My 7 mo old son in testing stage

Demekadj

Hi I'm new here but really need some advice/opinions about my son. A little background.....I have 3 children a 5.5 yr. old son, 2 yr. old daughter and 7 mo. old son with no known family history of CF. Okay so my 7 month old son, Davis, has had respiratory issues since 2 months of age. He was born in August and started having problems the first of November and was started on albuterol nebulizer treatments PRN and towards the end of the month Pulmicort treatments BID neither of which helped at that time. Since then it's been a continuous cycle of congestion, cough, wheezing, stridor, and respiratory distress. He has been hospitalized twice once in December for 11 days and once in March for 5. The first admitting diagnosis was "pneumonia" though most all the Dr's said it looked like an atypical pneumonia. He was deep suctioned several times every day had round the clock breathing treatments was put on O2 at one time due to a drop in O2 sats and had several different tests done including a CT of the chest, a swallow study, an Upper GI barium study, Xrays, 2 sweat tests (both with insufficient sweat). And after all that was D/C home in not a whole lot better condition than when admitted he just wasn't really responding to too much other than the deep suctioning. I mean some times the breathing treatments would seem to help but not as well as they probably should. Anyway they took him off all scheduled breathing treatments and were just told to give them to him PRN. After that things seemed to get better for a few weeks the symptoms weren't totally gone but were much better. He saw the pulmonogist and he has us do an echocardiogram b/c apparently an xray showed him having a "prominent pulomonary artery" and he wanted to rule out a few things and it came back okay basically and he also had a 3rd sweat test which was also insufficient. The pulmonologist basically said we are trying to rule out things and at this point it could be CF, RAD (asthma) or just benign wheezing of infancy. He had us continue with the PRN nebs and didn't really change anything. All was about the same except for occasional trips to his Pedi where he was put on oral steroids for wheezing and his skin issues (he has BAD eczema). About a month ago he was restarted on Pulmicort BID with Xopenex PRN and also started on Singulair once a day. Those seemed to be working pretty good but then he got worse again and was hospitalized at the beginning of March b/c of respiratory distress all the same symptoms: wheezing, retracting, tachypnea, dehydration, congestion etc. but this time he was diagnosed with metapneumovirus from the virus panels they ran. He was released after 5 days had a 4th sweat test done still insufficient and they FINALLY did a genetic screen which ended up coming back normal. He's been pretty good since then up until this week when he got an ear infection and is now starting to get congested worse and is coughing more.

He's due to see his pulmonogist again on Friday the 10th and is scheduled for yet another sweat test =(. The dr. basically said they would continue doing the sweat test until they get a result. I'm about dying in this limbo with no real answers. I feel like I'm in some Dr office or hospital every week. Both me and my husband work but he's not in daycare, my MIL watches him and I'm a nurse...I actually work for his pediatrician. And like I said earlier he rarely goes a day without having a little episode of congestion or wheezing, he has really bad eczema, and horrible smelling stools. He's currently on Similac Alimentum which I know will make stools alot smellier but until December he was breastfeed and still had stinky poos. His stools are mostly always like a dark green color and loose but he's had an occasional more formed yellow grayish stool and he normally has 3 BMs a day....somedays more somedays maybe 2.

I know that's a LONG read but I'm stressing out SO much. My oldest 2 haven't had problems like this at all. My oldest had a 2-3 week stint on nebs at around 9 months of age and has a fairly chronic cough I think due to allergies but that's it. This is all new, foreign territory for us. There's no family history of CF that we know of and no major problems with asthma. Just a big history of food and environmental allergies. Basically I'm just wondering if I'm being too paranoid and nitpicking everything or if this sounds like it could very well be CF. From what I've read and what the Dr in the hospital said the genetic testing can miss alot so just b/c it came back normal doesn't rule it out completely? And what are your opinions about the repeat sweat tests? This boy just DOES NOT sweat....it's insane!! We wrap him up like an eskimo in the dead of winter and still nothing. Any tips to maybe help him sweat more? Any advice/opinions are more than appreciated! Thanks for reading all that jumbled mess....I hope it all made sense.

