***Need your opinion about telling child he has CF***

soccerkels2010

I think you should deffinatly tell him. I no for me it was a lot easier because my parents just answered anything i asked about it so it wasnt just all of a sudden, I would get bits and pieces of it as i grew up.

You should also tell his teachers just incase something happens but deffinatly dont make it sound like it a big deal cause when teachers thought its a huge deal they tended to baby me and they probably thought "o poor kid she has to go through all that, i should go easy on her!" and then they think i cant do anything! it gets really anoying!

anyway, its scary but if you wait to tell him its just going to make it harder for him to accept it

soccerkels2010

I think you should deffinatly tell him. I no for me it was a lot easier because my parents just answered anything i asked about it so it wasnt just all of a sudden, I would get bits and pieces of it as i grew up.

You should also tell his teachers just incase something happens but deffinatly dont make it sound like it a big deal cause when teachers thought its a huge deal they tended to baby me and they probably thought "o poor kid she has to go through all that, i should go easy on her!" and then they think i cant do anything! it gets really anoying!

anyway, its scary but if you wait to tell him its just going to make it harder for him to accept it

soccerkels2010

soccerkels2010

soccerkels2010

<br />
<br />You should also tell his teachers just incase something happens but deffinatly dont make it sound like it a big deal cause when teachers thought its a huge deal they tended to baby me and they probably thought "o poor kid she has to go through all that, i should go easy on her!" and then they think i cant do anything! it gets really anoying!
<br />
<br />anyway, its scary but if you wait to tell him its just going to make it harder for him to accept it

T

theDUDE

i learned about all the bad things on my own. DO LET THAT HAPPEN!!!! He is only 5, so i wouldnt say anything to negative, say something like he has "sensitive lungs" or just tell him the treatments will help him later on in life.

If it were up to me, i would tell him at about age 12 all of the details and what he needs to do to stay healthy

T

theDUDE

i learned about all the bad things on my own. DO LET THAT HAPPEN!!!! He is only 5, so i wouldnt say anything to negative, say something like he has "sensitive lungs" or just tell him the treatments will help him later on in life.

If it were up to me, i would tell him at about age 12 all of the details and what he needs to do to stay healthy

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

<br />
<br />If it were up to me, i would tell him at about age 12 all of the details and what he needs to do to stay healthy

bananagirl

I don't ever remember not knowing i had CF and i don't really remember anyone telling me that i probably wont live as long as other people, i just sort of always new. I think you should tell him he has cf because he should know but i don't think you should make a big deal out of it that way he wont feel like he is different from everyone else. like for me i never really thought about how other kids dont have to take meds at school and do treatments each night. And i think it helps to think of yourself as the same as everyone else. if he just grows up always knowing he had cf it will just be normal to him. About the life expectancy thing i think you should maybe tell him just that he might not live as long as other people but that everyone dies someday and leave it at that and not talk about it again unless he asks because if you talk about it a lot he might worry a lot about how long he will live and there is no reason to. Just because he has cf doesn't mean he wont live long and just because someone doesn't have cf doesn't mean their life wont be short.

bananagirl

I don't ever remember not knowing i had CF and i don't really remember anyone telling me that i probably wont live as long as other people, i just sort of always new. I think you should tell him he has cf because he should know but i don't think you should make a big deal out of it that way he wont feel like he is different from everyone else. like for me i never really thought about how other kids dont have to take meds at school and do treatments each night. And i think it helps to think of yourself as the same as everyone else. if he just grows up always knowing he had cf it will just be normal to him. About the life expectancy thing i think you should maybe tell him just that he might not live as long as other people but that everyone dies someday and leave it at that and not talk about it again unless he asks because if you talk about it a lot he might worry a lot about how long he will live and there is no reason to. Just because he has cf doesn't mean he wont live long and just because someone doesn't have cf doesn't mean their life wont be short.

bananagirl

bananagirl

bananagirl

laulau555

I was diagnosed when I was 3. I remember going and having the sweat test, but I honestly don't ever remember them telling me I had CF, it was just always common knowledge to me. I knew I took my pills because I had cf, i coughed because I had cf, i got chest pt because I had cf. It was sort of common knowledge that my life may be shortened because of it, but my parents NEVER presented it in a negative way, thats important. However I didn't know the statistics about it until 5th grade when I did a research project and my mom sat me down and said "You might see that its chronic and life-threatening, but we can hope for a cure and things are getting better every day" At this point I sort of knew this stuff, but it was never discussed with my parents.

My parents were always straight with me about everything though. The best you can do is make him aware of it, because sooner or later he's going to find out. Plus, if he's only 5, he's probably not going to remember the "trauma" of you actually using the word Cystic Fibrosis later down the road. As long as you don't put it in a negative light, he should just nod and accept it. Saying things like "your lungs don't work as well as others" or "cf makes you cough and this helps to make it better" then he will understand as best he can.

laulau555

I was diagnosed when I was 3. I remember going and having the sweat test, but I honestly don't ever remember them telling me I had CF, it was just always common knowledge to me. I knew I took my pills because I had cf, i coughed because I had cf, i got chest pt because I had cf. It was sort of common knowledge that my life may be shortened because of it, but my parents NEVER presented it in a negative way, thats important. However I didn't know the statistics about it until 5th grade when I did a research project and my mom sat me down and said "You might see that its chronic and life-threatening, but we can hope for a cure and things are getting better every day" At this point I sort of knew this stuff, but it was never discussed with my parents.

My parents were always straight with me about everything though. The best you can do is make him aware of it, because sooner or later he's going to find out. Plus, if he's only 5, he's probably not going to remember the "trauma" of you actually using the word Cystic Fibrosis later down the road. As long as you don't put it in a negative light, he should just nod and accept it. Saying things like "your lungs don't work as well as others" or "cf makes you cough and this helps to make it better" then he will understand as best he can.

laulau555

laulau555

laulau555

<br />
<br />My parents were always straight with me about everything though. The best you can do is make him aware of it, because sooner or later he's going to find out. Plus, if he's only 5, he's probably not going to remember the "trauma" of you actually using the word Cystic Fibrosis later down the road. As long as you don't put it in a negative light, he should just nod and accept it. Saying things like "your lungs don't work as well as others" or "cf makes you cough and this helps to make it better" then he will understand as best he can.
<br />