Pets

Beowulf

There was an old forum thread on this topic, however I wanted to contribute to the discussion with a current question, as I am presented with a dilemma regarding pets.

What would you do?

Thanks.

Beowulf

There was an old forum thread on this topic, however I wanted to contribute to the discussion with a current question, as I am presented with a dilemma regarding pets.

What would you do?

Thanks.

Beowulf

What would you do?

Thanks.

Beowulf

What would you do?

Thanks.

Beowulf

<br />
<br />What would you do?
<br />
<br />Thanks.

Melissa75

Administrator
Hopefully, you'll get a reply from someone with CF; but I will bump you up the thread list with my opinions ;-)

1) My sympathies to you for giving up your dog Maggie. That must have been so hard, but you are awesome for realizing that she could have a better life and for finding her a great home.

2) Ten year olds can't usually be responsible for training a pet, so your wife will be adding another responsibility to HER list. And Chihauhuas are not outside dogs so she should ask herself if she prepared to fully potty train this new dog and make sure it has nice manners.

3) You don't say how your lungs feel at home vs. in petless places, but with that many pets, I would assume that even if you have zero allergies, you are being affected by irritants in the air. It would depend on the climate you live in too. Windows open, I can handle a hamster cage...windows closed, I tighten up. At this point though, a chihuahua is not going to make much of a difference from that perspective. Nonetheless, I would get allergy testing done. Even if your family could not give up any of the pets, you could at least take meds or get shots.

Now, from the moral/ideological perspective, I think it would be better to work on bringing the existing dogs more into the family/house rather than getting another dog. Leaving the three outside most of the time and rarely walking them is not good for them. Dogs love their people. Thankfully, you have three so I am sure they see themselves as a pack and are not lonely/sad. But they have the potential to be so much more. I'd at least bring them in at night consistently.

I love animals, but because of asthma with (or because of?) my bronchiectasis, I can't have many. Growing up, my family had lots of cats and they were part of the family (e.g. they got turkey on Thanksgiving too) and all were in at night every night no matter if we had to hunt for them for an hour which thankfully happened only once).

I have a standard poodle/lab mix and he is VERY much part of the family. I am mildly allergic to dogs and get shots. My dog does not shed and I keep him cut on the short side since neither he nor I likes brushing him. He sleeps on my bed (bad, I know) and every morning I walk him while my husband and kids are sleeping. He plays outside with two dogs in the neighborhood everyday also because he is only 10 months old and his energy level is HIGH. He is a velcro dog. My mom was visiting and said that he cries for a couple minutes whenever I leave. I guess he could use a little more independence ;-)

So, like you I have a different take on living with animals, but I do believe that they are very adaptable. If I were you, I would work toward thinning the herd not adding to it and first to go would be the rodents but that is my personal opinion lol.
_________
Melissa, 34, bronchiectasis (no CF)

Melissa75

Administrator
Hopefully, you'll get a reply from someone with CF; but I will bump you up the thread list with my opinions ;-)

1) My sympathies to you for giving up your dog Maggie. That must have been so hard, but you are awesome for realizing that she could have a better life and for finding her a great home.

2) Ten year olds can't usually be responsible for training a pet, so your wife will be adding another responsibility to HER list. And Chihauhuas are not outside dogs so she should ask herself if she prepared to fully potty train this new dog and make sure it has nice manners.

3) You don't say how your lungs feel at home vs. in petless places, but with that many pets, I would assume that even if you have zero allergies, you are being affected by irritants in the air. It would depend on the climate you live in too. Windows open, I can handle a hamster cage...windows closed, I tighten up. At this point though, a chihuahua is not going to make much of a difference from that perspective. Nonetheless, I would get allergy testing done. Even if your family could not give up any of the pets, you could at least take meds or get shots.

Now, from the moral/ideological perspective, I think it would be better to work on bringing the existing dogs more into the family/house rather than getting another dog. Leaving the three outside most of the time and rarely walking them is not good for them. Dogs love their people. Thankfully, you have three so I am sure they see themselves as a pack and are not lonely/sad. But they have the potential to be so much more. I'd at least bring them in at night consistently.

I love animals, but because of asthma with (or because of?) my bronchiectasis, I can't have many. Growing up, my family had lots of cats and they were part of the family (e.g. they got turkey on Thanksgiving too) and all were in at night every night no matter if we had to hunt for them for an hour which thankfully happened only once).

