Nebulizers v.s. inhalers?

letefk

Our clinic told us in the spring that we could switch our two girls to taking Xopenex (they did not respond well to Albuterol, so they take this instead) and Pulmicort via inhalers instead of by nebulizers. They told us that recent studies show they are as effective when used correctly.

So far, they have been doing well, and it sure is easier (the oldest can do it herself), but as fall and the start of cold and flu season approaches, I am getting a bit nervous.

I am curious how many of you use nebs v.s. inhalers for these meds, and if you have any perspective, either pro or con, on using either method. I should say that this switch happened at the same time we switched clinics, so I guess I am also curious if this was really just a matter of a different clinic's style, or if there really is a changing trend.

Thanks!

letefk

Our clinic told us in the spring that we could switch our two girls to taking Xopenex (they did not respond well to Albuterol, so they take this instead) and Pulmicort via inhalers instead of by nebulizers. They told us that recent studies show they are as effective when used correctly.

So far, they have been doing well, and it sure is easier (the oldest can do it herself), but as fall and the start of cold and flu season approaches, I am getting a bit nervous.

I am curious how many of you use nebs v.s. inhalers for these meds, and if you have any perspective, either pro or con, on using either method. I should say that this switch happened at the same time we switched clinics, so I guess I am also curious if this was really just a matter of a different clinic's style, or if there really is a changing trend.

Thanks!

letefk

Thanks!

letefk

Thanks!

letefk

<br />
<br />So far, they have been doing well, and it sure is easier (the oldest can do it herself), but as fall and the start of cold and flu season approaches, I am getting a bit nervous.
<br />
<br />I am curious how many of you use nebs v.s. inhalers for these meds, and if you have any perspective, either pro or con, on using either method. I should say that this switch happened at the same time we switched clinics, so I guess I am also curious if this was really just a matter of a different clinic's style, or if there really is a changing trend.
<br />
<br />Thanks!

grassisgreener

I haven't heard of very many using inhalers, but maybe it is new. Maybe you should check with your previous clinic for a second opinion.

grassisgreener

I haven't heard of very many using inhalers, but maybe it is new. Maybe you should check with your previous clinic for a second opinion.

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We still use nebulized duoneb, though I know of families who go to the other clinic in the City have switched to inhalers for albuterol.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We still use nebulized duoneb, though I know of families who go to the other clinic in the City have switched to inhalers for albuterol.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Buckeye

Someone on another forum had posted some info they received from the recent CFRI conference in California and it was mentioned that doctors were starting to recommend inhalers with spacers instead of nebulizers more often now. It cuts down on treatment times and was just as effective as the nebulizers.

Buckeye

Someone on another forum had posted some info they received from the recent CFRI conference in California and it was mentioned that doctors were starting to recommend inhalers with spacers instead of nebulizers more often now. It cuts down on treatment times and was just as effective as the nebulizers.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye