Need help reading my PFT's

tara

Hi Sarah,

What kind of questions did you have regarding that PFT print out?

When most CFers refer to their "lung capacity" they are referring to their FEV1. The FEV1 stands for Forced Expiratory Volume and the "1" means during the first second of expiration.

So when you're doing the test you usually take two normal breaths in and out. Then you take a big deep breath in and BLAST it out into the machine for at least 6 seconds. During the first second the volume of air you "blasted" out is measured and that is your FEV1.

Based on these results your FEV1 is predicted to be 3.26 Liters. This number is determined by your age, sex and height. So a girl your size with "normal" lung function should have an FEV1 of 3.26 Liters. Yours was more than that. Your FEV1 was 3.96 Liters or 121% of normal (3.96L/3.26L)

Does that help?

tara

Hi Sarah,

When most CFers refer to their "lung capacity" they are referring to their FEV1. The FEV1 stands for Forced Expiratory Volume and the "1" means during the first second of expiration.

So when you're doing the test you usually take two normal breaths in and out. Then you take a big deep breath in and BLAST it out into the machine for at least 6 seconds. During the first second the volume of air you "blasted" out is measured and that is your FEV1.

Based on these results your FEV1 is predicted to be 3.26 Liters. This number is determined by your age, sex and height. So a girl your size with "normal" lung function should have an FEV1 of 3.26 Liters. Yours was more than that. Your FEV1 was 3.96 Liters or 121% of normal (3.96L/3.26L)

Does that help?

tara

Hi Sarah,

Does that help?

tara

Hi Sarah,

Does that help?

tara

Hi Sarah,
<br />
<br />What kind of questions did you have regarding that PFT print out?
<br />
<br />When most CFers refer to their "lung capacity" they are referring to their FEV1. The FEV1 stands for Forced Expiratory Volume and the "1" means during the first second of expiration.
<br />
<br />So when you're doing the test you usually take two normal breaths in and out. Then you take a big deep breath in and BLAST it out into the machine for at least 6 seconds. During the first second the volume of air you "blasted" out is measured and that is your FEV1.
<br />
<br />Based on these results your FEV1 is predicted to be 3.26 Liters. This number is determined by your age, sex and height. So a girl your size with "normal" lung function should have an FEV1 of 3.26 Liters. Yours was more than that. Your FEV1 was 3.96 Liters or 121% of normal (3.96L/3.26L)
<br />
<br />Does that help?

etabetac

What I notice from looking at parts we normally don't look at is:
-You have no airtrapping according to your FVC and your SVC
-If you have decreased surface area in your lungs, it's minimal, as measured by DLCO
-You breathe better than people your age and height overall
-You don't have evidence of any obstructive respiratory disease

etabetac

-If you have decreased surface area in your lungs, it's minimal, as measured by DLCO

etabetac

etabetac

etabetac

<br />-You have no airtrapping according to your FVC and your SVC
<br />-If you have decreased surface area in your lungs, it's minimal, as measured by DLCO
<br />-You breathe better than people your age and height overall
<br />-You don't have evidence of any obstructive respiratory disease

miesl

A drop from 100+ to 45 should have landed you square in the hospital for IVs. If it hasn't, there's a serious problem.

miesl

A drop from 100+ to 45 should have landed you square in the hospital for IVs. If it hasn't, there's a serious problem.

miesl

miesl

miesl

C

cfsucks

I am confused... when were these PFT's taken? Did you drop from 120% to 45% that fast?

C

cfsucks

I am confused... when were these PFT's taken? Did you drop from 120% to 45% that fast?

C

cfsucks

C

cfsucks

C

cfsucks