Only one in family with CF

Dea

I have HUGE families on both my mom and my dad's sides. I was also the first with CF...then my brother was born. There was no family history of it on either side...it is definitely strange how things happen.
<br />So it is just my brother and I ...
<br />Dea

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS as well. Both our families have extensive family histories going back hundreds of years. We scoured them of early deaths and the majority lived well into their 70s-late 80s. The only exception was my uncle who was stillborn and my paternal grandfather who died at age 45 of pancreatic cancer. Otherwise nothing.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS as well. Both our families have extensive family histories going back hundreds of years. We scoured them of early deaths and the majority lived well into their 70s-late 80s. The only exception was my uncle who was stillborn and my paternal grandfather who died at age 45 of pancreatic cancer. Otherwise nothing.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

martysmom

We have been looking back into our family history as well. My husband's side had a lot of cancers, but nothing with CF. There isn't even anyone with asthma! My side on the other hand there is tons of stuff. We have had lots of Crohn's disease, infant deaths, congenital heart disease, cancer and the list goes on and on. I have a feeling that within all that something correlates with CF. My grandmother's sister died in infancy and they has no idea what it was. 10 million americans are carriers, which I think is an astronomical number! So I can not see how all those carriers could have a family history.

Hope everyone is well!

martysmom

We have been looking back into our family history as well. My husband's side had a lot of cancers, but nothing with CF. There isn't even anyone with asthma! My side on the other hand there is tons of stuff. We have had lots of Crohn's disease, infant deaths, congenital heart disease, cancer and the list goes on and on. I have a feeling that within all that something correlates with CF. My grandmother's sister died in infancy and they has no idea what it was. 10 million americans are carriers, which I think is an astronomical number! So I can not see how all those carriers could have a family history.

Hope everyone is well!

martysmom

<br />
<br />Hope everyone is well!

iwantmypup

Same with me. We haven't really looked far far into the family history, but we've asked my grandmother on my moms side and there has been no CF. On my dads side I don't really know.

iwantmypup

Same with me. We haven't really looked far far into the family history, but we've asked my grandmother on my moms side and there has been no CF. On my dads side I don't really know.

iwantmypup

Jennyvb17

I think its due to the fact that it wasn't often diagnosed since the last 30 years.

I'm the only in my family as well, although there are young deaths from unknown reasons

Jennyvb17

I think its due to the fact that it wasn't often diagnosed since the last 30 years.

I'm the only in my family as well, although there are young deaths from unknown reasons

Jennyvb17

<br />
<br />I'm the only in my family as well, although there are young deaths from unknown reasons

B

bugsyroscoe

Our 3yo niece on my husband's side was diagnosed with CF at birth. Her parents both were carrier tested and had an idea they had a chance. Her uncle on her dad's side had CF (breathe easy Joe). Not 6 months later, our dd was born and dx with CF and we had absolutely no clue. It never even crossed our mind that it was even a risk. There is absolutely no history on either side of our family...I certainly would like to do some more research on it though.