Oxygen dependence

mousesmom

Thank you all for your input. Lex, I think you're right, it's a psycological dependence. It's hard for a 16 yr old to accept that she is getting worse and needs the O2, but I will show her your posts so that she can see she's not alone. Monique tries to give her advice but feels a little guilty because her health is so much better.
I got quite a scare when Connie wouldn't let me do her CPT because she says ther'es no point & she doesn't care anymore, my heart just breaks when she talks like that.

mousesmom

Thank you all for your input. Lex, I think you're right, it's a psycological dependence. It's hard for a 16 yr old to accept that she is getting worse and needs the O2, but I will show her your posts so that she can see she's not alone. Monique tries to give her advice but feels a little guilty because her health is so much better.
I got quite a scare when Connie wouldn't let me do her CPT because she says ther'es no point & she doesn't care anymore, my heart just breaks when she talks like that.

mousesmom

mousesmom

mousesmom

<br />I got quite a scare when Connie wouldn't let me do her CPT because she says ther'es no point & she doesn't care anymore, my heart just breaks when she talks like that.

carmick

Does she feel like she needs the O2 in the morning more than she did at night, causing the feeling that she was getting hooked? She might have the O2 turned up too high. If you are inhaling more than you need, it can cause the level of carbon dioxide to rise in your blood, making you more symptomatic when you try to remove the O2. I was using three liters at night for awhile and would get really bad headaches in the morning so my doctor had me go down to 2 and I haven't had the O2 "withdrawl" symptoms in the morning because my O2/CO2 levels don't have to balance out. She might want to talk to her doctors about trying different levels.

carmick

Does she feel like she needs the O2 in the morning more than she did at night, causing the feeling that she was getting hooked? She might have the O2 turned up too high. If you are inhaling more than you need, it can cause the level of carbon dioxide to rise in your blood, making you more symptomatic when you try to remove the O2. I was using three liters at night for awhile and would get really bad headaches in the morning so my doctor had me go down to 2 and I haven't had the O2 "withdrawl" symptoms in the morning because my O2/CO2 levels don't have to balance out. She might want to talk to her doctors about trying different levels.

carmick

carmick

carmick

theLostMiler

I asked my doctor this exact question, because I had heard, along the lines of "once your body gets used to the higher amount of oxygen, when you go off, you wont be able to function 'right'"

He said that was a lie, and like the above poster said, when you need it, you need it. He said something along the lines like, its like a blood pressure medicine, you only take it when you need it.

It helped me feel a lot better about needing oxygen at night (and w/ exhurtion) because I felt like, I would be stuck with o2 from no on.

I also hear a lot of times that, oxygen is used as a "comfort" thing, like in ambulances, they always put a mask on you regardless b/c it has a calming affect.

theLostMiler

I asked my doctor this exact question, because I had heard, along the lines of "once your body gets used to the higher amount of oxygen, when you go off, you wont be able to function 'right'"

He said that was a lie, and like the above poster said, when you need it, you need it. He said something along the lines like, its like a blood pressure medicine, you only take it when you need it.

It helped me feel a lot better about needing oxygen at night (and w/ exhurtion) because I felt like, I would be stuck with o2 from no on.

I also hear a lot of times that, oxygen is used as a "comfort" thing, like in ambulances, they always put a mask on you regardless b/c it has a calming affect.

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />He said that was a lie, and like the above poster said, when you need it, you need it. He said something along the lines like, its like a blood pressure medicine, you only take it when you need it.
<br />
<br />It helped me feel a lot better about needing oxygen at night (and w/ exhurtion) because I felt like, I would be stuck with o2 from no on.
<br />
<br />I also hear a lot of times that, oxygen is used as a "comfort" thing, like in ambulances, they always put a mask on you regardless b/c it has a calming affect.

krisgabes

This was a great post! I have been sick and on iv for about 3 months now and this bout on iv, I have been feeling more out of breath on exursion and like hyperventilating after a coughing attack. I think I'm definately going to call my doctor tomorrow and talk to him about it. I think I could use some o2 at night. Thanks all!!

krisgabes

This was a great post! I have been sick and on iv for about 3 months now and this bout on iv, I have been feeling more out of breath on exursion and like hyperventilating after a coughing attack. I think I'm definately going to call my doctor tomorrow and talk to him about it. I think I could use some o2 at night. Thanks all!!

krisgabes

krisgabes

krisgabes