Demekadj

Hi I'm new here but really need some advice/opinions about my son. A little background.....I have 3 children a 5.5 yr. old son, 2 yr. old daughter and 7 mo. old son with no known family history of CF. Okay so my 7 month old son, Davis, has had respiratory issues since 2 months of age. He was born in August and started having problems the first of November and was started on albuterol nebulizer treatments PRN and towards the end of the month Pulmicort treatments BID neither of which helped at that time. Since then it's been a continuous cycle of congestion, cough, wheezing, stridor, and respiratory distress. He has been hospitalized twice once in December for 11 days and once in March for 5. The first admitting diagnosis was "pneumonia" though most all the Dr's said it looked like an atypical pneumonia. He was deep suctioned several times every day had round the clock breathing treatments was put on O2 at one time due to a drop in O2 sats and had several different tests done including a CT of the chest, a swallow study, an Upper GI barium study, Xrays, 2 sweat tests (both with insufficient sweat). And after all that was D/C home in not a whole lot better condition than when admitted he just wasn't really responding to too much other than the deep suctioning. I mean some times the breathing treatments would seem to help but not as well as they probably should. Anyway they took him off all scheduled breathing treatments and were just told to give them to him PRN. After that things seemed to get better for a few weeks the symptoms weren't totally gone but were much better. He saw the pulmonogist and he has us do an echocardiogram b/c apparently an xray showed him having a "prominent pulomonary artery" and he wanted to rule out a few things and it came back okay basically and he also had a 3rd sweat test which was also insufficient. The pulmonologist basically said we are trying to rule out things and at this point it could be CF, RAD (asthma) or just benign wheezing of infancy. He had us continue with the PRN nebs and didn't really change anything. All was about the same except for occasional trips to his Pedi where he was put on oral steroids for wheezing and his skin issues (he has BAD eczema). About a month ago he was restarted on Pulmicort BID with Xopenex PRN and also started on Singulair once a day. Those seemed to be working pretty good but then he got worse again and was hospitalized at the beginning of March b/c of respiratory distress all the same symptoms: wheezing, retracting, tachypnea, dehydration, congestion etc. but this time he was diagnosed with metapneumovirus from the virus panels they ran. He was released after 5 days had a 4th sweat test done still insufficient and they FINALLY did a genetic screen which ended up coming back normal. He's been pretty good since then up until this week when he got an ear infection and is now starting to get congested worse and is coughing more.

He's due to see his pulmonogist again on Friday the 10th and is scheduled for yet another sweat test =(. The dr. basically said they would continue doing the sweat test until they get a result. I'm about dying in this limbo with no real answers. I feel like I'm in some Dr office or hospital every week. Both me and my husband work but he's not in daycare, my MIL watches him and I'm a nurse...I actually work for his pediatrician. And like I said earlier he rarely goes a day without having a little episode of congestion or wheezing, he has really bad eczema, and horrible smelling stools. He's currently on Similac Alimentum which I know will make stools alot smellier but until December he was breastfeed and still had stinky poos. His stools are mostly always like a dark green color and loose but he's had an occasional more formed yellow grayish stool and he normally has 3 BMs a day....somedays more somedays maybe 2.

I know that's a LONG read but I'm stressing out SO much. My oldest 2 haven't had problems like this at all. My oldest had a 2-3 week stint on nebs at around 9 months of age and has a fairly chronic cough I think due to allergies but that's it. This is all new, foreign territory for us. There's no family history of CF that we know of and no major problems with asthma. Just a big history of food and environmental allergies. Basically I'm just wondering if I'm being too paranoid and nitpicking everything or if this sounds like it could very well be CF. From what I've read and what the Dr in the hospital said the genetic testing can miss alot so just b/c it came back normal doesn't rule it out completely? And what are your opinions about the repeat sweat tests? This boy just DOES NOT sweat....it's insane!! We wrap him up like an eskimo in the dead of winter and still nothing. Any tips to maybe help him sweat more? Any advice/opinions are more than appreciated! Thanks for reading all that jumbled mess....I hope it all made sense.

