Newborn Sweat Test 30

jenlevy33

Hi All- My son is 6 weeks old & has no symptoms of CF. His Sweat test was 30.5 and my husband tested negative for the gene when I was pregnant. My doctor thinks that my son is a carrier like me.
A question about the sweat test. The 1st test was not enough sweat & the second test was supposed to be on for 1/2 hour but because they did not collect enough sweat the 1st time they kept it on for an hour. Would that affect the results?
We sent his blood out for genetic testing after I read about it on this site. How long does that test take its been 2 weeks & it seems like forever.
Thanks for the support!

jenlevy33

Hi All- My son is 6 weeks old & has no symptoms of CF. His Sweat test was 30.5 and my husband tested negative for the gene when I was pregnant. My doctor thinks that my son is a carrier like me.
A question about the sweat test. The 1st test was not enough sweat & the second test was supposed to be on for 1/2 hour but because they did not collect enough sweat the 1st time they kept it on for an hour. Would that affect the results?
We sent his blood out for genetic testing after I read about it on this site. How long does that test take its been 2 weeks & it seems like forever.
Thanks for the support!

jenlevy33

Thanks for the support!

jenlevy33

Thanks for the support!

jenlevy33

Thanks for the support!

oneson

HI there,
from what I gather, the length of return results depends on where your ins. wants to send for processing. I live in NJ, samples sent to CA! my son's took 6 weeks+ to come back.

oneson

HI there,
from what I gather, the length of return results depends on where your ins. wants to send for processing. I live in NJ, samples sent to CA! my son's took 6 weeks+ to come back.

oneson

HI there,

oneson

HI there,

oneson

HI there,

JazzysMom

Its very important that the sweat test be done by an accredited CF Center. The procedure in doing it must be correct or the results can not be dependable.

Newborn results can be tricky becausing of how much they sweat so I definitely would want the genetic testing.

If they are testing for the most "common" genes it should only take a few weeks. It takes longer if they are doing the more advanced panels which would be for "rarer" mutations & other things that come with CF mutations.

Do you know which company they sent it to? If you are lucky enough & its Ambry Genetics, you can communicate with Steve, the Ambry Rep here on the site.

See if you can found out which company the genetic testing was sent to & exactly what testing was ordered........

JazzysMom

Its very important that the sweat test be done by an accredited CF Center. The procedure in doing it must be correct or the results can not be dependable.

Newborn results can be tricky becausing of how much they sweat so I definitely would want the genetic testing.

If they are testing for the most "common" genes it should only take a few weeks. It takes longer if they are doing the more advanced panels which would be for "rarer" mutations & other things that come with CF mutations.

Do you know which company they sent it to? If you are lucky enough & its Ambry Genetics, you can communicate with Steve, the Ambry Rep here on the site.

See if you can found out which company the genetic testing was sent to & exactly what testing was ordered........

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

Alyssa

genetic testing can take up to 6 weeks - sorry, you'll probably just have to wait it out. It is nice that the docs followed up with genetic testing... many people have to fight an uphill battle for that. You should check to make sure they are testing for ALL CF genes and not just a few. There are 1541 CF genes, if they look for anything less than that it is a waste of time and with a questionable sweat test result it is important that they look for all the genes.

It is entirely possible he is only a carrier, but it is also very likely he does have CF, often times no symptoms will show up for a long time. My son, did not start any treatments until he was 21 years old.

Alyssa

genetic testing can take up to 6 weeks - sorry, you'll probably just have to wait it out. It is nice that the docs followed up with genetic testing... many people have to fight an uphill battle for that. You should check to make sure they are testing for ALL CF genes and not just a few. There are 1541 CF genes, if they look for anything less than that it is a waste of time and with a questionable sweat test result it is important that they look for all the genes.

It is entirely possible he is only a carrier, but it is also very likely he does have CF, often times no symptoms will show up for a long time. My son, did not start any treatments until he was 21 years old.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa