MRSA and port

M

mneville

My 5 year old is about to have his 4th sinus surgery and needs 2 weeks of IVs first. CHOP told us that a port has less chance of infection. But another doctor told us that a port is counterproductive with MRSA, that there is more of a chance of infection? Aidan has cultured MRSA for over a year in sinuses/lungs. Does anyone here culture MRSA and have a port? Thanks so much.

Megan

M

mneville

My 5 year old is about to have his 4th sinus surgery and needs 2 weeks of IVs first. CHOP told us that a port has less chance of infection. But another doctor told us that a port is counterproductive with MRSA, that there is more of a chance of infection? Aidan has cultured MRSA for over a year in sinuses/lungs. Does anyone here culture MRSA and have a port? Thanks so much.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Megan

tesorotiffa

I culture MRSA, and I got a port over the summer. My doc never said anything about a higher chance of infection. The surgeon who inserted my port told me that the only way a port can get infected is through it being accessed and such by nurses/etc. who do not wear gloves and masks. Hygiene will be very important!

I had my first port 10 years ago before I ever cultured MRSA, and it got infected after two years so I cannot say that the two go hand in hand!

I will say that I was against getting another port due to the ordeal I had with the first one, but after having to have several sinus surgeries and abx I am so glad I got another one because it is much less painful than constant picc lines! Good luck!

tesorotiffa

I culture MRSA, and I got a port over the summer. My doc never said anything about a higher chance of infection. The surgeon who inserted my port told me that the only way a port can get infected is through it being accessed and such by nurses/etc. who do not wear gloves and masks. Hygiene will be very important!

I had my first port 10 years ago before I ever cultured MRSA, and it got infected after two years so I cannot say that the two go hand in hand!

I will say that I was against getting another port due to the ordeal I had with the first one, but after having to have several sinus surgeries and abx I am so glad I got another one because it is much less painful than constant picc lines! Good luck!

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />I had my first port 10 years ago before I ever cultured MRSA, and it got infected after two years so I cannot say that the two go hand in hand!
<br />
<br />I will say that I was against getting another port due to the ordeal I had with the first one, but after having to have several sinus surgeries and abx I am so glad I got another one because it is much less painful than constant picc lines! Good luck!

tleigh

I have had a port for 6 + yrs. As well, I culture MRSA in my lungs and occasionally sinuses. I understand what your doc may have meant. I, for the first time in April, contracted a MRSA blood infection. The MRSA likes to colonize in places. The port line can be an ideal place for these guys to collect, but it does not guarantee it will happen. I had utilized the port for more than 5 yrs. As was mentioned previously-careful and cautious hygiene is vital! The port does make treatment much easier and less stressful-for me, it is worth it to be able to do aggressive maintenance.

tleigh

I have had a port for 6 + yrs. As well, I culture MRSA in my lungs and occasionally sinuses. I understand what your doc may have meant. I, for the first time in April, contracted a MRSA blood infection. The MRSA likes to colonize in places. The port line can be an ideal place for these guys to collect, but it does not guarantee it will happen. I had utilized the port for more than 5 yrs. As was mentioned previously-careful and cautious hygiene is vital! The port does make treatment much easier and less stressful-for me, it is worth it to be able to do aggressive maintenance.

tleigh

tleigh

tleigh

M

mneville

thanks so much. aidan hates piccs but i think he would hate a port too. at least the picc comes out and he can forget about it for a while.

M

mneville

thanks so much. aidan hates piccs but i think he would hate a port too. at least the picc comes out and he can forget about it for a while.

M

mneville

M

mneville

M

mneville