other do not unless you own a herd share or your own cow. We have a herd share and get unpastuerized milk, cream and buttermilk. We are starting to make our own butter and it seems to be working so far.
<br />
<br />I developed a milk allergy over time and my son couldn't have any until we treated his allergies with the NAET technique. Now both of us can have some but I still notice extra congestion if I over do it (but it doesn't hurt my stomach anymore). Just as the body can learn to react to the allergen, it can "unlearn."
<br />
<br />Most doctors are highly unaware of food sensativities and allergies in general. I think testing and treating allergies (food and environmental) is important in CF care. You can get traditional blood tests to confirm your allergies and/or be tested and treated with NAET. I know parents of children who had severe peanut allergies and others who had many behavioral and learning issues which resolved after NAET. Our experience had been great and we just go back once a year to check that nothing else is happening or that retreatment isn't warranted (as is often the case for seasonal...but one treatment a year and no drugs ain't to shabby).
<br />
<br />Hope this helps...
<br />

Alyssa

Our pulmo doc said the same thing as yours -- no evidence.

We haven't had any problems -- both my kids drink a lot of milk.... now my husband will say milk causes mucus for him, but he doesn't have CF -- and I'm not sure he is referring to it actually comes up from the lungs or if it's more of a throat thing.

Alyssa

We haven't had any problems -- both my kids drink a lot of milk.... now my husband will say milk causes mucus for him, but he doesn't have CF -- and I'm not sure he is referring to it actually comes up from the lungs or if it's more of a throat thing.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />We haven't had any problems -- both my kids drink a lot of milk.... now my husband will say milk causes mucus for him, but he doesn't have CF -- and I'm not sure he is referring to it actually comes up from the lungs or if it's more of a throat thing.