Demekadj

Demekadj

Demekadj

<br />
<br />He's due to see his pulmonogist again on Friday the 10th and is scheduled for yet another sweat test =(. The dr. basically said they would continue doing the sweat test until they get a result. I'm about dying in this limbo with no real answers. I feel like I'm in some Dr office or hospital every week. Both me and my husband work but he's not in daycare, my MIL watches him and I'm a nurse...I actually work for his pediatrician. And like I said earlier he rarely goes a day without having a little episode of congestion or wheezing, he has really bad eczema, and horrible smelling stools. He's currently on Similac Alimentum which I know will make stools alot smellier but until December he was breastfeed and still had stinky poos. His stools are mostly always like a dark green color and loose but he's had an occasional more formed yellow grayish stool and he normally has 3 BMs a day....somedays more somedays maybe 2.
<br />
<br />I know that's a LONG read but I'm stressing out SO much. My oldest 2 haven't had problems like this at all. My oldest had a 2-3 week stint on nebs at around 9 months of age and has a fairly chronic cough I think due to allergies but that's it. This is all new, foreign territory for us. There's no family history of CF that we know of and no major problems with asthma. Just a big history of food and environmental allergies. Basically I'm just wondering if I'm being too paranoid and nitpicking everything or if this sounds like it could very well be CF. From what I've read and what the Dr in the hospital said the genetic testing can miss alot so just b/c it came back normal doesn't rule it out completely? And what are your opinions about the repeat sweat tests? This boy just DOES NOT sweat....it's insane!! We wrap him up like an eskimo in the dead of winter and still nothing. Any tips to maybe help him sweat more? Any advice/opinions are more than appreciated! Thanks for reading all that jumbled mess....I hope it all made sense.

S

sdelorenzo

Hello. You have a few good things going. First of all the negative genetic testing. Also, I am only speaking about my two with cf, but they tend to sweat easily and always have. No, family history really doesn't matter. Most of us with kids with cf did not have family history. Do you know how many genes they tested him for? There are 1,000 of genes and some tests only look for 30 of the most common or so. But those 30 genes are 90% of the cases. My daughter also had bad eczema. What I didn't know then was that it was allergy related. She ended up having a milk allergy. If I were you, I would ask the pulmonologist to do a double gag sputum test to see if he is growing any bacteria in his throat. It is a simple test and most of the time our kids grow some form of bacteria in their throats while kids without cf do not. Also are you going to a cf center to get the sweat test? That is important. You can check by going to :
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CareCenterNetwork/CFFoundation-accreditedCareCenters/
">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ccreditedCareCenters/
</a>One trait our cf kids tend to have is that their skin on their hands and feet wrinkles up quickly in water. It would have been something you probably noticed by now. Drs don't tend to mention it. Hope you find some answers soon.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 7 and Jack, 5 both with cf, Grant, two months no cf

S

sdelorenzo

Hello. You have a few good things going. First of all the negative genetic testing. Also, I am only speaking about my two with cf, but they tend to sweat easily and always have. No, family history really doesn't matter. Most of us with kids with cf did not have family history. Do you know how many genes they tested him for? There are 1,000 of genes and some tests only look for 30 of the most common or so. But those 30 genes are 90% of the cases. My daughter also had bad eczema. What I didn't know then was that it was allergy related. She ended up having a milk allergy. If I were you, I would ask the pulmonologist to do a double gag sputum test to see if he is growing any bacteria in his throat. It is a simple test and most of the time our kids grow some form of bacteria in their throats while kids without cf do not. Also are you going to a cf center to get the sweat test? That is important. You can check by going to :
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CareCenterNetwork/CFFoundation-accreditedCareCenters/
</a>One trait our cf kids tend to have is that their skin on their hands and feet wrinkles up quickly in water. It would have been something you probably noticed by now. Drs don't tend to mention it. Hope you find some answers soon.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CareCenterNetwork/CFFoundation-accreditedCareCenters/
</a><br />One trait our cf kids tend to have is that their skin on their hands and feet wrinkles up quickly in water. It would have been something you probably noticed by now. Drs don't tend to mention it. Hope you find some answers soon.
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 7 and Jack, 5 both with cf, Grant, two months no cf
<br />

HOPEFORKYLIE

WELL, MY DAUGHTER WAS DIAGNOSED AT BIRTH. I'M VERY GREATFUL WE FOUND OUT EARLY SO WE COULD KEEP IT UNDER CONTROL. YOUR BABY'S SYMPTOMS SOUND VERY SIMILAR TO HERS. WE'VE BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL WITH PNEUMONIA TWICE AS WELL, ONCE FOR 4 DAYS, ONCE FOR 14 DAYS. WE'VE HAD THE ADVANTAGE OF KNOWING HER DIAGNOSIS AND HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ADJUST HER MEDICATIONS TO KEEP HER HEALTHY. SO IF IT COMES BACK POSITIVE FOR CF, JUST BE GLAD YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS. MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU. I KNOW HOW IT IS AS A MOTHER. MY WORLD IS MY CHILDREN AND I HATE THAT I CAN'T TAKE THE DISEASE AWAY. JUST BE STRONG FOR THAT BABY! CHERISH EVERY MOMENT. BE AGGRESSIVE WITH ANY TREATMENTS THE DOCTOR RECOMMENDS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR 7 MO OLD. KRISTIE

