Pain killers

Havoc

Part of the problem is the government, and believe it or not there are people out there who are lobbying for more government control. I got into a huge debate over on another site (weather site, strangely) with a woman who was lobbying for tougher government control and monitoring of schedule drugs.

Long story short, her son was out with friends, who had Rx narcs on them. They were stopped by the police for something routine and panicked. So all the guys in the car swallowed the pills. The cops let them go and they went to grab a hot dog before going home. Well that night the narcs kicked in with some of their usual side effects of nausea, but the kid had taken enough to suppress his gag reflex and chocked to death on hios vomit. Sad story and I would be angry as a parent that I lost my kid over some stupid circumstance. But this woman is hell bent on nobody getting narcs who aren't supposed to have them.

The problem is that people will still abuse narcotics no matter what is done, and the people who suffer, as we have seen here, are people who legitimately need pain control. Every state is different in their Prescription Monitoring Program, and you can research yours online. The fear docs have is that they will get flagged for writing too many scripts for controlled substances. The PMP programs are designed to monitor people who are "doctor shopping" ie. those who go to 2 or 2 docs and get multiple scripts of the same thing. They are also looking for those docs who supply seekers with their narcs. And I think there lies the problem, some docs just don't believe in aggressive pain management, but I think some are just afraid to get flagged. A friend of mine, who is a dentist, let his DEA number drop (apparently they have to renew it after a number of years). I think he did so because he didn't prescribe enough narcotics to justify going through the process. I will ask him though about the process and whether or not he ever felt that he was being watched by "big brother."

Unfortunately, the flaw with this problem is that if you present to the emergency department they have to treat you based on your chief complaint. Seekers know this, and frequently abuse the emergency system. So, they are still getting their fix, and they are bogging down the system with necessary stuff making those with legit problems wait in the process.

In my mind these programs do not solve any problems, rather they create more. Frankly, I'd rather see them put my tax dollars into programs to help people break addiction to narcotics than simply identify them and prevent them from getting prescriptions. Those who are marked as seekers and are unable to get multiple prescriptions filled will likely just switch to heroin anyway.

I am sorry that you're having trouble getting the relief you need, hopefully I've at least explained a little about why. A pain clinic might be the way to go, but you need a doc to write you a script for those as well.

Havoc

Part of the problem is the government, and believe it or not there are people out there who are lobbying for more government control. I got into a huge debate over on another site (weather site, strangely) with a woman who was lobbying for tougher government control and monitoring of schedule drugs.

Long story short, her son was out with friends, who had Rx narcs on them. They were stopped by the police for something routine and panicked. So all the guys in the car swallowed the pills. The cops let them go and they went to grab a hot dog before going home. Well that night the narcs kicked in with some of their usual side effects of nausea, but the kid had taken enough to suppress his gag reflex and chocked to death on hios vomit. Sad story and I would be angry as a parent that I lost my kid over some stupid circumstance. But this woman is hell bent on nobody getting narcs who aren't supposed to have them.

The problem is that people will still abuse narcotics no matter what is done, and the people who suffer, as we have seen here, are people who legitimately need pain control. Every state is different in their Prescription Monitoring Program, and you can research yours online. The fear docs have is that they will get flagged for writing too many scripts for controlled substances. The PMP programs are designed to monitor people who are "doctor shopping" ie. those who go to 2 or 2 docs and get multiple scripts of the same thing. They are also looking for those docs who supply seekers with their narcs. And I think there lies the problem, some docs just don't believe in aggressive pain management, but I think some are just afraid to get flagged. A friend of mine, who is a dentist, let his DEA number drop (apparently they have to renew it after a number of years). I think he did so because he didn't prescribe enough narcotics to justify going through the process. I will ask him though about the process and whether or not he ever felt that he was being watched by "big brother."

Unfortunately, the flaw with this problem is that if you present to the emergency department they have to treat you based on your chief complaint. Seekers know this, and frequently abuse the emergency system. So, they are still getting their fix, and they are bogging down the system with necessary stuff making those with legit problems wait in the process.

In my mind these programs do not solve any problems, rather they create more. Frankly, I'd rather see them put my tax dollars into programs to help people break addiction to narcotics than simply identify them and prevent them from getting prescriptions. Those who are marked as seekers and are unable to get multiple prescriptions filled will likely just switch to heroin anyway.

