NEW SALINE TREATMENT

anonymous

IM A GRANDFATHER OF A CF GRANDSON,HE IS 18,HE WILL BE DOING THE NEW SALINE TREATMENT SOON.THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WAS DISCOVERED IN AUSTRILA BY THE SURFERS WHO HAD A LOT BETTER LUNG FUNCTION BECAUSE OF THE SALT WATER,NOW IT IS ATREATMENT,HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS TREATMENT,??

julie

Are you talking about Hypertonic saline?

You might get a lot more responses on the adult board posting this question there.

MCPappy

They hypertonic saline is AMAZING! (well at least for me it is=)) I feel like it helps me as much as my vest does. Basically what it does for me is helps me cough really hard and loosens everything in my lungs and then i can cough it all out. I takes a little getting used to with the salty taste and the coughing so hard, but I think that it really has helped me feel tons better on a regular basis.

anonymous

It's definitely a great new therapy. Read up on the adult board. There are a lot of posts regarding this therapy.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My son (who will be 15 next week) just started them too. He really hates them because it is very irritating and it makes him cough so much. But it is amazing to see how much stuff he is able to cough up. Its got to be helping! I'm sure he'll realize its a good thing.

Babygurl06

I am suppose to be starting the hypertonic saline soon and I was wondering what it was like. you know, is there anything I should expect, My doctors said that some people complain of a burning sensation in their throat. can anyone help me to become less nervous about this new treatment?
Thanx.

anonymous

MY GRANDSON JUST STARTED USING THE SALINE THERE IS NOTHING TO BE NERVOUS ABOUT,HE HAS NO PROBLEM AND IT HELPS GET A LOT OF JUNK OUT OF YOUR LUNGS,IT WILL DO THE SAME FOR YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DONT BE NERVOUS,IT A SIMPLE TREATMENT.....

JazzysMom

If you have ever rinsed your mouth with salt water for a pulled tooth or a sore in your mouth? Its along the same idea except that its in mist form going into your lungs. You might cough ALOT more than usual because that is the idea, but if it seems to close up your airways in doing so the saline might be too strong for you. It took me a good week of gagging & coughing for things to settle down. Unless I was having hemoptysis, I didnt worry!

anonymous

My 8 year old daughter tried HS at CF clinic about two weeks ago. They had her try it out in the PFT lab. She seemed to do ok with it to me, although coughed a lot. But her doctor didn't let her continue with it at home because it caused her PFT's to drop into the 30s during the treatment. Instead she was sent home on Pulmozyme. Maybe they will let her try it again another day.

anonymous

I just started this treatment today and it didn't bother me at first but then after awhile it made my throat burn a little. If you have ever eaten flaming hot cheetoes and then taken a deep breath it kinda feels like that. But as long as you drink something cold it goes away and it does make you cough a whole bunch at first but it just makes it really easy to cough up junk.

sarabeth87

i have to go to the clinic and they are gonna have me take a treatment while i'm there so they can make sure that i can tolerate it and it all goes well, then i'll start on it as soon as i can.

anonymous

alrite everyone, i just tried the hypertonic saline in texas childrens hospital in the clinic and found it very helpful. it made me cough quite a bit but it wasnt terrible. I found it very useful and found it loosened evrything up and helped me cough up loads of stuff. its very good apart from you have to make it up yourself which is a bit of a hassel but apart from that the effects are very good

anonymous

Hey I also use the hypertonic saline (those Austrailian surfers are geniuses figuring this out, so simple yet so effective) that stuff is great and to think, its only salt water, to help with the salty problem try putting a piece of hard candy in your mouth when use use it it helps me, maybe it will help you. It also works for other not so good tasting nebulizer treatments

anonymous

Hey I also use the hypertonic saline (those Austrailian surfers are geniuses figuring this out, so simple yet so effective) that stuff is great and to think, its only salt water, to help with the salty problem try putting a piece of hard candy in your mouth when use use it it helps me, maybe it will help you. It also works for other not so good tasting nebulizer treatments