peak flow meter

Jeana

<P>Anyone have a peak flow meter at home to check your FEV1? The one I saw on Amazon is only about 40 bucks, but I want to know if they are pretty accurate or way off before I buy one. If you blow in your 60s on one, is that about where you would blow in a <NOBR><A class=FAAdLink id=FALINK_3_0_2 href="#">doctor</A></NOBR>'s office or are they 10% off or more? Also, do you need a doctor's prescription?</P>
<P></P>
<P><A href="http://www.amazon.com/Microlife-PF-100-Meter-Spirometry/dp/B000BH8TUA">http://www.amazon.com/Microlife-PF-100-Meter-Spirometry/dp/B000BH8TUA</A></P>

Jeana

<P>Anyone have a peak flow meter at home to check your FEV1? The one I saw on Amazon is only about 40 bucks, but I want to know if they are pretty accurate or way off before I buy one. If you blow in your 60s on one, is that about where you would blow in a <NOBR><A class=FAAdLink id=FALINK_3_0_2 href="#">doctor</A></NOBR>'s office or are they 10% off or more? Also, do you need a doctor's prescription?</P>
<P></P>
<P><A href="http://www.amazon.com/Microlife-PF-100-Meter-Spirometry/dp/B000BH8TUA">http://www.amazon.com/Microlife-PF-100-Meter-Spirometry/dp/B000BH8TUA</A></P>

Jeana

<P></P>

Melissa75

Administrator
Jeana, My health insurance asthma care program gave me one for free. It measures.the volume of air exhaled but not in one second or whatever FEV1 measures. So maybe it is more a measure of FVC not sure. I hope someone else can clarify this because now you got me curious.
I also saw you directed a question at me in the exercise thread...I don't seem to get emails about postings in threads I want to follow. So in case that happens to you too, I'll post here. I don't work full-time and I live 8 min from one gym that has daycare until 9 pm. The climbing gym is 13 min away and a weekend thing only. Plus w/o as many inhaled meds as most - so far- I get more time that way too. Family understands it's a priority and really only 4-6 hrs a wk including transportation. My climbing partner works f/t and. I can see how that makes things harder.

Melissa75

Administrator
Jeana, My health insurance asthma care program gave me one for free. It measures.the volume of air exhaled but not in one second or whatever FEV1 measures. So maybe it is more a measure of FVC not sure. I hope someone else can clarify this because now you got me curious.
I also saw you directed a question at me in the exercise thread...I don't seem to get emails about postings in threads I want to follow. So in case that happens to you too, I'll post here. I don't work full-time and I live 8 min from one gym that has daycare until 9 pm. The climbing gym is 13 min away and a weekend thing only. Plus w/o as many inhaled meds as most - so far- I get more time that way too. Family understands it's a priority and really only 4-6 hrs a wk including transportation. My climbing partner works f/t and. I can see how that makes things harder.

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator
Duh, sorry, I just clicked on the link you provided and see that the device you're looking at is way cooler than what I have and DOES measure FEV1.

Melissa75

Administrator
Duh, sorry, I just clicked on the link you provided and see that the device you're looking at is way cooler than what I have and DOES measure FEV1.

Melissa75

Administrator

Jana

I have one as well but can' t remember what I paid for it. My pulmonary doctor prescribed it, and the pharmacy ordered it, but I'm not sure if that's the way it has to be done.

Like Melissa's, mine doesn't give FEV1. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but it is consistent, so I know if there's a change. I find it helpful.

Jana

I have one as well but can' t remember what I paid for it. My pulmonary doctor prescribed it, and the pharmacy ordered it, but I'm not sure if that's the way it has to be done.

Like Melissa's, mine doesn't give FEV1. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but it is consistent, so I know if there's a change. I find it helpful.

Jana

Jana

Jana

Jana

Zarocks

I have the same one, it seems pretty accurate. The numbers I get on the PFT machine at the clinic are nearly the same. I asked my doctor about it and he didn't seem to be a huge fan, but I think I benefit.

I usually just pay attention to the FEV1 number. There are calculator online to help you find out your % predicted. Otherwise, your doctor's office should be able to give you that number (in liters). One thing I found is that it's pretty easy to "cheat" on this device, so be sure not to modify your breathing technique from your usual.

Zarocks

I have the same one, it seems pretty accurate. The numbers I get on the PFT machine at the clinic are nearly the same. I asked my doctor about it and he didn't seem to be a huge fan, but I think I benefit.

I usually just pay attention to the FEV1 number. There are calculator online to help you find out your % predicted. Otherwise, your doctor's office should be able to give you that number (in liters). One thing I found is that it's pretty easy to "cheat" on this device, so be sure not to modify your breathing technique from your usual.

Zarocks

A

alegris

Jeanna,
I have the same one you posted. It measure FVC and FEV1. I bought it 4-5 years ago at a drug store for about $100. I find the FVC isn't very accurate but the FEV1 is decent. I usually blow a few points higher at the clinic so I don't mind that at all. I also found the way to 'cheat' on this device but overall it's a pretty good predictive tool to keep around.

A

alegris

Jeanna,
I have the same one you posted. It measure FVC and FEV1. I bought it 4-5 years ago at a drug store for about $100. I find the FVC isn't very accurate but the FEV1 is decent. I usually blow a few points higher at the clinic so I don't mind that at all. I also found the way to 'cheat' on this device but overall it's a pretty good predictive tool to keep around.