I have a standard poodle/lab mix and he is VERY much part of the family. I am mildly allergic to dogs and get shots. My dog does not shed and I keep him cut on the short side since neither he nor I likes brushing him. He sleeps on my bed (bad, I know) and every morning I walk him while my husband and kids are sleeping. He plays outside with two dogs in the neighborhood everyday also because he is only 10 months old and his energy level is HIGH. He is a velcro dog. My mom was visiting and said that he cries for a couple minutes whenever I leave. I guess he could use a little more independence ;-)

So, like you I have a different take on living with animals, but I do believe that they are very adaptable. If I were you, I would work toward thinning the herd not adding to it and first to go would be the rodents but that is my personal opinion lol.
_________

Melissa75

Administrator

_________

Melissa75

Administrator

_________

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />
<br />1) My sympathies to you for giving up your dog Maggie. That must have been so hard, but you are awesome for realizing that she could have a better life and for finding her a great home.
<br />
<br />2) Ten year olds can't usually be responsible for training a pet, so your wife will be adding another responsibility to HER list. And Chihauhuas are not outside dogs so she should ask herself if she prepared to fully potty train this new dog and make sure it has nice manners.
<br />
<br />3) You don't say how your lungs feel at home vs. in petless places, but with that many pets, I would assume that even if you have zero allergies, you are being affected by irritants in the air. It would depend on the climate you live in too. Windows open, I can handle a hamster cage...windows closed, I tighten up. At this point though, a chihuahua is not going to make much of a difference from that perspective. Nonetheless, I would get allergy testing done. Even if your family could not give up any of the pets, you could at least take meds or get shots.
<br />
<br />Now, from the moral/ideological perspective, I think it would be better to work on bringing the existing dogs more into the family/house rather than getting another dog. Leaving the three outside most of the time and rarely walking them is not good for them. Dogs love their people. Thankfully, you have three so I am sure they see themselves as a pack and are not lonely/sad. But they have the potential to be so much more. I'd at least bring them in at night consistently.
<br />
<br />I love animals, but because of asthma with (or because of?) my bronchiectasis, I can't have many. Growing up, my family had lots of cats and they were part of the family (e.g. they got turkey on Thanksgiving too) and all were in at night every night no matter if we had to hunt for them for an hour which thankfully happened only once).
<br />
<br />I have a standard poodle/lab mix and he is VERY much part of the family. I am mildly allergic to dogs and get shots. My dog does not shed and I keep him cut on the short side since neither he nor I likes brushing him. He sleeps on my bed (bad, I know) and every morning I walk him while my husband and kids are sleeping. He plays outside with two dogs in the neighborhood everyday also because he is only 10 months old and his energy level is HIGH. He is a velcro dog. My mom was visiting and said that he cries for a couple minutes whenever I leave. I guess he could use a little more independence ;-)
<br />
<br />So, like you I have a different take on living with animals, but I do believe that they are very adaptable. If I were you, I would work toward thinning the herd not adding to it and first to go would be the rodents but that is my personal opinion lol.
<br />_________
<br />Melissa, 34, bronchiectasis (no CF)

MicheleGazelle

Really short answer: I don't have any pets and I can't imagine marrying someone with tons of pets. When I was a teenager, I told my then boyfriend he could decide up front if he wanted to marry me or if he wanted to have German Shepherds and Doberman Pincers like he grew up with. He chose to marry me. The pet discussion never came up again.

It's a really tricky situation to deal with something like this when you marry someone who has a kid of their own. It's not like when two single people get married. I think that's part of why this thread has been kind of overlooked. It's a potential land mine. I know I am reluctant to say too much for that reason. I generally feel strongly that marriage is a private matter and people need to work that stuff out between themselves and no one needs me telling them what to tell their spouse about anything. Also, I have never been in this situation in part because I addressed the issue before I got married and we just never had any pets.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Really short answer: I don't have any pets and I can't imagine marrying someone with tons of pets. When I was a teenager, I told my then boyfriend he could decide up front if he wanted to marry me or if he wanted to have German Shepherds and Doberman Pincers like he grew up with. He chose to marry me. The pet discussion never came up again.

It's a really tricky situation to deal with something like this when you marry someone who has a kid of their own. It's not like when two single people get married. I think that's part of why this thread has been kind of overlooked. It's a potential land mine. I know I am reluctant to say too much for that reason. I generally feel strongly that marriage is a private matter and people need to work that stuff out between themselves and no one needs me telling them what to tell their spouse about anything. Also, I have never been in this situation in part because I addressed the issue before I got married and we just never had any pets.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />It's a really tricky situation to deal with something like this when you marry someone who has a kid of their own. It's not like when two single people get married. I think that's part of why this thread has been kind of overlooked. It's a potential land mine. I know I am reluctant to say too much for that reason. I generally feel strongly that marriage is a private matter and people need to work that stuff out between themselves and no one needs me telling them what to tell their spouse about anything. Also, I have never been in this situation in part because I addressed the issue before I got married and we just never had any pets.
<br />
<br />Good luck with this.

Havoc

If you are allergic to pets, I think this is a horrible situation to be putting yourself in. Myself, I am highly allergic to cats and large breed dogs. As a kid we only had one small dog who was immaculately groomed and I did not have any allergy to. Personally, I would not risk my health for a pet, and as your family they shouldn't be wanting to put you at risk either.

Havoc

If you are allergic to pets, I think this is a horrible situation to be putting yourself in. Myself, I am highly allergic to cats and large breed dogs. As a kid we only had one small dog who was immaculately groomed and I did not have any allergy to. Personally, I would not risk my health for a pet, and as your family they shouldn't be wanting to put you at risk either.

Havoc

Havoc

Havoc