New CF Parent

MargaritaChic

Someone else had a thread about foods that you might be interested in: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=32101&enterthread=y">Favorite High Calorie Foods</a>

My daughter is only 7 months old so we are just starting on foods, but we have been told to give her fatty higher calories foods. We have not been told to avoid anything (except the normal things you would avoid with a baby.)

MargaritaChic

Someone else had a thread about foods that you might be interested in: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=32101&enterthread=y">Favorite High Calorie Foods</a>

My daughter is only 7 months old so we are just starting on foods, but we have been told to give her fatty higher calories foods. We have not been told to avoid anything (except the normal things you would avoid with a baby.)

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />
<br />My daughter is only 7 months old so we are just starting on foods, but we have been told to give her fatty higher calories foods. We have not been told to avoid anything (except the normal things you would avoid with a baby.)

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was that age, we fed him a lot of whole milk yogurt. Lately I've been able to get him a strained greek style yogurt. A container is about 270 calories with lots of fat. Dangerous stuff for me 'cuz it's soooo tasty and I don't NEED those extra calories.

He also liked spagettios and I'd add olive oil to them. We'd sneak olive oil, butter, cream into his foods.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was that age, we fed him a lot of whole milk yogurt. Lately I've been able to get him a strained greek style yogurt. A container is about 270 calories with lots of fat. Dangerous stuff for me 'cuz it's soooo tasty and I don't NEED those extra calories.

He also liked spagettios and I'd add olive oil to them. We'd sneak olive oil, butter, cream into his foods.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />He also liked spagettios and I'd add olive oil to them. We'd sneak olive oil, butter, cream into his foods.

Chilemom

For me the most difficult thing was to break all the concepts in my mind about a healthy nutrition for a infant. While all moms are looking for fat free food, I last hours in the supermarket looking high calories.
Other thing to do is to learn to "read" the pooh, and to deal with the enzymes.
about meals, what i forget to tell you before is to put a bit of salt in every meal, and if it is to hoy, you should put more. And always have a juice for him, so he can drink all whta he wants all time.
every week i give diferent things, depends in what is less expensive.
i only avoid sea-food (but i give her salom once a week is very unexpensive where i live), sausage and all sort of coke,etc, but like any other infant.
i really recommend you the legume, try first without the skin, sometimes you can find legume like beens without skin in the market, if not after cooking eat mash it.
and take advantage of the dessert to put a lot of calories: bananas (lot of calories) with condensed milk or honey like dessert, grate with grate coco nut and condensed milk (i am gaining weight as well).
and raisin i always have in a place where she can take all what she wants (each one is 3 calories). I think (but i am not sure) that raisin dosen´t need enzymes, i never give to her enzymes to eat it beacause it is a fruit,but ask a doctor about that.
hope i can help you, but be patient, and your boy is like any other boy but , in this subject, he is lucky he can eat as much as he want.

Chilemom

For me the most difficult thing was to break all the concepts in my mind about a healthy nutrition for a infant. While all moms are looking for fat free food, I last hours in the supermarket looking high calories.
about meals, what i forget to tell you before is to put a bit of salt in every meal, and if it is to hoy, you should put more. And always have a juice for him, so he can drink all whta he wants all time.
i only avoid sea-food (but i give her salom once a week is very unexpensive where i live), sausage and all sort of coke,etc, but like any other infant.
i really recommend you the legume, try first without the skin, sometimes you can find legume like beens without skin in the market, if not after cooking eat mash it.
and take advantage of the dessert to put a lot of calories: bananas (lot of calories) with condensed milk or honey like dessert, grate with grate coco nut and condensed milk (i am gaining weight as well).
and raisin i always have in a place where she can take all what she wants (each one is 3 calories). I think (but i am not sure) that raisin dosen´t need enzymes, i never give to her enzymes to eat it beacause it is a fruit,but ask a doctor about that.
hope i can help you, but be patient, and your boy is like any other boy but , in this subject, he is lucky he can eat as much as he want.

