New Member- mom of 2 kids with CF and author

LisaGreene

Greetings!
Okay, I'll stop lurking and say hi. :) I look forward to getting to know you all. I discovered this board about 3 months ago and am just amazed by everything here. WOW!

My name is Lisa Greene and my husband & I have two kids with CF. Jacob is nine and our daughter Kasey is seven. They are both doing pretty good health-wise (in the big picture).

Jacob has had about 4 nasal surgeries for polyps and has pseudomonas on and off but doesn't currently have any symptoms from it so we are not "chasing the ghost" anymore with antibiotics until we have to. Kasey is about to have her very first nasal surgery this coming Thursday so that will be a stressful time- one never knows how a body will respond to the anesthesia- but we are confident that all will go well. She has already been practicing the nasal rinses with big brother who is teaching her all about it!

We currently live in N California but will soon be moving back to Seattle which is home for us (anybody here from Seattle?). My husband works for a homebuilder and they transferred us there due to a re-org. The home building industry is a mess and we are so lucky to even have a job! The medical insurance is the issue that scares us the most about losing/ changing a job (as you can relate to!).

I am blessed to stay at home with the kids and now that they are in school full time, I have been able to focus on writing a new Love and Logic book (with Foster Cline MD, a well-known child psychiatrist) called "Parenting Children with Health Issues" (what else??!). Of course there's lots of info about CF in this book so check it out on amazon or our website: www.ParentingChildrenWithHealthIssues.com. It is also in many public libraries, hospitals and I hope, someday, in all of the CF clinics (some already have it). We've had some great book reviews.

If you have any ideas about how to get the word out about this book, let me know. Marketing a book is very hard work (as you other authors on this board know only too well!). CFRI has been a big help with this as have CF Pharmacy, Stanford Medical Library and many hospitals and CF clinics around the country. We also do workshops at hospitals and CF clinic family days.

It is so very rewarding to connect with CF families who are all in the same boat as we are. Parenting our CF kids can be really tough sometimes! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions- I remember so very well those early days of diagnosis. It can be such a difficult time but please hang in there! The sun does come back out through the clouds.

I hope your holidays are filled with good cheer and that 2008 brings you healthy, happy families.

Lisa Greene
Mom of 2 kids with CF and author
www.ParentingChildrenWithHealthIssues.com

LisaGreene

Greetings!
Okay, I'll stop lurking and say hi. :) I look forward to getting to know you all. I discovered this board about 3 months ago and am just amazed by everything here. WOW!

My name is Lisa Greene and my husband & I have two kids with CF. Jacob is nine and our daughter Kasey is seven. They are both doing pretty good health-wise (in the big picture).

Jacob has had about 4 nasal surgeries for polyps and has pseudomonas on and off but doesn't currently have any symptoms from it so we are not "chasing the ghost" anymore with antibiotics until we have to. Kasey is about to have her very first nasal surgery this coming Thursday so that will be a stressful time- one never knows how a body will respond to the anesthesia- but we are confident that all will go well. She has already been practicing the nasal rinses with big brother who is teaching her all about it!

We currently live in N California but will soon be moving back to Seattle which is home for us (anybody here from Seattle?). My husband works for a homebuilder and they transferred us there due to a re-org. The home building industry is a mess and we are so lucky to even have a job! The medical insurance is the issue that scares us the most about losing/ changing a job (as you can relate to!).

I am blessed to stay at home with the kids and now that they are in school full time, I have been able to focus on writing a new Love and Logic book (with Foster Cline MD, a well-known child psychiatrist) called "Parenting Children with Health Issues" (what else??!). Of course there's lots of info about CF in this book so check it out on amazon or our website: www.ParentingChildrenWithHealthIssues.com. It is also in many public libraries, hospitals and I hope, someday, in all of the CF clinics (some already have it). We've had some great book reviews.

If you have any ideas about how to get the word out about this book, let me know. Marketing a book is very hard work (as you other authors on this board know only too well!). CFRI has been a big help with this as have CF Pharmacy, Stanford Medical Library and many hospitals and CF clinics around the country. We also do workshops at hospitals and CF clinic family days.

It is so very rewarding to connect with CF families who are all in the same boat as we are. Parenting our CF kids can be really tough sometimes! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions- I remember so very well those early days of diagnosis. It can be such a difficult time but please hang in there! The sun does come back out through the clouds.

I hope your holidays are filled with good cheer and that 2008 brings you healthy, happy families.

Lisa Greene

LisaGreene

Greetings!

Lisa Greene

LisaGreene

Greetings!

Lisa Greene

LisaGreene

Greetings!

Lisa Greene

Alyssa

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the boards!

I am from Seattle, but have just recently moved to North Dakota. Our 19 year old daughter stayed in Seattle. We have a lot of relatives in the Seattle area so I still feel like I'm "in" the area :)

How long ago did you live in Seattle -- and by that I mean did you kids treat there before you moved to CA? Do you need any advise on who to see in Seattle?