I am sorry that you're having trouble getting the relief you need, hopefully I've at least explained a little about why. A pain clinic might be the way to go, but you need a doc to write you a script for those as well.

Havoc

Havoc

Havoc

<br />
<br />Long story short, her son was out with friends, who had Rx narcs on them. They were stopped by the police for something routine and panicked. So all the guys in the car swallowed the pills. The cops let them go and they went to grab a hot dog before going home. Well that night the narcs kicked in with some of their usual side effects of nausea, but the kid had taken enough to suppress his gag reflex and chocked to death on hios vomit. Sad story and I would be angry as a parent that I lost my kid over some stupid circumstance. But this woman is hell bent on nobody getting narcs who aren't supposed to have them.
<br />
<br />The problem is that people will still abuse narcotics no matter what is done, and the people who suffer, as we have seen here, are people who legitimately need pain control. Every state is different in their Prescription Monitoring Program, and you can research yours online. The fear docs have is that they will get flagged for writing too many scripts for controlled substances. The PMP programs are designed to monitor people who are "doctor shopping" ie. those who go to 2 or 2 docs and get multiple scripts of the same thing. They are also looking for those docs who supply seekers with their narcs. And I think there lies the problem, some docs just don't believe in aggressive pain management, but I think some are just afraid to get flagged. A friend of mine, who is a dentist, let his DEA number drop (apparently they have to renew it after a number of years). I think he did so because he didn't prescribe enough narcotics to justify going through the process. I will ask him though about the process and whether or not he ever felt that he was being watched by "big brother."
<br />
<br />Unfortunately, the flaw with this problem is that if you present to the emergency department they have to treat you based on your chief complaint. Seekers know this, and frequently abuse the emergency system. So, they are still getting their fix, and they are bogging down the system with necessary stuff making those with legit problems wait in the process.
<br />
<br />In my mind these programs do not solve any problems, rather they create more. Frankly, I'd rather see them put my tax dollars into programs to help people break addiction to narcotics than simply identify them and prevent them from getting prescriptions. Those who are marked as seekers and are unable to get multiple prescriptions filled will likely just switch to heroin anyway.
<br />
<br />I am sorry that you're having trouble getting the relief you need, hopefully I've at least explained a little about why. A pain clinic might be the way to go, but you need a doc to write you a script for those as well.

kmaried

Hey,

I really understand, too. I have arthritis that flares up at times. Anyway, both my CF team and rheumatologist are good with prescribing me percocet. I try to take it as little as possible (plus, to me, it's like admitting defeat to my body when I take it)... but if I didn't have that I'd have to take a lot more sick days from work. I just wouldn't be able to get myself up, dressed, and walk in from the parking lot... much less function once I got there. I've even tried to take a half or quarter to take as little as possible while helping me.

I was worried about addiction at first... I have had NO DESIRE to take them unless I'm in pain. Actually, they make me a little nauseous - but that is a small price to pay for taking the pain away and letting me function. There's no way I'd want to get nauseous for the heck of it, lol. It really stinks that some people abuse it, and you have to suffer.

I hope you get someone to acknowledge and treat the pain you are in.

Kris

kmaried

Hey,

I really understand, too. I have arthritis that flares up at times. Anyway, both my CF team and rheumatologist are good with prescribing me percocet. I try to take it as little as possible (plus, to me, it's like admitting defeat to my body when I take it)... but if I didn't have that I'd have to take a lot more sick days from work. I just wouldn't be able to get myself up, dressed, and walk in from the parking lot... much less function once I got there. I've even tried to take a half or quarter to take as little as possible while helping me.

I was worried about addiction at first... I have had NO DESIRE to take them unless I'm in pain. Actually, they make me a little nauseous - but that is a small price to pay for taking the pain away and letting me function. There's no way I'd want to get nauseous for the heck of it, lol. It really stinks that some people abuse it, and you have to suffer.

