neb equipment

anonymous

How does everyone keep their equipment straight. We have Albuterol, Saline, TOBI, and Pulmonzyme. I have 4 different containers and can never keep them straight. I tried marking with a permanent marker, but every time I go to rinse them out after being used, it rubs off. I've been told to sterilize in hot boiling water once a week, so I can't put colored tape on them.

Carol

anonymous

How does everyone keep their equipment straight. We have Albuterol, Saline, TOBI, and Pulmonzyme. I have 4 different containers and can never keep them straight. I tried marking with a permanent marker, but every time I go to rinse them out after being used, it rubs off. I've been told to sterilize in hot boiling water once a week, so I can't put colored tape on them.

Carol

thelizardqueen

Can't one machine (nebulizer) be used for all the medications? Does it matter if you only use one so long as you're cleaning it after every use? I use the same neb for all of my medicins, because I simply wash them after every use. Should I be getting seperate nebs?

thelizardqueen

Can't one machine (nebulizer) be used for all the medications? Does it matter if you only use one so long as you're cleaning it after every use? I use the same neb for all of my medicins, because I simply wash them after every use. Should I be getting seperate nebs?

anonymous

I'm so new at this. My daughter was diagnosed at 10 years and that was two months ago. We have the one machine (nebulizer), but we're using a plastic holder thing that holds the medicine (I don't know what it's called) for each of the medicines. We already wake up at 5:30 am to get her ready for school and I'm rinsing them out after each use, but I'm rinsing out 3 containers each morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 3 at night. I've been sterilzing them once a week in boiling water. I just don't know how important it is for us to use the right containers.

anonymous

I'm so new at this. My daughter was diagnosed at 10 years and that was two months ago. We have the one machine (nebulizer), but we're using a plastic holder thing that holds the medicine (I don't know what it's called) for each of the medicines. We already wake up at 5:30 am to get her ready for school and I'm rinsing them out after each use, but I'm rinsing out 3 containers each morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 3 at night. I've been sterilzing them once a week in boiling water. I just don't know how important it is for us to use the right containers.

reillybug

From what I understand, Pulmozyme & Tobi should have their own separate nebs. No mixing. So, we have one for Reilly's Albuterol & Pulmicort, and another for the Pulmozyme (no Tobi yet). Then, I boil the cups every night.

reillybug

From what I understand, Pulmozyme & Tobi should have their own separate nebs. No mixing. So, we have one for Reilly's Albuterol & Pulmicort, and another for the Pulmozyme (no Tobi yet). Then, I boil the cups every night.

anonymous

tobi is really really sticky and can clog up the nebs. I asked about this before 'cuz we use three different neb cups and good old allan had the perfect solution. Take a pin and scratch the initial of the drug in the plastic, then take nail polish and paint over the area -- the nail polish sinks into the scratch and won't wear off as soon. Otherwise I was forever writing with magic marker on each neb part.

anonymous

tobi is really really sticky and can clog up the nebs. I asked about this before 'cuz we use three different neb cups and good old allan had the perfect solution. Take a pin and scratch the initial of the drug in the plastic, then take nail polish and paint over the area -- the nail polish sinks into the scratch and won't wear off as soon. Otherwise I was forever writing with magic marker on each neb part.

Kay

I have a seperate Neb set up for each medication, but I use the same compressor. I don't take too many at one time but instead of boiling them once a week I just use a whole new set up. I wash them out after each use and they are labled with either tape or just a marker, and then when it looks like they are really dirty I throw them out and start fresh. I know getting set ups can be hard so often when I am in the hospital my Mom will ask for a few that way we are fully stalked, and we also know some people who work in hospitals that will get us some set ups. It is easier to keep track this way I think, we tried that boiling thing but it got too complicated and just starting from fresh has made it a lot more organized.

Kay

I have a seperate Neb set up for each medication, but I use the same compressor. I don't take too many at one time but instead of boiling them once a week I just use a whole new set up. I wash them out after each use and they are labled with either tape or just a marker, and then when it looks like they are really dirty I throw them out and start fresh. I know getting set ups can be hard so often when I am in the hospital my Mom will ask for a few that way we are fully stalked, and we also know some people who work in hospitals that will get us some set ups. It is easier to keep track this way I think, we tried that boiling thing but it got too complicated and just starting from fresh has made it a lot more organized.

anonymous

I put masking tape on the bottom of each neb cup and label the tape with perm marker, ie. Tobi, Pulm for Pulmozyme and Xop for Xopenax. Then when I rinse them off after each use with hot water nothing rubs off or falls off. I do take the tape off when I boil them in hot water but I replace them every 3 months so I usually do not boil them that often. However, I do rinse after each use with really hot water. The Tobi does tend to stick and clog the neb so rinsing after each use solves the problem. Pain in the rear but does do the trick.

Jennifer 34 years old with CF and CFRD

anonymous

I put masking tape on the bottom of each neb cup and label the tape with perm marker, ie. Tobi, Pulm for Pulmozyme and Xop for Xopenax. Then when I rinse them off after each use with hot water nothing rubs off or falls off. I do take the tape off when I boil them in hot water but I replace them every 3 months so I usually do not boil them that often. However, I do rinse after each use with really hot water. The Tobi does tend to stick and clog the neb so rinsing after each use solves the problem. Pain in the rear but does do the trick.

Jennifer 34 years old with CF and CFRD

JazzysMom

I use my albeuterol, pulmicort & pulmozyme all in the same cup (NO....not at the same time...LOL) I use my Tobi & Colistin in a different one from the other meds although its the same for these two meds. I find the Tobi definitely leaves a residue which requires alot more attention when I rinse it out. I use to use different cups for all the meds & then I said screw that. LOL...I also combined my albeuterol & pulmicort. Should I? Dont know, never actually asked.

JazzysMom

I use my albeuterol, pulmicort & pulmozyme all in the same cup (NO....not at the same time...LOL) I use my Tobi & Colistin in a different one from the other meds although its the same for these two meds. I find the Tobi definitely leaves a residue which requires alot more attention when I rinse it out. I use to use different cups for all the meds & then I said screw that. LOL...I also combined my albeuterol & pulmicort. Should I? Dont know, never actually asked.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hi,

I have 2 boys who are each on three different nebs (all different cups). We scratch a line in the surface of the plastic parts with a serrated knife and color code each one with a sharpie. The sharpie will sink below the surface and won't wash off for a while.

The neb thing is a pain in the neck, but whatever works!
Jane

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hi,

I have 2 boys who are each on three different nebs (all different cups). We scratch a line in the surface of the plastic parts with a serrated knife and color code each one with a sharpie. The sharpie will sink below the surface and won't wash off for a while.

The neb thing is a pain in the neck, but whatever works!
Jane