Newborn NICU

vsparks2000

Again, thanks for the reply and you are right about not ever dreaming I'd need this. But I have to tell you see is gorgeous and a little fighter...

vsparks2000

Again, thanks for the reply and you are right about not ever dreaming I'd need this. But I have to tell you see is gorgeous and a little fighter...

vsparks2000

vsparks2000

vsparks2000

just1more

Our son did have an ostomy after birth.

He was born with meconium ileus and it is very common that with a bowel resection (where they have to remove some of the bowel) which is sounds like your little one likely had to have to have a temporary ostomy.

The primary reason is that immediately after surgery the remaining bowels are not in any condition to try to digest and manage food well. In MOST cases after about a month or so they would try to do a 2nd procedure called a take-down where they would remove the ostomy and reconnect everything.

In the interim, they would likely start the enzymes to try and give your daughter a chance to start tolerating food which is a requirement for the take-down to occur.

PS: While I hate to see someone join given the reason we are all here, welcome to the site and feel free to ask anything you can think of.

just1more

He was born with meconium ileus and it is very common that with a bowel resection (where they have to remove some of the bowel) which is sounds like your little one likely had to have to have a temporary ostomy.

The primary reason is that immediately after surgery the remaining bowels are not in any condition to try to digest and manage food well. In MOST cases after about a month or so they would try to do a 2nd procedure called a take-down where they would remove the ostomy and reconnect everything.

In the interim, they would likely start the enzymes to try and give your daughter a chance to start tolerating food which is a requirement for the take-down to occur.

PS: While I hate to see someone join given the reason we are all here, welcome to the site and feel free to ask anything you can think of.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />He was born with meconium ileus and it is very common that with a bowel resection (where they have to remove some of the bowel) which is sounds like your little one likely had to have to have a temporary ostomy.
<br />
<br />The primary reason is that immediately after surgery the remaining bowels are not in any condition to try to digest and manage food well. In MOST cases after about a month or so they would try to do a 2nd procedure called a take-down where they would remove the ostomy and reconnect everything.
<br />
<br />In the interim, they would likely start the enzymes to try and give your daughter a chance to start tolerating food which is a requirement for the take-down to occur.
<br />
<br />PS: While I hate to see someone join given the reason we are all here, welcome to the site and feel free to ask anything you can think of.

DEES4

My son had a double colostomy when he was a day old. The surgeon came out after the surgery and told us that his intestines were in a mess and he did the best he could with them. He went on to tell us that in 20 years of being a surgeon my sons insides would be in the top 10 worst cases he had ever performed surgery on. Needless to say I was a disaster....couldn't quit crying for days. My son had the surgery to reconnect when he was 5 weeks old and this time the surgery went amazingly well. He has done excellent ever since then. He was and still is a fighter. He amazes me at his strength and he is definitely my hero. Your little granddaughter will be sure to amaze you and your family as well. As tough as things seem right now eventually things will get better. Will keep your family in my prayers.
Carrie

DEES4

My son had a double colostomy when he was a day old. The surgeon came out after the surgery and told us that his intestines were in a mess and he did the best he could with them. He went on to tell us that in 20 years of being a surgeon my sons insides would be in the top 10 worst cases he had ever performed surgery on. Needless to say I was a disaster....couldn't quit crying for days. My son had the surgery to reconnect when he was 5 weeks old and this time the surgery went amazingly well. He has done excellent ever since then. He was and still is a fighter. He amazes me at his strength and he is definitely my hero. Your little granddaughter will be sure to amaze you and your family as well. As tough as things seem right now eventually things will get better. Will keep your family in my prayers.
Carrie

DEES4

Carrie

DEES4

Carrie

DEES4

<br />Carrie