Kris

kmaried

Hey,

Kris

kmaried

Hey,

Kris

kmaried

Hey,
<br />
<br />I really understand, too. I have arthritis that flares up at times. Anyway, both my CF team and rheumatologist are good with prescribing me percocet. I try to take it as little as possible (plus, to me, it's like admitting defeat to my body when I take it)... but if I didn't have that I'd have to take a lot more sick days from work. I just wouldn't be able to get myself up, dressed, and walk in from the parking lot... much less function once I got there. I've even tried to take a half or quarter to take as little as possible while helping me.
<br />
<br />I was worried about addiction at first... I have had NO DESIRE to take them unless I'm in pain. Actually, they make me a little nauseous - but that is a small price to pay for taking the pain away and letting me function. There's no way I'd want to get nauseous for the heck of it, lol. It really stinks that some people abuse it, and you have to suffer.
<br />
<br />I hope you get someone to acknowledge and treat the pain you are in.
<br />
<br />Kris

crystalina0814

I have to give an update!

I ended up in SO much pain that I was physically vommiting. I had the adult CF physician on duty this past weekend paged. I explained the situation and after practically begging ( so I am sure I appear to be an abuser, but at that point I did not care) I was finally prescribed Vicodin on top of Prednisone. Surprisingly, the doc prescribed a bottle of 60! Wow. Did not expect that. My last prescription was a whole 5, haha. Long story short, After two doses of Vicodin, and a dose of Prednisone, my pain was gone. I no longer needed the pain killers.

All that frusteration, two doses later, and I am done. Happy as can be, and has moved on. The bottle still sitting here, and I have no intent on taking them for no apparent reason, as most responsible CF patients.

Now my question is. Was it worth it. Seriously, that was ridiculous! I am so confused at how they can so willingly hand out Marinol at my clinic for appetite, but are weirded out at the request of a few doses of Vicodin. Haha, I will never get it!

Thank you for all the support and responses!

crystalina0814

I ended up in SO much pain that I was physically vommiting. I had the adult CF physician on duty this past weekend paged. I explained the situation and after practically begging ( so I am sure I appear to be an abuser, but at that point I did not care) I was finally prescribed Vicodin on top of Prednisone. Surprisingly, the doc prescribed a bottle of 60! Wow. Did not expect that. My last prescription was a whole 5, haha. Long story short, After two doses of Vicodin, and a dose of Prednisone, my pain was gone. I no longer needed the pain killers.

All that frusteration, two doses later, and I am done. Happy as can be, and has moved on. The bottle still sitting here, and I have no intent on taking them for no apparent reason, as most responsible CF patients.

Now my question is. Was it worth it. Seriously, that was ridiculous! I am so confused at how they can so willingly hand out Marinol at my clinic for appetite, but are weirded out at the request of a few doses of Vicodin. Haha, I will never get it!

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

<br />
<br />I ended up in SO much pain that I was physically vommiting. I had the adult CF physician on duty this past weekend paged. I explained the situation and after practically begging ( so I am sure I appear to be an abuser, but at that point I did not care) I was finally prescribed Vicodin on top of Prednisone. Surprisingly, the doc prescribed a bottle of 60! Wow. Did not expect that. My last prescription was a whole 5, haha. Long story short, After two doses of Vicodin, and a dose of Prednisone, my pain was gone. I no longer needed the pain killers.
<br />
<br />All that frusteration, two doses later, and I am done. Happy as can be, and has moved on. The bottle still sitting here, and I have no intent on taking them for no apparent reason, as most responsible CF patients.
<br />
<br />Now my question is. Was it worth it. Seriously, that was ridiculous! I am so confused at how they can so willingly hand out Marinol at my clinic for appetite, but are weirded out at the request of a few doses of Vicodin. Haha, I will never get it!
<br />
<br />Thank you for all the support and responses!

mustang347gt

yea i'm in the same boat...it sux so much but there are some people with cf that..um overmedicate themselfs..there think well i'm not gonna live long to might as well be messed up.i see what they r talking bout also...but i take 5 mg marinol..and the only way i got it was i don't feel like eating and i feel the need to puke every single day...

mustang347gt

yea i'm in the same boat...it sux so much but there are some people with cf that..um overmedicate themselfs..there think well i'm not gonna live long to might as well be messed up.i see what they r talking bout also...but i take 5 mg marinol..and the only way i got it was i don't feel like eating and i feel the need to puke every single day...

mustang347gt

mustang347gt

mustang347gt