Chilemom

Chilemom

Chilemom

<br />Other thing to do is to learn to "read" the pooh, and to deal with the enzymes.
<br />about meals, what i forget to tell you before is to put a bit of salt in every meal, and if it is to hoy, you should put more. And always have a juice for him, so he can drink all whta he wants all time.
<br />every week i give diferent things, depends in what is less expensive.
<br />i only avoid sea-food (but i give her salom once a week is very unexpensive where i live), sausage and all sort of coke,etc, but like any other infant.
<br />i really recommend you the legume, try first without the skin, sometimes you can find legume like beens without skin in the market, if not after cooking eat mash it.
<br />and take advantage of the dessert to put a lot of calories: bananas (lot of calories) with condensed milk or honey like dessert, grate with grate coco nut and condensed milk (i am gaining weight as well).
<br />and raisin i always have in a place where she can take all what she wants (each one is 3 calories). I think (but i am not sure) that raisin dosen´t need enzymes, i never give to her enzymes to eat it beacause it is a fruit,but ask a doctor about that.
<br />hope i can help you, but be patient, and your boy is like any other boy but , in this subject, he is lucky he can eat as much as he want.

M

Mommafirst

Hi and welcome!!

HOnestly, I've never heard of avoiding salt and dairy for CF kids. In fact we are supposed to add salt to everything my daughter gets, especially in the summer. They told us to even put it in her formula/milk when she was younger. She is 2 now. Foods that get us through...

Cereal (honey nut cheerios are her favs) with heavy cream instead of milk.
Homemade mac n'cheese
Grilled cheese sandwiches (lots of butter on the outside)
Peanut butter and crackers
Yogurt
Soups (I add cheese and heavy cream to add calories)
I add olive oil or butter to most everything she eats.
I try to steer clear of any sugary snacks that don't have many calories and push her towards snacks that have more substance to them. She loves tortilla chips with cheese and salsa.
My daughter really loves salad, so I try to fill it with things like avacado and olives.
My daughter also drinks two to three pediasure a day -- its super expensive, so you might consider using Carnation Instant Breakfast instead, and then you can add LOT of calories with some heavy cream instead of all milk.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the site. I'm sorry I have to welcome you to the world of CF, but I'm sure that you were chosen to foster this particular boy because you are a very special mom.

M

Mommafirst

Hi and welcome!!

HOnestly, I've never heard of avoiding salt and dairy for CF kids. In fact we are supposed to add salt to everything my daughter gets, especially in the summer. They told us to even put it in her formula/milk when she was younger. She is 2 now. Foods that get us through...

Homemade mac n'cheese
Yogurt
I try to steer clear of any sugary snacks that don't have many calories and push her towards snacks that have more substance to them. She loves tortilla chips with cheese and salsa.
My daughter really loves salad, so I try to fill it with things like avacado and olives.
My daughter also drinks two to three pediasure a day -- its super expensive, so you might consider using Carnation Instant Breakfast instead, and then you can add LOT of calories with some heavy cream instead of all milk.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the site. I'm sorry I have to welcome you to the world of CF, but I'm sure that you were chosen to foster this particular boy because you are a very special mom.

M

Mommafirst

Hi and welcome!!

Homemade mac n'cheese
Yogurt

M

Mommafirst

Hi and welcome!!

Homemade mac n'cheese
Yogurt

M

Mommafirst

Hi and welcome!!
<br />
<br />HOnestly, I've never heard of avoiding salt and dairy for CF kids. In fact we are supposed to add salt to everything my daughter gets, especially in the summer. They told us to even put it in her formula/milk when she was younger. She is 2 now. Foods that get us through...
<br />
<br />Cereal (honey nut cheerios are her favs) with heavy cream instead of milk.
<br />Homemade mac n'cheese
<br />Grilled cheese sandwiches (lots of butter on the outside)
<br />Peanut butter and crackers
<br />Yogurt
<br />Soups (I add cheese and heavy cream to add calories)
<br />I add olive oil or butter to most everything she eats.
<br />I try to steer clear of any sugary snacks that don't have many calories and push her towards snacks that have more substance to them. She loves tortilla chips with cheese and salsa.
<br />My daughter really loves salad, so I try to fill it with things like avacado and olives.
<br />My daughter also drinks two to three pediasure a day -- its super expensive, so you might consider using Carnation Instant Breakfast instead, and then you can add LOT of calories with some heavy cream instead of all milk.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps. Welcome to the site. I'm sorry I have to welcome you to the world of CF, but I'm sure that you were chosen to foster this particular boy because you are a very special mom.