New drugs coming to market in 2008

catalinaohara

I am supposed to start on it as soon as I culture pseudamonas. I know, sounds weird. I've cultured it since I was 7, I am 24 now. My last culture didn't grow it-- a fluke, it happens once in a while, but I can't be admitted to the study until it does.

Anyone else on it and/or liking it?

I have cepacia so I think I'll be one of the first at least in my hosp. of the cepacia patients to go on it.

Caitlin

catalinaohara

I am supposed to start on it as soon as I culture pseudamonas. I know, sounds weird. I've cultured it since I was 7, I am 24 now. My last culture didn't grow it-- a fluke, it happens once in a while, but I can't be admitted to the study until it does.

I have cepacia so I think I'll be one of the first at least in my hosp. of the cepacia patients to go on it.

Caitlin

catalinaohara

Caitlin

catalinaohara

Caitlin

catalinaohara

<br />
<br />Anyone else on it and/or liking it?
<br />
<br />I have cepacia so I think I'll be one of the first at least in my hosp. of the cepacia patients to go on it.
<br />
<br />Caitlin

kmaried

Hi guys,

I took part in the clinical trial for AI. First in the blind study (I could have been getting a placebo), and then in the open enrollment (where I knew I was getting the drug).

As part of my history, I was usually on IV abx 2-3 times per year. I did the AI on my off months of Tobi for about a year and a half. I went almost two years without IV abx! I wasn't sure that I could credit the AI alone for my progress though, since I had also started hypertonic saline, gotten control of my blood sugar, started taking something for my hyperthyroidism, etc... during those two years.

Then - AI was bought by Gilead who is self-insured. I can no longer be on open enrollment (get the drug) because my hospital won't sign the contract with Gilead since they consider self-insurance inadequate to cover myself and the hospital.

Since I've been off of AI I haven't been able to stay off oral antibiotics for more than a week, and I'm trying really hard not to do IV again so soon. I think for me, having something to take in the Tobi off-months REALLY helps. I've done colistin before but that didn't do much for me. I really can't wait for this drug to be approved. When enrolled in the blind study, you could either have placebo or drug, and two or three times a day -- I was doing the AI three times per day, but it only took 2-3 minutes per dose.

As a side note, they're doing clinical trials now for Cipro and Levo, too, starting in the Spring. I got excited about participating in those (again, still on a quest to do something during my Tobi off months) and was really disappointed to hear that those trials require you to stop Tobi while you participate in them.

Kris

kmaried

Hi guys,

I took part in the clinical trial for AI. First in the blind study (I could have been getting a placebo), and then in the open enrollment (where I knew I was getting the drug).

As part of my history, I was usually on IV abx 2-3 times per year. I did the AI on my off months of Tobi for about a year and a half. I went almost two years without IV abx! I wasn't sure that I could credit the AI alone for my progress though, since I had also started hypertonic saline, gotten control of my blood sugar, started taking something for my hyperthyroidism, etc... during those two years.

Then - AI was bought by Gilead who is self-insured. I can no longer be on open enrollment (get the drug) because my hospital won't sign the contract with Gilead since they consider self-insurance inadequate to cover myself and the hospital.

Since I've been off of AI I haven't been able to stay off oral antibiotics for more than a week, and I'm trying really hard not to do IV again so soon. I think for me, having something to take in the Tobi off-months REALLY helps. I've done colistin before but that didn't do much for me. I really can't wait for this drug to be approved. When enrolled in the blind study, you could either have placebo or drug, and two or three times a day -- I was doing the AI three times per day, but it only took 2-3 minutes per dose.

As a side note, they're doing clinical trials now for Cipro and Levo, too, starting in the Spring. I got excited about participating in those (again, still on a quest to do something during my Tobi off months) and was really disappointed to hear that those trials require you to stop Tobi while you participate in them.

Kris

kmaried

Hi guys,

Kris

kmaried

Hi guys,

Kris

kmaried

Hi guys,
<br />
<br />I took part in the clinical trial for AI. First in the blind study (I could have been getting a placebo), and then in the open enrollment (where I knew I was getting the drug).
<br />
<br />As part of my history, I was usually on IV abx 2-3 times per year. I did the AI on my off months of Tobi for about a year and a half. I went almost two years without IV abx! I wasn't sure that I could credit the AI alone for my progress though, since I had also started hypertonic saline, gotten control of my blood sugar, started taking something for my hyperthyroidism, etc... during those two years.
<br />
<br />Then - AI was bought by Gilead who is self-insured. I can no longer be on open enrollment (get the drug) because my hospital won't sign the contract with Gilead since they consider self-insurance inadequate to cover myself and the hospital.
<br />
<br />Since I've been off of AI I haven't been able to stay off oral antibiotics for more than a week, and I'm trying really hard not to do IV again so soon. I think for me, having something to take in the Tobi off-months REALLY helps. I've done colistin before but that didn't do much for me. I really can't wait for this drug to be approved. When enrolled in the blind study, you could either have placebo or drug, and two or three times a day -- I was doing the AI three times per day, but it only took 2-3 minutes per dose.
<br />
<br />As a side note, they're doing clinical trials now for Cipro and Levo, too, starting in the Spring. I got excited about participating in those (again, still on a quest to do something during my Tobi off months) and was really disappointed to hear that those trials require you to stop Tobi while you participate in them.
<br />
<br />Kris

catalinaohara

Kris,

Do you have cepacia? My guess is no. Just wondering if anyone out there had tried it who had cepacia. I have heard good things too and I am hoping I'll like it.

How did it make you feel? right now I do inhaled cephtaz and really count on how it makes me feel right then-- it helps me bring stuff up, etc. I think part of this has to do with the 15-20 minutes that it takes to go in, so I was wondering how it would feel to take the drug so fast....

-caitlin

catalinaohara

Kris,

Do you have cepacia? My guess is no. Just wondering if anyone out there had tried it who had cepacia. I have heard good things too and I am hoping I'll like it.

How did it make you feel? right now I do inhaled cephtaz and really count on how it makes me feel right then-- it helps me bring stuff up, etc. I think part of this has to do with the 15-20 minutes that it takes to go in, so I was wondering how it would feel to take the drug so fast....

-caitlin

catalinaohara

Kris,

-caitlin

catalinaohara

Kris,

-caitlin

catalinaohara

Kris,
<br />
<br />Do you have cepacia? My guess is no. Just wondering if anyone out there had tried it who had cepacia. I have heard good things too and I am hoping I'll like it.
<br />
<br />How did it make you feel? right now I do inhaled cephtaz and really count on how it makes me feel right then-- it helps me bring stuff up, etc. I think part of this has to do with the 15-20 minutes that it takes to go in, so I was wondering how it would feel to take the drug so fast....
<br />
<br />-caitlin

kmaried

Hi Catalina,

I don't have cepacia. I have mucoid pseudo, maltophilia, and usually a bit of staph going on. I know what you mean about making you feel good right when you do it. Tobi makes me feel good when I do it, but that takes 20 minutes. The AI didn't make me feel good when I did it. In fact, it made me cough more directly after - so I didn't enjoy it. BUT it kept me IV free for 2 years, and increased my fev1... so the slight bronchospasms directly following were more than worth it. I really miss it!

kris

kmaried

Hi Catalina,

I don't have cepacia. I have mucoid pseudo, maltophilia, and usually a bit of staph going on. I know what you mean about making you feel good right when you do it. Tobi makes me feel good when I do it, but that takes 20 minutes. The AI didn't make me feel good when I did it. In fact, it made me cough more directly after - so I didn't enjoy it. BUT it kept me IV free for 2 years, and increased my fev1... so the slight bronchospasms directly following were more than worth it. I really miss it!

kris

kmaried

Hi Catalina,

kris

kmaried

Hi Catalina,

kris

kmaried

Hi Catalina,
<br />
<br />I don't have cepacia. I have mucoid pseudo, maltophilia, and usually a bit of staph going on. I know what you mean about making you feel good right when you do it. Tobi makes me feel good when I do it, but that takes 20 minutes. The AI didn't make me feel good when I did it. In fact, it made me cough more directly after - so I didn't enjoy it. BUT it kept me IV free for 2 years, and increased my fev1... so the slight bronchospasms directly following were more than worth it. I really miss it!
<br />
<br />kris
<br />
<br />