HOPEFORKYLIE

WELL, MY DAUGHTER WAS DIAGNOSED AT BIRTH. I'M VERY GREATFUL WE FOUND OUT EARLY SO WE COULD KEEP IT UNDER CONTROL. YOUR BABY'S SYMPTOMS SOUND VERY SIMILAR TO HERS. WE'VE BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL WITH PNEUMONIA TWICE AS WELL, ONCE FOR 4 DAYS, ONCE FOR 14 DAYS. WE'VE HAD THE ADVANTAGE OF KNOWING HER DIAGNOSIS AND HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ADJUST HER MEDICATIONS TO KEEP HER HEALTHY. SO IF IT COMES BACK POSITIVE FOR CF, JUST BE GLAD YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS. MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU. I KNOW HOW IT IS AS A MOTHER. MY WORLD IS MY CHILDREN AND I HATE THAT I CAN'T TAKE THE DISEASE AWAY. JUST BE STRONG FOR THAT BABY! CHERISH EVERY MOMENT. BE AGGRESSIVE WITH ANY TREATMENTS THE DOCTOR RECOMMENDS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR 7 MO OLD. KRISTIE

HOPEFORKYLIE

HOPEFORKYLIE

HOPEFORKYLIE

Demekadj

Thanks for the reply!

He is being followed by a pulmonologist at Children's Medical Center and I know they have a CF center but he hasn't been seen in the CF center yet.

I'm not sure if they did an expanded genetic screen or not. I know it took almost 3 weeks for the results, but I'll be sure and ask his pulmonogist at his appt. this week.

About the skin wrinkling. I haven't noticed that with him, but due to his severe eczema he takes very infrequent quick baths so I'm not sure that he gets the chance to get wrinkly?

We plan on having him allergy tested when he is old enough. He's already been switched to Similac Alimentum which is a hypoallergenic formula and it has helped his skin a little I suppose but it's really helped with his reflux more than anything. My MIL & SIL have multiple food allergies so I won't be suprised at all if he has allergies. We're already noticing that he doesn't do well with a few different baby foods so we're being cautious.

Demekadj

Thanks for the reply!

He is being followed by a pulmonologist at Children's Medical Center and I know they have a CF center but he hasn't been seen in the CF center yet.

I'm not sure if they did an expanded genetic screen or not. I know it took almost 3 weeks for the results, but I'll be sure and ask his pulmonogist at his appt. this week.

About the skin wrinkling. I haven't noticed that with him, but due to his severe eczema he takes very infrequent quick baths so I'm not sure that he gets the chance to get wrinkly?

We plan on having him allergy tested when he is old enough. He's already been switched to Similac Alimentum which is a hypoallergenic formula and it has helped his skin a little I suppose but it's really helped with his reflux more than anything. My MIL & SIL have multiple food allergies so I won't be suprised at all if he has allergies. We're already noticing that he doesn't do well with a few different baby foods so we're being cautious.

Demekadj

Thanks for the reply!

Demekadj

Thanks for the reply!

Demekadj

Thanks for the reply!
<br />
<br />He is being followed by a pulmonologist at Children's Medical Center and I know they have a CF center but he hasn't been seen in the CF center yet.
<br />
<br />I'm not sure if they did an expanded genetic screen or not. I know it took almost 3 weeks for the results, but I'll be sure and ask his pulmonogist at his appt. this week.
<br />
<br />About the skin wrinkling. I haven't noticed that with him, but due to his severe eczema he takes very infrequent quick baths so I'm not sure that he gets the chance to get wrinkly?
<br />
<br />We plan on having him allergy tested when he is old enough. He's already been switched to Similac Alimentum which is a hypoallergenic formula and it has helped his skin a little I suppose but it's really helped with his reflux more than anything. My MIL & SIL have multiple food allergies so I won't be suprised at all if he has allergies. We're already noticing that he doesn't do well with a few different baby foods so we're being cautious.