pancreatic insufficent->sufficient

ymikhale

my daughter's latest fecal elastase test came out at 440 or something. She has been on Creon since she was diagnosed a year ago given that her first elastase came out at 60 and she had all the symptoms of pancreatic insufficiency. Now they are talking about taking her off enzymes but I don't understand how her pancreatic function could actually get better (it just keeps getting worse, doesn't it). I do give her papaya puree and try to keep her diet on alkaline side but still I would imagine that this wouldn't be enough.

any feedback would be appreciated.

ymikhale

my daughter's latest fecal elastase test came out at 440 or something. She has been on Creon since she was diagnosed a year ago given that her first elastase came out at 60 and she had all the symptoms of pancreatic insufficiency. Now they are talking about taking her off enzymes but I don't understand how her pancreatic function could actually get better (it just keeps getting worse, doesn't it). I do give her papaya puree and try to keep her diet on alkaline side but still I would imagine that this wouldn't be enough.

ymikhale

ymikhale

ymikhale

<br />
<br />any feedback would be appreciated.

hmw

Did they have you discontinue her enzymes before doing the repeat test? It would seem to me that the repeat test would be essentially worthless if it was done while taking Creon. (That might be a total no-brainer question but I had to ask. Doctors do such completely counter-productive things sometimes...)

Even if she was, since she was so symptomatic prior to starting Creon, and has been (I assume) responding to treatment since- I would ask for a repeat test just to be sure, since so much rides on appropriate treatment and you don't want to lose any ground that has been gained in the last yr.

hmw

Did they have you discontinue her enzymes before doing the repeat test? It would seem to me that the repeat test would be essentially worthless if it was done while taking Creon. (That might be a total no-brainer question but I had to ask. Doctors do such completely counter-productive things sometimes...)

Even if she was, since she was so symptomatic prior to starting Creon, and has been (I assume) responding to treatment since- I would ask for a repeat test just to be sure, since so much rides on appropriate treatment and you don't want to lose any ground that has been gained in the last yr.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Even if she was, since she was so symptomatic prior to starting Creon, and has been (I assume) responding to treatment since- I would ask for a repeat test just to be sure, since so much rides on appropriate treatment and you don't want to lose any ground that has been gained in the last yr.

M

Mommafirst

I don't think you have to go off the enzymes to test. We didn't. My daughter's is 250 (so sufficient, but very close to the insufficient cutoff).

I was told that it was possible for her to drop and become insufficient, but also possible for her sufficiency to get better. They didn't think it was likely that it would flip flop up and down, but that it might take a few years to regulate to its "norm".

M

Mommafirst

I don't think you have to go off the enzymes to test. We didn't. My daughter's is 250 (so sufficient, but very close to the insufficient cutoff).

I was told that it was possible for her to drop and become insufficient, but also possible for her sufficiency to get better. They didn't think it was likely that it would flip flop up and down, but that it might take a few years to regulate to its "norm".

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I was told that it was possible for her to drop and become insufficient, but also possible for her sufficiency to get better. They didn't think it was likely that it would flip flop up and down, but that it might take a few years to regulate to its "norm".

S

SarahProcter

You don't have to go off the enzymes to do an accurate fecal elastase test. The prescription enzymes are pig enzymes and they can tell the difference (they don't register in the poop test for [human] elastase).

S

SarahProcter

You don't have to go off the enzymes to do an accurate fecal elastase test. The prescription enzymes are pig enzymes and they can tell the difference (they don't register in the poop test for [human] elastase).

S

SarahProcter

S

SarahProcter

S

SarahProcter