Needs to gain weight

humphrey711

I am sure this has been on here a ton but I am hoping y'all will forgive me for posting again.  I need suggestions on how to get my kiddo to gain weight.  She loves anything with syrup but is not into shakes or fast food.  In fact sh hardly wants to eat at all.  We are probably going on an app. stim at the next appointment so I am sure that will help.   Any good recipes or other tricks are greatly appreciated.   Thanks!!!<br>

humphrey711

I am sure this has been on here a ton but I am hoping y'all will forgive me for posting again. I need suggestions on how to get my kiddo to gain weight. She loves anything with syrup but is not into shakes or fast food. In fact sh hardly wants to eat at all. We are probably going on an app. stim at the next appointment so I am sure that will help. Any good recipes or other tricks are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!<br>

humphrey711

<p>I am sure this has been on here a ton but I am hoping y'all will forgive me for posting again. I need suggestions on how to get my kiddo to gain weight. She loves anything with syrup but is not into shakes or fast food. In fact sh hardly wants to eat at all. We are probably going on an app. stim at the next appointment so I am sure that will help. <p><p>Any good recipes or other tricks are greatly appreciated. <p><p>Thanks!!!<br>

ymikhale

have you tried coconut oil? I had great result with it, it is digested more easily than other oils. I don't have any advice on recipes since I am not in the US, but IMO whatever you do, try to keep her diet as healthy as possible.

ymikhale

have you tried coconut oil? I had great result with it, it is digested more easily than other oils. I don't have any advice on recipes since I am not in the US, but IMO whatever you do, try to keep her diet as healthy as possible.

ymikhale

Hardak

Might want to look into polycose (I've got it spelled wrong but the sounds is right.). If she is following the height weight curve but just lagging I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was ALWAYS behind but following the curve for height weight as a kid. I've always had issues my self of simply not hungry, so weight gain has always been an issue. High sugar snacks aren't as bad as you might think more so if she is being active. The body will burn off blood sugar's first be-for it wants to convert any fats over to blood sugar. You may also want to consider her stomic is simply full of acid. In my late teens I went on my first pill long term use antacid, first effect it had was my appetite came up. catioring to her tastes may simply be what it takes.

Hardak

Might want to look into polycose (I've got it spelled wrong but the sounds is right.). If she is following the height weight curve but just lagging I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was ALWAYS behind but following the curve for height weight as a kid. I've always had issues my self of simply not hungry, so weight gain has always been an issue. High sugar snacks aren't as bad as you might think more so if she is being active. The body will burn off blood sugar's first be-for it wants to convert any fats over to blood sugar. You may also want to consider her stomic is simply full of acid. In my late teens I went on my first pill long term use antacid, first effect it had was my appetite came up. catioring to her tastes may simply be what it takes.

Hardak

MOMTOGIRL2005

I feel your pain. My 6 year old daughter had her CF yearly appt. yesterday and she is 18% percentile. We have the same issues, no appetite, no interest in food at all. We tried an appetite stimulant (forgot the name) but made her irritable and sleepy. You might want to ask your doctor about an appetite stimulant and hopefully Belle won't have the side effect my daughter had. We add oil, butter, cream to her meals. We give her Carnation VHC and still won't work to gain just maintain. She is maybe 2 inches taller than last year. Her dad is 6'3. She is very skinny I don't know what else to do. Sorry I don't have any advice. Looking for help too.

MOMTOGIRL2005

I feel your pain. My 6 year old daughter had her CF yearly appt. yesterday and she is 18% percentile. We have the same issues, no appetite, no interest in food at all. We tried an appetite stimulant (forgot the name) but made her irritable and sleepy. You might want to ask your doctor about an appetite stimulant and hopefully Belle won't have the side effect my daughter had. We add oil, butter, cream to her meals. We give her Carnation VHC and still won't work to gain just maintain. She is maybe 2 inches taller than last year. Her dad is 6'3. She is very skinny I don't know what else to do. Sorry I don't have any advice. Looking for help too.

MOMTOGIRL2005

kitomd21

DD has very little appetite and a very strong gag reflex. She'll munch on chips or french fries...lettuce with dressing...crackers. Nothing of substantial amount. In fact, most of her calories come from Pediasure. She drinks Pediasure three times a day and snacks on whatever else. She drinks about 9 oz of Pediasure three times a day for a total of 1500 calories. We struggled with her weight for a while but have currently are doing well with her weight. Two years ago she was in the 5-11% weight to length percentage and now she's more like 80%.

kitomd21

DD has very little appetite and a very strong gag reflex. She'll munch on chips or french fries...lettuce with dressing...crackers. Nothing of substantial amount. In fact, most of her calories come from Pediasure. She drinks Pediasure three times a day and snacks on whatever else. She drinks about 9 oz of Pediasure three times a day for a total of 1500 calories. We struggled with her weight for a while but have currently are doing well with her weight. Two years ago she was in the 5-11% weight to length percentage and now she's more like 80%.

kitomd21

Smile769

I would definitely ask your doctor about an appetite stimulant. I personall have always had trouble gaining and maintaining weight. I have a g-tube so that helps. After struggling for two years to even put on 5 lbs I tried Megace ES. It come in a liquid form. In 3 months I gained 25 pounds. It had some side effects such as "moon face". Some CF doctors are cautious to use it because it can effect your blood sugars, however, I had no problem with it. I think the shorter amount of time you stay on the less side effects you will see. Theres also another appetite stimulant called Marinol. I had no success with it, however I know other people have. Best of luck!

Smile769

I would definitely ask your doctor about an appetite stimulant. I personall have always had trouble gaining and maintaining weight. I have a g-tube so that helps. After struggling for two years to even put on 5 lbs I tried Megace ES. It come in a liquid form. In 3 months I gained 25 pounds. It had some side effects such as "moon face". Some CF doctors are cautious to use it because it can effect your blood sugars, however, I had no problem with it. I think the shorter amount of time you stay on the less side effects you will see. Theres also another appetite stimulant called Marinol. I had no success with it, however I know other people have. Best of luck!

Smile769

kitomd21

Sorry - the rest of my post didn't appear...
<br>
<br>Here's what we do -
<br>
<br>- Duocal instead of Polycose. Duocal is supposed to be better than Polycose per DD's dietician. Polycose is more sugar while Duocal is comprised of easily absorbed/digested carbs (still sugar, but better form).
<br>- Pediasure 1.5 (300 cals per 8oz)
<br>- Miralax daily
<br>- Enfagrow vanilla toddler formula added to Pediasure
<br>- ZENPEP!!! This may be the most important change for DD. She did horribly on Creon. She didn't gain well while taking Pacrease either.
<br>
<br>

kitomd21

Sorry - the rest of my post didn't appear...
<br>
<br>Here's what we do -
<br>
<br>- Duocal instead of Polycose. Duocal is supposed to be better than Polycose per DD's dietician. Polycose is more sugar while Duocal is comprised of easily absorbed/digested carbs (still sugar, but better form).
<br>- Pediasure 1.5 (300 cals per 8oz)
<br>- Miralax daily
<br>- Enfagrow vanilla toddler formula added to Pediasure
<br>- ZENPEP!!! This may be the most important change for DD. She did horribly on Creon. She didn't gain well while taking Pacrease either.
<br>
<br>