NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM..?

kbsonner

Have any of you had this? My son is in Hospital since the 25th of June and they found this in a culture they did with the junk they took out when they did a bronc. All I really know is that it is hard to get rid of and they said he will be on antibiotics for 6-12 months! So there is a PICC line in now. I feel so bad because now he can't go swimming or anything wit th line. Our 1 big family vacation is going to Table Rock Lake camping for a week but now that has to change....If you have delt with this or anything like it please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks to the power of the internet I found this:
(Sorry for the long post)

What is nontuberculous mycobacteria?
Germs, like plants and animals, have been classified into similar groups. The groups are called "families." One such family of germs is known as the Mycobacteriaceae. Within this family there are a number of species. Some species can cause human diseases (pathogenic). Others species do not cause human diseases (saprophytic).
For example, Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an infamous species. This is the organism that causes human tuberculosis. Mycobacterium leprae is the organism that causes leprosy.

What is the difference between tuberculosis (TB) and NTM?
The Nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) refers to all the species in the family of mycobacteria that may cause human disease, but do not cause tuberculosis (TB). Every year in the United States approximately two people per 100,000 population develop infections caused by these lesser-known "cousins" of TB and leprosy. In fact, for unknown reasons, data suggest that there may be rising numbers of cases in certain parts of the country. The most common NTM's that require treatment are M. avium complex, M. kansasii, M. absussus, M. chelonae, M. fortuitum, M. terrae, M. xenopi, and M. simiae.
Unlike TB, which is spread from person to person, NTM infections are not considered contagious. There is no evidence that the infection can be transmitted from one person to another. Just how and why people become infected with NTM is not clear. Although the germs are found easily in water and soil, they do not affect most people. Doctors believe that some people who become infected have an unknown defect in their lung structure or function or in their immune systems. People who have damaged lung tissue from diseases such as emphysema, bronchiectasis or previous TB infection appear to be at greater risk for developing a NTM infection. People who are immunocompromised such as those who receive strong immunosuppressant medications such as prednisone, remicaid, etc. have a greater risk of developing a NTM infection that affects all organs of the body, not only the lungs. Patients with AIDS may also develop NTM infections.

What are the symptoms of an NTM Infection?
Like TB, an NTM infection affects the lungs so the symptoms are similar. Most NTM infections and resulting symptoms progress slowly. Symptoms may include:

Fever
Weight loss
Cough
Lack of appetite
Night sweats
Blood in the sputum (phlegm)
Loss of energy
What is the treatment of NTM?
Most of the NTM infections are naturally resistant to many common antibiotics. It is often necessary to use some of the same medications that are used to treat TB. In order to overcome drug resistance, you may need to take several different antibiotics at the same time. Because many of these medications have side effects, close monitoring is important. Furthermore, treatment may be necessary for as long as two years. Sometimes treatment is ongoing, depending on the severity of the disease.
The most common organisms involved in human infection are M. kansasii, M. avium-complex, M. chelonae and M. abscessus. M. kansasii is easier to treat and often can be killed with only three anti-TB medications. On the other hand, organisms such as M. avium, M. chelonae and M. abscessus are among the most stubborn germs. They are more difficult to treat. Three to five medications may be needed. Depending on how localized the disease is, surgery also may be helpful.

kbsonner

Have any of you had this? My son is in Hospital since the 25th of June and they found this in a culture they did with the junk they took out when they did a bronc. All I really know is that it is hard to get rid of and they said he will be on antibiotics for 6-12 months! So there is a PICC line in now. I feel so bad because now he can't go swimming or anything wit th line. Our 1 big family vacation is going to Table Rock Lake camping for a week but now that has to change....If you have delt with this or anything like it please let me know. Thanks!

Germs, like plants and animals, have been classified into similar groups. The groups are called "families." One such family of germs is known as the Mycobacteriaceae. Within this family there are a number of species. Some species can cause human diseases (pathogenic). Others species do not cause human diseases (saprophytic).
For example, Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an infamous species. This is the organism that causes human tuberculosis. Mycobacterium leprae is the organism that causes leprosy.

The Nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) refers to all the species in the family of mycobacteria that may cause human disease, but do not cause tuberculosis (TB). Every year in the United States approximately two people per 100,000 population develop infections caused by these lesser-known "cousins" of TB and leprosy. In fact, for unknown reasons, data suggest that there may be rising numbers of cases in certain parts of the country. The most common NTM's that require treatment are M. avium complex, M. kansasii, M. absussus, M. chelonae, M. fortuitum, M. terrae, M. xenopi, and M. simiae.
Unlike TB, which is spread from person to person, NTM infections are not considered contagious. There is no evidence that the infection can be transmitted from one person to another. Just how and why people become infected with NTM is not clear. Although the germs are found easily in water and soil, they do not affect most people. Doctors believe that some people who become infected have an unknown defect in their lung structure or function or in their immune systems. People who have damaged lung tissue from diseases such as emphysema, bronchiectasis or previous TB infection appear to be at greater risk for developing a NTM infection. People who are immunocompromised such as those who receive strong immunosuppressant medications such as prednisone, remicaid, etc. have a greater risk of developing a NTM infection that affects all organs of the body, not only the lungs. Patients with AIDS may also develop NTM infections.