My kids were/are being seen by Children's in Seattle. Although all the doctors are good, our favorite is Dr. Ron Gibson -- he is wonderful -- seems to come complete with the entire package - smarts, flexibility, excellent bed side manner, relates well to everyone and is very good with kids as well as the parents. He really takes the time to look at things from every angle and deciding with the parent/patent what is the best course of action. One of the things I miss the most is his ability to put medical/technical information into layman's terms for me and the kids to understand. Our new doctor here in Bismarck is very good, but he does lack that skill - sometimes the nurse will "interpret" for us :)

Oh, and be sure to ask about upcoming parent meetings from the staff at Children's -- they put on at least two very prominent events in the spring of each year. 1) the parent information meeting - all day long event with breakfast and lunch served. This is professionally recorded and you can get the DVD after produced - the entire thing is free 2) Mom's night out - another freeby -- this time a dinner for moms and dads around Mother's Day. This is usually a much smaller function and doesn't include much education, but is a very good opportunity for a good meal and small group discussion/sharing with other parents.

The book sounds wonderful - good luck with that!

Alyssa

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the boards!

I am from Seattle, but have just recently moved to North Dakota. Our 19 year old daughter stayed in Seattle. We have a lot of relatives in the Seattle area so I still feel like I'm "in" the area :)

How long ago did you live in Seattle -- and by that I mean did you kids treat there before you moved to CA? Do you need any advise on who to see in Seattle?

My kids were/are being seen by Children's in Seattle. Although all the doctors are good, our favorite is Dr. Ron Gibson -- he is wonderful -- seems to come complete with the entire package - smarts, flexibility, excellent bed side manner, relates well to everyone and is very good with kids as well as the parents. He really takes the time to look at things from every angle and deciding with the parent/patent what is the best course of action. One of the things I miss the most is his ability to put medical/technical information into layman's terms for me and the kids to understand. Our new doctor here in Bismarck is very good, but he does lack that skill - sometimes the nurse will "interpret" for us :)

Oh, and be sure to ask about upcoming parent meetings from the staff at Children's -- they put on at least two very prominent events in the spring of each year. 1) the parent information meeting - all day long event with breakfast and lunch served. This is professionally recorded and you can get the DVD after produced - the entire thing is free 2) Mom's night out - another freeby -- this time a dinner for moms and dads around Mother's Day. This is usually a much smaller function and doesn't include much education, but is a very good opportunity for a good meal and small group discussion/sharing with other parents.

Alyssa

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the boards!

Alyssa

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the boards!

Alyssa

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the boards!

LisaGreene

Hi Alyssa,
Thanks for such a great welcome! Wow- that was quite a move from Seattle to ND. Are you adjusting to the weather okay? I guess I'll have a big adjustment, too. I am used to mild, sunny winters. I guess I'll get out my umbrella and rain boots!

Funny you metion Dr. Gibson. He was the one who gave us the news of Jacob's first psuedomonas culture :-(. He was so kind and sensitive and informative- exactly as you've described him. We also loved Dr. Rosenfeldt. She helped us alot when our daughter Kasey was born there in Seattle (7 years ago). We've been gone 5 years now but are so grateful that it's home we're headed- as much as I'll miss these wonderful CA winters and the many wonderful friends we've made.

When you visit the Seattle area, email me! I'd love to meet for coffee.

Take care,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Alyssa,
Thanks for such a great welcome! Wow- that was quite a move from Seattle to ND. Are you adjusting to the weather okay? I guess I'll have a big adjustment, too. I am used to mild, sunny winters. I guess I'll get out my umbrella and rain boots!

Funny you metion Dr. Gibson. He was the one who gave us the news of Jacob's first psuedomonas culture :-(. He was so kind and sensitive and informative- exactly as you've described him. We also loved Dr. Rosenfeldt. She helped us alot when our daughter Kasey was born there in Seattle (7 years ago). We've been gone 5 years now but are so grateful that it's home we're headed- as much as I'll miss these wonderful CA winters and the many wonderful friends we've made.

Take care,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Alyssa,

Take care,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Alyssa,

Take care,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Alyssa,

Take care,
Lisa

trinitycf

Hi!! Lisa

My two oldest daughter were just diagnosis with cystic fibrosis and It's been a hard pill to swallow. The way we found out that my oldest daughter had CF is, because last year this time she had pancreatist. The doctor's could not understand why a healthy 12 year would get pancreatist without being ill. To make a long story short it was because of the CF. Then the doctor started asking about my two younger children and by answering some of his question told me to bring my other daughter in soon as possible so I did. Not knowing that my other daughter sweat test will come back postive. The oldest is in the hospital at this present time with complication in her gi tract from Cf. My other daughter to be having problems with her sinus. But we all need to know that God has this all under control. I would like to know more about the Cf affecting the sinus.

trinitycf

Hi!! Lisa

My two oldest daughter were just diagnosis with cystic fibrosis and It's been a hard pill to swallow. The way we found out that my oldest daughter had CF is, because last year this time she had pancreatist. The doctor's could not understand why a healthy 12 year would get pancreatist without being ill. To make a long story short it was because of the CF. Then the doctor started asking about my two younger children and by answering some of his question told me to bring my other daughter in soon as possible so I did. Not knowing that my other daughter sweat test will come back postive. The oldest is in the hospital at this present time with complication in her gi tract from Cf. My other daughter to be having problems with her sinus. But we all need to know that God has this all under control. I would like to know more about the Cf affecting the sinus.

trinitycf

Hi!! Lisa

trinitycf

Hi!! Lisa

trinitycf

Hi!! Lisa