My 2yo might have CF. A few questions-RESULTS IN! UPDATED! 1-16-08

mom2Kierstyn

My 2yo might have CF. A few questions

OK...I just got home from the sweat test. Her number was 25. Is that still too high even though it is considered negative? Or am I being overparanoid?

Valigirl21-my son is almost 8 and weighs 40 pounds- Not sure on his height though. He has always been small! I'll pray for your son!

Thanks everyone!

mom2Kierstyn

OK...I just got home from the sweat test. Her number was 25. Is that still too high even though it is considered negative? Or am I being overparanoid?

Valigirl21-my son is almost 8 and weighs 40 pounds- Not sure on his height though. He has always been small! I'll pray for your son!

Thanks everyone!

mom2Kierstyn

Thanks everyone!

mom2Kierstyn

Thanks everyone!

mom2Kierstyn

Thanks everyone!

Alyssa

geeze that's a tough one -- I would still push for full Ambry testing -- ask Steven on the Ambry post -- Family Section on the top is Ask Ambry -- go to the last page and hit reply and you can type your question to him. He just posted to another mother who got results of 7 & 8, he told her it was unlikely Ambry would find anything, because most A-typical cases were found with sweat tests in the 30's or higher.

I would tend to agree with him, <b>except</b> I know I recall two people on here for sure that have genetic proof of 2 genes and they have sweat tests of 14 and 23 -- so it can happen.

I would push for full testing, at the very least get the sweat test done again. Also check into the fecal fat testing just for good measure.

I know you mentioned the certified center being 3 hours away and Medicaid question, but I think it would be worth it to get a referral there or find out if you can go without a referral. They would be much more experienced at handling questionable sweat test results and or would be trusted to perform an accurate sweat test.

Alyssa

geeze that's a tough one -- I would still push for full Ambry testing -- ask Steven on the Ambry post -- Family Section on the top is Ask Ambry -- go to the last page and hit reply and you can type your question to him. He just posted to another mother who got results of 7 & 8, he told her it was unlikely Ambry would find anything, because most A-typical cases were found with sweat tests in the 30's or higher.

I would tend to agree with him, <b>except</b> I know I recall two people on here for sure that have genetic proof of 2 genes and they have sweat tests of 14 and 23 -- so it can happen.

I would push for full testing, at the very least get the sweat test done again. Also check into the fecal fat testing just for good measure.

I know you mentioned the certified center being 3 hours away and Medicaid question, but I think it would be worth it to get a referral there or find out if you can go without a referral. They would be much more experienced at handling questionable sweat test results and or would be trusted to perform an accurate sweat test.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

I also see that Celiac hasn't been ruled out yet -- get confirmation on that first, because from what you describe Celiac is a very good possibility too.

Did they only do a blood test? If so they are only 85% certain - you still have a 15% chance that she has Celiac but the blood test didn't tell you. The most accurate way to tell is to do a colonoscopy to get a biopsy of the intestine -- don't know if they do that on babies - my daughter had it done, but she was 17 years old at the time.

Alyssa

I also see that Celiac hasn't been ruled out yet -- get confirmation on that first, because from what you describe Celiac is a very good possibility too.

Did they only do a blood test? If so they are only 85% certain - you still have a 15% chance that she has Celiac but the blood test didn't tell you. The most accurate way to tell is to do a colonoscopy to get a biopsy of the intestine -- don't know if they do that on babies - my daughter had it done, but she was 17 years old at the time.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

mom2Kierstyn

Thanks! My DDs Celiacs test came back negative. And it was a blood test. I am torn on the sweat test. I want to think it's a no but I also know that 25 isn't all that low. I have an appointment with the Dr next month so I'll ask about it. For the CF, what does full testing entail?

mom2Kierstyn

Thanks! My DDs Celiacs test came back negative. And it was a blood test. I am torn on the sweat test. I want to think it's a no but I also know that 25 isn't all that low. I have an appointment with the Dr next month so I'll ask about it. For the CF, what does full testing entail?

mom2Kierstyn

mom2Kierstyn

mom2Kierstyn