pfts getting hard to do

igotalife

Not sure if anyone can relate, but I am finding that pfts seem harder to do than they used to.
I can't get a good handle on my technique like I used to be able to.
Physically I feel better and have more energy than I used to-and sputum even seems better than it used to. But my #s don't seem to be reflecting the rest of my symptoms.
(which is why I am on a tuneup currently)
The staff tries to remind me not to focus too much on numbers right now-bc everything else is improving. Hopefully time is what I need. But I've been taught my whole life to focus on the numbers.

Does anyone have pft techniques they'd like to share? Or thoughts on my situation?

I'm getting frustrated here. Working like a dog and not seeing too many results.

igotalife

Not sure if anyone can relate, but I am finding that pfts seem harder to do than they used to.
Physically I feel better and have more energy than I used to-and sputum even seems better than it used to. But my #s don't seem to be reflecting the rest of my symptoms.
The staff tries to remind me not to focus too much on numbers right now-bc everything else is improving. Hopefully time is what I need. But I've been taught my whole life to focus on the numbers.

Does anyone have pft techniques they'd like to share? Or thoughts on my situation?

I'm getting frustrated here. Working like a dog and not seeing too many results.

igotalife

igotalife

igotalife

<br />I can't get a good handle on my technique like I used to be able to.
<br />Physically I feel better and have more energy than I used to-and sputum even seems better than it used to. But my #s don't seem to be reflecting the rest of my symptoms.
<br />(which is why I am on a tuneup currently)
<br />The staff tries to remind me not to focus too much on numbers right now-bc everything else is improving. Hopefully time is what I need. But I've been taught my whole life to focus on the numbers.
<br />
<br />Does anyone have pft techniques they'd like to share? Or thoughts on my situation?
<br />
<br />I'm getting frustrated here. Working like a dog and not seeing too many results.
<br />
<br />

Transplantmommy

Sorry that you are at this point and I don't really have any techniques to share. Do you stand or sit to do the PFT's? Sometimes it is better to stand if you are sitting. If you are already standing, then I have no idea. Oh....are you making sure that you have nose plugs on too? That can make a difference.

When I was healthy pre-TX, I would do three runs, take a bronchodialator, and then do three more. When I started to get really sick, I coughed all the way through them and nothing seemed to help. I would do one or two runs and that was it total. I couldn't do anymore.

I hope that they get better for you.

Transplantmommy

Sorry that you are at this point and I don't really have any techniques to share. Do you stand or sit to do the PFT's? Sometimes it is better to stand if you are sitting. If you are already standing, then I have no idea. Oh....are you making sure that you have nose plugs on too? That can make a difference.

When I was healthy pre-TX, I would do three runs, take a bronchodialator, and then do three more. When I started to get really sick, I coughed all the way through them and nothing seemed to help. I would do one or two runs and that was it total. I couldn't do anymore.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />When I was healthy pre-TX, I would do three runs, take a bronchodialator, and then do three more. When I started to get really sick, I coughed all the way through them and nothing seemed to help. I would do one or two runs and that was it total. I couldn't do anymore.
<br />
<br />I hope that they get better for you.

Hermit

Ugh. I have a really hard time doing PFTs nowadays because I always end up puking!
The techniques I an offer you are these:
1) Breathe down as deeply into your tummy as you can, REALLY use your diaphragm.
2) Try to tilt your head up a bit to keep your upper airways wide open.
3) Pay attention to where your tongue goes--for me I have to remember to keep it down at the bottom of my mouth to avoid obstructing the airflow.
4) Stay as RELAXED as you can. Getting anxious always makes me do worse.
5) Try to keep your rib-cage lifted and supported.

I'm an opera singer (or was before I became listed for lung transplant, lol!) and these are also singing techniques. I've found them helpful for PFTs too though, so I hope your questions are answered somewhat.

Hermit

Ugh. I have a really hard time doing PFTs nowadays because I always end up puking!
1) Breathe down as deeply into your tummy as you can, REALLY use your diaphragm.
3) Pay attention to where your tongue goes--for me I have to remember to keep it down at the bottom of my mouth to avoid obstructing the airflow.

I'm an opera singer (or was before I became listed for lung transplant, lol!) and these are also singing techniques. I've found them helpful for PFTs too though, so I hope your questions are answered somewhat.

Hermit

Hermit

Hermit

<br />The techniques I an offer you are these:
<br />1) Breathe down as deeply into your tummy as you can, REALLY use your diaphragm.
<br />2) Try to tilt your head up a bit to keep your upper airways wide open.
<br />3) Pay attention to where your tongue goes--for me I have to remember to keep it down at the bottom of my mouth to avoid obstructing the airflow.
<br />4) Stay as RELAXED as you can. Getting anxious always makes me do worse.
<br />5) Try to keep your rib-cage lifted and supported.
<br />
<br />I'm an opera singer (or was before I became listed for lung transplant, lol!) and these are also singing techniques. I've found them helpful for PFTs too though, so I hope your questions are answered somewhat.

catboogie

Hermit touched on what I was going to say. A PFT technician told me about a year ago to try to relax once I got the initial huff of air out. She said that if you tense up, it makes your airways collapse and the air will just be stuck in there. She said this happens to people with lung disease the older they get.

I do try to do this now. However, I was aware at the time that there might be some inconsistance in switching techniques. Unfortunately my numbers are so suck-ola nowadays that it doesn't matter.

Good luck! And I know what you mean about PFTs being hard... I've often thought that if we could only take in a big breath of oxygen before we blow that our bodies might not fight the urge to inhale so much.

catboogie

Hermit touched on what I was going to say. A PFT technician told me about a year ago to try to relax once I got the initial huff of air out. She said that if you tense up, it makes your airways collapse and the air will just be stuck in there. She said this happens to people with lung disease the older they get.

I do try to do this now. However, I was aware at the time that there might be some inconsistance in switching techniques. Unfortunately my numbers are so suck-ola nowadays that it doesn't matter.

Good luck! And I know what you mean about PFTs being hard... I've often thought that if we could only take in a big breath of oxygen before we blow that our bodies might not fight the urge to inhale so much.

catboogie

catboogie

catboogie

<br />
<br />I do try to do this now. However, I was aware at the time that there might be some inconsistance in switching techniques. Unfortunately my numbers are so suck-ola nowadays that it doesn't matter.
<br />
<br />Good luck! And I know what you mean about PFTs being hard... I've often thought that if we could only take in a big breath of oxygen before we blow that our bodies might not fight the urge to inhale so much.
<br />
<br />