My wife and I are trying for a child

TerryR

<P>My wife and I are about to try for a child. We have recently found out that my wife is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis delta F508 mutation. I am a negative carrier for the common Cystic Fibrosis mutation but I have an interon 5T varient. Can anyone tell us or give us some idea on the possible outcome should we have a child together.</P>
<P>1. What is the likely hood of our future child being poorly at all as a percentage if possible ?</P>
<P>2. How severe is any effect likely to be on the childs health ?</P>
<P>£. Again as a percentage how many males are likely to carry a mutation or interon that would be likely to cause a complicatin when the other partner is a Carrier for Cystic Fibrosis delta F508 mutation.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Please help if you can, we are booked in for a consultation, but we would appreciate any help/advice that may be available before hand.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Many Thanks Terry</P>

TerryR

<P>My wife and I are about to try for a child. We have recently found out that my wife is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis delta F508 mutation. I am a negative carrier for the common Cystic Fibrosis mutation but I have an interon 5T varient. Can anyone tell us or give us some idea on the possible outcome should we have a child together.</P>
<P>1. What is the likely hood of our future child being poorly at all as a percentage if possible ?</P>
<P>£. Again as a percentage how many males are likely to carry a mutation or interon that would be likely to cause a complicatin when the other partner is a Carrier for Cystic Fibrosis delta F508 mutation.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Please help if you can, we are booked in for a consultation, but we would appreciate any help/advice that may be available before hand.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Many Thanks Terry</P>

TerryR

<P><BR>My wife and I are about to try for a child. We have recently found out that my wife is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis delta F508 mutation. I am a negative carrier for the common Cystic Fibrosis mutation but I have an interon 5T varient. Can anyone tell us or give us some idea on the possible outcome should we have a child together.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Many Thanks Terry</P>

Bexterdesigns

I agree with the other respondent-  talk to a genetic counselor.  My understanding is you don't need to have the same mutation as your spouse for your child to have CF, and basic high school genetics says a double recessive like CF means you have a 1 in 4 chance, but I am definitely not an expert.  My brother in law was a definite carrier, but we thought my sister was not, she tested negative.  When they had a child with CF they re-tested, and they found the mutation she had was only able to be tested for 2 years after she was screened.  Please talk to an expert, and good luck!

Bexterdesigns

I agree with the other respondent- talk to a genetic counselor. My understanding is you don't need to have the same mutation as your spouse for your child to have CF, and basic high school genetics says a double recessive like CF means you have a 1 in 4 chance, but I am definitely not an expert. My brother in law was a definite carrier, but we thought my sister was not, she tested negative. When they had a child with CF they re-tested, and they found the mutation she had was only able to be tested for 2 years after she was screened. Please talk to an expert, and good luck!

Bexterdesigns

I agree with the other respondent- talk to a genetic counselor. My understanding is you don't need to have the same mutation as your spouse for your child to have CF, and basic high school genetics says a double recessive like CF means you have a 1 in 4 chance, but I am definitely not an expert. My brother in law was a definite carrier, but we thought my sister was not, she tested negative. When they had a child with CF they re-tested, and they found the mutation she had was only able to be tested for 2 years after she was screened. Please talk to an expert, and good luck!

julie

No, you do NOT need to have the same mutations for your child to end up with CF. http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/Where_to_begin.html You have a 25% change of having a child with CF.

julie

No, you do NOT need to have the same mutations for your child to end up with CF. http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/Where_to_begin.html You have a 25% change of having a child with CF.