Like TB, an NTM infection affects the lungs so the symptoms are similar. Most NTM infections and resulting symptoms progress slowly. Symptoms may include:

Fever
Weight loss
Cough
Lack of appetite
Night sweats
Loss of energy
Most of the NTM infections are naturally resistant to many common antibiotics. It is often necessary to use some of the same medications that are used to treat TB. In order to overcome drug resistance, you may need to take several different antibiotics at the same time. Because many of these medications have side effects, close monitoring is important. Furthermore, treatment may be necessary for as long as two years. Sometimes treatment is ongoing, depending on the severity of the disease.
The most common organisms involved in human infection are M. kansasii, M. avium-complex, M. chelonae and M. abscessus. M. kansasii is easier to treat and often can be killed with only three anti-TB medications. On the other hand, organisms such as M. avium, M. chelonae and M. abscessus are among the most stubborn germs. They are more difficult to treat. Three to five medications may be needed. Depending on how localized the disease is, surgery also may be helpful.

kbsonner

Fever
Weight loss
Cough
Lack of appetite
Night sweats
Loss of energy

kbsonner

Fever
Weight loss
Cough
Lack of appetite
Night sweats
Loss of energy

kbsonner

<br />
<br />Thanks to the power of the internet I found this:
<br />(Sorry for the long post)
<br />
<br />What is nontuberculous mycobacteria?
<br />Germs, like plants and animals, have been classified into similar groups. The groups are called "families." One such family of germs is known as the Mycobacteriaceae. Within this family there are a number of species. Some species can cause human diseases (pathogenic). Others species do not cause human diseases (saprophytic).
<br />For example, Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an infamous species. This is the organism that causes human tuberculosis. Mycobacterium leprae is the organism that causes leprosy.
<br />
<br />
<br />What is the difference between tuberculosis (TB) and NTM?
<br />The Nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) refers to all the species in the family of mycobacteria that may cause human disease, but do not cause tuberculosis (TB). Every year in the United States approximately two people per 100,000 population develop infections caused by these lesser-known "cousins" of TB and leprosy. In fact, for unknown reasons, data suggest that there may be rising numbers of cases in certain parts of the country. The most common NTM's that require treatment are M. avium complex, M. kansasii, M. absussus, M. chelonae, M. fortuitum, M. terrae, M. xenopi, and M. simiae.
<br />Unlike TB, which is spread from person to person, NTM infections are not considered contagious. There is no evidence that the infection can be transmitted from one person to another. Just how and why people become infected with NTM is not clear. Although the germs are found easily in water and soil, they do not affect most people. Doctors believe that some people who become infected have an unknown defect in their lung structure or function or in their immune systems. People who have damaged lung tissue from diseases such as emphysema, bronchiectasis or previous TB infection appear to be at greater risk for developing a NTM infection. People who are immunocompromised such as those who receive strong immunosuppressant medications such as prednisone, remicaid, etc. have a greater risk of developing a NTM infection that affects all organs of the body, not only the lungs. Patients with AIDS may also develop NTM infections.
<br />
<br />
<br />What are the symptoms of an NTM Infection?
<br />Like TB, an NTM infection affects the lungs so the symptoms are similar. Most NTM infections and resulting symptoms progress slowly. Symptoms may include:
<br />
<br />Fever
<br />Weight loss
<br />Cough
<br />Lack of appetite
<br />Night sweats
<br />Blood in the sputum (phlegm)
<br />Loss of energy
<br />What is the treatment of NTM?
<br />Most of the NTM infections are naturally resistant to many common antibiotics. It is often necessary to use some of the same medications that are used to treat TB. In order to overcome drug resistance, you may need to take several different antibiotics at the same time. Because many of these medications have side effects, close monitoring is important. Furthermore, treatment may be necessary for as long as two years. Sometimes treatment is ongoing, depending on the severity of the disease.
<br />The most common organisms involved in human infection are M. kansasii, M. avium-complex, M. chelonae and M. abscessus. M. kansasii is easier to treat and often can be killed with only three anti-TB medications. On the other hand, organisms such as M. avium, M. chelonae and M. abscessus are among the most stubborn germs. They are more difficult to treat. Three to five medications may be needed. Depending on how localized the disease is, surgery also may be helpful.
<br />

momofemilykay

Kelly,
My daughter Emily had the mycobacterium abscessus when she was 5. She was on two oral antibiotics and two iv antibiotics at the same time. This lasted for about 6 weeks. She has not cultured it since then. I guess the way they chose to treat it worked.
I was very nervous because the thought was that it may take much longer to get rid of, but maybe we caught it early.
Hope this info helps.
Cheryl
mom to Emily, 7 w/cf; Douglas, 11 no cf; Donnie 17, no cf

momofemilykay

Kelly,
My daughter Emily had the mycobacterium abscessus when she was 5. She was on two oral antibiotics and two iv antibiotics at the same time. This lasted for about 6 weeks. She has not cultured it since then. I guess the way they chose to treat it worked.
I was very nervous because the thought was that it may take much longer to get rid of, but maybe we caught it early.
Hope this info helps.
Cheryl

momofemilykay

Kelly,
Hope this info helps.
Cheryl

momofemilykay

Kelly,
Hope this info helps.
Cheryl

momofemilykay

Kelly,
<br />My daughter Emily had the mycobacterium abscessus when she was 5. She was on two oral antibiotics and two iv antibiotics at the same time. This lasted for about 6 weeks. She has not cultured it since then. I guess the way they chose to treat it worked.
<br />I was very nervous because the thought was that it may take much longer to get rid of, but maybe we caught it early.
<br />Hope this info helps.
<br />Cheryl
<br />mom to Emily, 7 w/cf; Douglas, 11 no cf; Donnie 17, no cf

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, my kids were successfully treated for NTM in the past two years. Originally the culture showed M. abcessus, but later it was found to be a new bacterium never seen before. The doctors tried several different nebulized, oral and IV antibiotics before settling on two oral and one IV drug which they did for 6 months. Yes, 6 months is a long time, but if it gets rids of the bugs, ITS WORTH IT!!!

Both my boys did their IVs four times a day from May to November, through summer (our vacation at the beach) and school. Whatever it takes. It sounds daunting when you first start out, but it goes by quickly.

Please PM me if I can help you with anything. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Good luck!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, my kids were successfully treated for NTM in the past two years. Originally the culture showed M. abcessus, but later it was found to be a new bacterium never seen before. The doctors tried several different nebulized, oral and IV antibiotics before settling on two oral and one IV drug which they did for 6 months. Yes, 6 months is a long time, but if it gets rids of the bugs, ITS WORTH IT!!!

Both my boys did their IVs four times a day from May to November, through summer (our vacation at the beach) and school. Whatever it takes. It sounds daunting when you first start out, but it goes by quickly.

Please PM me if I can help you with anything. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Good luck!

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />Both my boys did their IVs four times a day from May to November, through summer (our vacation at the beach) and school. Whatever it takes. It sounds daunting when you first start out, but it goes by quickly.
<br />
<br />Please PM me if I can help you with anything. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Good luck!

CowTown

Do you know which mycobacteria he has? As your post listed there are many different kinds and each one might help determine which treatment course to take.

I have had M. Avium Complex for about 11 years now, culturing it all along. We started treating mine about 2.5 years ago, b/c before that it wasn't really effecting me. I'm still treating it, but most people seem to get rid of it within the 2 year mark. From my experience, I think I'd suggest treating it sooner then later, and not waiting.

Not sure where you're located but, one of the expert centers on mycobacteriums (combo-ed with CF) is the National Jewish Medical Center in Denver Colorado:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationaljewish.org/
">http://www.nationaljewish.org/
</a>
I'll PM you if you have any other questions that I can help with.

CowTown

Do you know which mycobacteria he has? As your post listed there are many different kinds and each one might help determine which treatment course to take.

I have had M. Avium Complex for about 11 years now, culturing it all along. We started treating mine about 2.5 years ago, b/c before that it wasn't really effecting me. I'm still treating it, but most people seem to get rid of it within the 2 year mark. From my experience, I think I'd suggest treating it sooner then later, and not waiting.

Not sure where you're located but, one of the expert centers on mycobacteriums (combo-ed with CF) is the National Jewish Medical Center in Denver Colorado:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationaljewish.org/
</a>

CowTown

</a>

CowTown

</a>

CowTown

<br />
<br />I have had M. Avium Complex for about 11 years now, culturing it all along. We started treating mine about 2.5 years ago, b/c before that it wasn't really effecting me. I'm still treating it, but most people seem to get rid of it within the 2 year mark. From my experience, I think I'd suggest treating it sooner then later, and not waiting.
<br />
<br />Not sure where you're located but, one of the expert centers on mycobacteriums (combo-ed with CF) is the National Jewish Medical Center in Denver Colorado:
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationaljewish.org/
</a><br />
<br />I'll PM you if you have any other questions that I can help with.
<br />
<br />